• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sunapee PD requiring 4 page P&R Application

They want the single standard page, plus 3 detailed reference sheets filled out and signed by the references. I will be calling them tomorrow to see WTF that's about.

I cannot stand it when the police overstep their bounds and play their "I am the law!" games.

Last edited:
Welcome to Massachusetts...oh wait...good luck with that. It's B.S. here, it's B.S. every where...let us know how it works out.

They want the single standard page, plus 3 detailed reference sheets filled out and signed by the references. I will be calling them tomorrow to see WTF that's about.

I cannot stand it when the police overstep their bounds and play their "I am the law!" games.

Just download the application on the state website and submit it to the Sunapee PD with nothing extra since nothing extra is required (per RSA 159:6).

Also, the departments do send out (well some do, Lee and Barrington do not) a one page questionnaire to your references that asks three or four questions (yes or no answers) about mental health, drugs, etc. They may have attached those questionnaires with the application so that they do not have to mail out the questionnaire themselves because they are being lazy and because if the reference do not respond, they have to issue the license (provided you are not statutorily disqualified of course).

State application: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf

You have probably already seen RSA 159, but I am linking to it anyway: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-mrg.htm

Just download the application on the state website and submit it to the Sunapee PD with nothing extra since nothing extra is required (per RSA 159:6).

Send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

If they don't issue the permit in 14 days, sue them.

This.

When you win the case, the PD will be forced to pay for your legal expenses.

Send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

If they don't issue the permit in 14 days, sue them.

Contact GONH and Attorney Penny Dean regarding this, she will tell you the same thing. And she may be willing to take the case.

The statute is perfectly clear that only the official form is required, no other form is to be used, and a failure to hear from ones references is not a valid reason for denial or delay.

Nice to see that that bullshit doesn't stop at the Massachusetts border.
sarcasm.gif

The OP is in NH, and NH is a shall issue state if I remember right.
http://www.usacarry.com/new_hampshire_concealed_carry_permit_information.html
These requests are total BS and the CoP could his butt in a sling with the State if he denied the CCW to the OP without good cause (Felon)

I know what usa carry says, and I know what most people think, and I have a NH non-res permit, but apparently it is not so cut and dried as we have been led to believe, and that NH while considered to be a shall issue state de facto may in fact not be so de jure. This was a topic of discussion on this forum several months ago.

Last edited:
I know what usa carry says, and I know what most people think, and I have a NH non-res permit, but apparently it is not so cut and dried as we have been led to believe, and that NH while considered to be a shall issue state de facto may in fact not be so de jure. This was a topic of discussion on this forum several months ago.

Those are very, very rare, specific cases, and nowhere near enough to start making generalizations like that.

Those are very, very rare, specific cases, and nowhere near enough to start making generalizations like that.

Kindly read just a tad more critcally Scott, that was a speculation not a generalization. I said may because I honestly don't know nor did I imply that it was fact. Sometimes the subtleties of the English language are overlooked [sad]. I didn't bring it up in this forum, others did. I suggested in my post that it might not be so cut and dried. You are the one who has jumped to conclusions thereby providing still more anecdotal evidence to me that this Forum is jumping to conclusions and shooting from the hip way too often. [wink]

I think some of our Live Free or Die Sons of Liberty are thinkin' they are living over by Egypt near a river called Da Nile or more properly expressed: denial about the way things are up there. It would seem that the Granite State isn't quite as wild and wooly red blooded America as some would make it. Those who counter that argument with "Well it isn't really NH, it is all the Ma**h***s in Southern NH. Oh that's different that's Nashua and Manchester..."well Manchester and Nashua and the little towns around them are in New Hampshire as in the state of. I'd simply say that NH is NH once you cross the border, and if it was this Libertarian Paradise where you can walk down the streets of Manchester openly heeled like down Front Street in Tombstone headed for the OK Corral (oh wait, you couldn't do that in Tombstone because there was a local gun control ordnance established by the Earps); then why did Obama win in NH 2008 and why is NH now considered a swing state? Just askin' that's all...[rolleyes]

Last edited:
I think some of our Live Free or Die Sons of Liberty are thinkin' they are living over by Egypt near a river called Da Nile or more properly expressed: denial about the way things are up there. It would seem that the Granite State isn't quite as wild and wooly red blooded America as some would make it. Those who counter that argument with "Well it isn't really NH, it is all the Ma**h***s in Southern NH. Oh that's different that's Nashua and Manchester..."well Manchester and Nashua and the little towns around them are in New Hampshire as in the state of. I'd simply say that NH is NH once you cross the border, and if it was this Libertarian Paradise where you can walk down the streets of Manchester openly heeled like down Front Street in Tombstone headed for the OK Corral (oh wait, you couldn't do that in Tombstone because there was a local gun control ordnance established by the Earps); then why did Obama win in NH 2008 and why is NH now considered a swing state? Just askin' that's all...[rolleyes]

Misery loves company, and VVSI flaws in my diamond doesn't make it just like your piece of coal.

Every state has chiefs of police who chose to act like petty tyrants, make up their own laws and their own forms and prerequisites. Every state with Open Carry has cops and chiefs who don't understand the laws, who harass people who lawfully open carry. The difference is that in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, a chief of police who pulls this sort of stunt gets away with it. In New Hampshire, once a citizen is actually denied because of something like what Sunapee is doing, the chief not only has to change his ways, but also has to pay the legal bills. This makes NH different from MA and RI, and as long as justice prevails in the end, it's still a free state, even if there are a few chiefs who have to learn that the hard way.

