Summary of laws regarding Interstate sales/transfers.

What, if anything, prevents an MA resident interested in obtaining, say, a bunch of new Glocks, from simply acquiring an FFL and buying them in NH, or direct from Glock?

A couple of points:

Getting a Type 01 FFL is a pain in the ass and is not doable by the average person. These days you have to show intent to run a legitimate business to get one, among zoning considerations and other things, and in MA there's a second permit that's also required from the state/local level. Yes, you could do this, and it would work. The thing is
though is it is the equivalent of purchasing an Abrahms tank to crush a fly. [laugh]

WRT buying one out of state, when the glock hits the MA dealer, the MA dealer will (typically) reject it if it is not compliant. All interstate handgun sales must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence (as required by FEDERAL law) so this means that if an MA resident buys a Glock somewhere and transfers it to MA, most MA dealers will
not transfer it to the end MA buyer if it is not compliant.

-Mike

Last edited:
Handguns

ANY handgun transfer between residents of two different states MUST involve an FFL in the state of the purchaser. One may not leave the state, purchase a handgun in NH, VT, or any other state, and bring it back, it MUST go through a MA dealer. This is why one cannot easily obtain firearms that are not Massachusetts compliant. And that goes for "free state" residents as well. Since most dealers will not receive shipments of handguns from persons not holding an FFL, this generally means that the firearm must be transferred from the seller to an FFL in his state, then shipped to the FFL in the purchaser's state to do the transfer. That's three transfers! Don't try to get around these laws, they are federal, not Massachusetts or any other state, and breaking them will land you a pristine spot in a federal penitentiary next to a 300lb. guy named Bubba.

so, let me get this straight. if i, a MA ressident, wants to sell a pistol to a VT ressident. i have to go through a FFL in MA and VT? i can't just drive the 30 minutes to a FFL in VT and do the transfer there?

so, let me get this straight. if i, a MA ressident, wants to sell a pistol to a VT ressident. i have to go through a FFL in MA and VT? i can't just drive the 30 minutes to a FFL in VT and do the transfer there?

You can drive the handgun to the VT FFL, they can intake it, and then they transfer it to the VT resident.

Reading comprehension.... [wink]

"...MUST involve an FFL in the state of the purchaser"

-Mike

Yep. The part about shipping is meant to refer to most sales (like Gunbroker/AA sales) where the gun must be shipped due to the distances involved.

If i buy a 22 cal rifle in texas can i bring it back into massachusetts...

Yes, providing it complies with the AWB and it doesn't include any post-ban (manufactured after 9/13/94), large capacity (10+ rounds) mags.

...and do i report it

Yes. You must file the FA-10 within 7 days (Check off "Registration", and leave the seller's information blank).

While I was in North Carolina visiting family I picked up a .22 rifle at the local Walmart. I know that I have 7 days to "register" it on a FA-10 once I bring it back into MA.

Also while I was there in NC, my brother in law offered to give me an old shotgun that was my wife's deceased father's but I refused because I was under the impression that it would have to go through an FFL. After doing some reading tonight though, I am unsure now. Could I have brought it back and then filed an FA-10 to "register" it? Especially because it would be a gift, isn't there a law for this?

Not a big issue now as I am back in MA but next visit I would like to bring it back following the proper laws.

...I was under the impression that it would have to go through an FFL. After doing some reading tonight though, I am unsure now. Could I have brought it back and then filed an FA-10 to "register" it?

It must be transferred to you by a FFL, then you can bring it back and submit a FA-10.

I live in NH and I want to buy a pistol from a seller in MA. From what I understand they need to bring/ship the firearm to an FFL in NH in order to sell to me? The FFL takes "posession" and then transfers to me? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you!

I live in NH and I want to buy a pistol from a seller in MA. From what I understand they need to bring/ship the firearm to an FFL in NH in order to sell to me? The FFL takes "posession" and then transfers to me? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you!

You are correct. That is Federal Law.

Looking at the above posts from Artie and Kevlar, I'm still a bit puzzled about out of state purchases. Assuming person-to-person sales of long guns is legal in the state where I'm purchasing, and it's Legal for me to possess long guns in the state I'm purchasing, and the long gun I'm purchasing is OK to own in MA, I can not buy a .22 or a shotgun face to face, and register it when I return to MA? Only when purchased through an out of state FFL?