Misery loves company, and VVSI flaws in my diamond doesn't make it just like your piece of coal.

Such a pity you have to turn this into something personal...I'm disappointed in you ScottS. New Hampshire is Massachusetts of about 60 years ago. Given the fact that time seems to move faster today in terms of social change it won't take sixty years for that to happen, all I can say is enjoy your little island of freedom now, because it isn't going to last.

Such a pity you have to turn this into something personal...I'm disappointed in you ScottS. New Hampshire is Massachusetts of about 60 years ago. Given the fact that time seems to move faster today in terms of social change it won't take sixty years for that to happen, all I can say is enjoy your little island of freedom now, because it isn't going to last.
Sour grapes much?

mark056 said:
I think some of our Live Free or Die Sons of Liberty are thinkin' they are living over by Egypt near a river called Da Nile or more properly expressed: denial about the way things are up there.
If anything, weapons law in effect in New Hampshire have been trending towards more freedom, not less.

Sour grapes much?

If anything, weapons law in effect in New Hampshire have been trending towards more freedom, not less.

No sour grapes it is just that you don't have it as good as you think you do, and what is de facto (i.e. the way gun laws are implemented and enforced in fact ) as opposed to de jure (what's on the books) might be two different things, anyway I frequently detect a feeling of complacency amongst NH gun owners. It is only going to take a few hundred thousand more Ma**h***s to cross the border and things will really start to change. Think not? Look what all the people from LA are doing to Montana?

If things are as you say, then Barry O' shouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in November in NH, but apparently that isn't necessarily so.

Last edited:
No sour grapes it is just that you don't have it as good as you think you do, and what is de facto (i.e. the way gun laws are implemented and enforced in fact ) as opposed to de jure (what's on the books) might be two different things, anyway I frequently detect a feeling of complacency amongst NH gun owners. It is only going to take a few hundred thousand more Ma**h***s to cross the border and things will really start to change. Think not? Look what all the people from LA are doing to Montana?

If things are as you say, then Barry O' shouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in November in NH, but apparently that isn't necessarily so.

For reasons I don't fully understand, you seem to equate whether or not Zero carries NH to some fabricated (in your mind) erosion of gun rights in NH. Maybe you missed the overwhelming sweep of the House and Senate by NH Republicans in the last election cycle. Maybe you missed the pro-gun legislation passed in the last two legislative sessions. We didn't get all we hoped for, but the last time I looked, legislators were arguing over which Constitutional Carry bill they should pass. Perhaps you could point to similar legislative battles in MA in the last 60 years (your chosen timetable.)

I feel bad you are taking this so personally, but if you step back and evaluate it objectively, it does look like sour grapes. There have been three-quarters of a shitload of P&R Licenses issues in NH, and we can point to maybe five times they have been held-up/denied in some egregious fashion. That stretches the concept of a "trend of eroding rights," and it's what makes the sour grapes argument more compelling.

For reasons I don't fully understand, you seem to equate whether or not Zero carries NH to some fabricated (in your mind) erosion of gun rights in NH. Maybe you missed the overwhelming sweep of the House and Senate by NH Republicans in the last election cycle. Maybe you missed the pro-gun legislation passed in the last two legislative sessions. We didn't get all we hoped for, but the last time I looked, legislators were arguing over which Constitutional Carry bill they should pass. Perhaps you could point to similar legislative battles in MA in the last 60 years (your chosen timetable.)

I feel bad you are taking this so personally, but if you step back and evaluate it objectively, it does look like sour grapes. There have been three-quarters of a shitload of P&R Licenses issues in NH, and we can point to maybe five times they have been held-up/denied in some egregious fashion. That stretches the concept of a "trend of eroding rights," and it's what makes the sour grapes argument more compelling.

Well, they wouldn't have any time to try getting any good legislation passed. They are way too busy fighting over FA-10 forms and the E-FA-10 system.

[rofl][rolleyes]

It's not sour grapes believe me, but this is degenerating into a "my state is better than your state" kind of immature thing that is counterproductive and perhaps a sign of emotional immaturity. If you cannot see the connection between Barry O' winning your state and the eventual erosion of your "Live Free or Die" mentality, then you fail to understand cause and effect and historical perspective.

It's too bad because I am on your side. I don't have to live in Massachusetts, it was and is my choice and I can live with my choices because I've got mine license-wise and major shooting interests involve in either relatively low-cap .45's, revolvers or guns made mainly before 1994 so I don't have to have a Springfield XD and I have never really cared for Glocks. Nothing would change too much with regard to my shooting habits or collection if I moved to New Hampshire tomorrow, but that's just me. With regard to how we run things here in Mass, I am part of the system and I made my deal with the devil, just make sure you don't or more importantly sow the seeds for future damage. I seem to recall your constitutional carry provision was a "sure thing"...yeah I know, there are several versions pending, let's see what gets passed. Maybe you're right and I am just a stupid jerk-off Ma**h***, but that's not my intent here..

Racenet, you are esp disappointing, roll your eyes and laugh at a fellow 2A advocate, hell the gun grabbers don't need to get us, we do it to ourselves. I don't know if you are having a bad day, are simply being arrogant because you feel that you trump one over on some poor schmuck from Mass, or you are just stupid and insensitive.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, it is the NH Chiefs of Police Association lobbying efforts that's behind the efforts to stop the repeal of the silly pistol "licenses" that we have here.

Don't forget, the police department itself gets to keep the cold cash generated through the licensing process.

Back
Top Bottom