Looking at the above posts from Artie and Kevlar, I'm still a bit puzzled about out of state purchases. Assuming person-to-person sales of long guns is legal in the state where I'm purchasing, and it's Legal for me to possess long guns in the state I'm purchasing, and the long gun I'm purchasing is OK to own in MA, I can not buy a .22 or a shotgun face to face, and register it when I return to MA? Only when purchased through an out of state FFL?

I really don't know how we can make this clearer to you and others here.

FEDERAL LAW prohibits ALL FTF transactions between RESIDENTS of different states, period!

Doesn't matter what state law is, Fed Law trumps it.

So all sales/trades/gifts between two individuals that don't live in the same state must go thru an FFL (any state were legal for long guns, only new owner's state for handguns/lowers/receivers/frames).

Federal law prohibits transfers/sale of firearms between residents of two different states. Face to Face between MA Residents, OK! Face to Face between NH and MA, JAIL TIME!

As long as the 22 RIFLE or the shotgun is legal for you to possess in MA, you can go to a NH FFL and do the transfer through that FFL. eFA10 it when you get home.

I'm not sure this is the place: but these rules get my head spinning:

I'm guessing that if one were to complete an FFL transfer from one state to MA, the handgun still needs to satisfy AG regs in MA?

So if a friend of mine had a "post ban" Glock 19 in Maine that he was selling, he couldn't transfer it to me in MA using an FFL, even if he didn't include magazines?

I'm not sure this is the place: but these rules get my head spinning:

I'm guessing that if one were to complete an FFL transfer from one state to MA, the handgun still needs to satisfy AG regs in MA?

So if a friend of mine had a "post ban" Glock 19 in Maine that he was selling, he couldn't transfer it to me in MA using an FFL, even if he didn't include magazines?

Fed Law mandates that all handgun transfers across state lines (owner and buyer live in different states) MUST go thru an FFL in the state of the new owner. Said MA FFL must comply with MGLs, so if the gun isn't compliant with the AG Regs and on the EOPS Roster, MGL prohibits the MA Dealer from making the transfer.

Fed Law mandates that all handgun transfers across state lines (owner and buyer live in different states) MUST go thru an FFL in the state of the new owner. Said MA FFL must comply with MGLs, so if the gun isn't compliant with the AG Regs and on the EOPS Roster, MGL prohibits the MA Dealer from making the transfer.

And that part I understand; what confuses me is that the Glock 19 is listed, and yet you can't purchase them new. So if I have a friend with a Gen4 he's trying to sell, I could technically have it transferred to MA without the magazines?

Sorry for the basic questions.

And that part I understand; what confuses me is that the Glock 19 is listed, and yet you can't purchase them new. So if I have a friend with a Gen4 he's trying to sell, I could technically have it transferred to MA without the magazines?

Sorry for the basic questions.

Wrong if it was made after ~10/1998. According to the AG (and now a USDC case as well) it does not meet the AG's Regs (the secret 2nd non-list).

Being on the EOPS Roster is only "part 1" of a 2 part legal requirement.

ETA: Read the following Sticky, it was posted to answer these type of questions.
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

Last edited:
Wrong if it was made after ~10/1998. According to the AG (and now a USDC case as well) it does not meet the AG's Regs (the secret 2nd non-list).

Being on the EOPS Roster is only "part 1" of a 2 part legal requirement.

ETA: Read the following Sticky, it was posted to answer these type of questions.
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

Thanks for the info. That clears it up. I wasn't sure if a transfer would bypass the AG rules at all.

I'll give that other thread thread another look!

I am sure it's on here somewhere but I couldn't find it so I will ask. I have a Remington 700 I want to give to my son. I have a ltc and live in ma. he has moved to North Carolina soon to be Georgia and his Ma ltc is long expired. What do we have to do to be legal. If you don't know please don't add your 2c thanks for any knowledgeable answer.

I am sure it's on here somewhere but I couldn't find it so I will ask. I have a Remington 700 I want to give to my son. I have a ltc and live in ma. he has moved to North Carolina soon to be Georgia and his Ma ltc is long expired. What do we have to do to be legal. If you don't know please don't add your 2c thanks for any knowledgeable answer.

Two methods :
1 - Drive the firearm to a FFL somewhere that you are both legal, and do the transfer at the FFL
2 - Ship the firearm to an FFL, (USPS, UPS, or Fedex for long guns), that he has easy access to and do the transfer at the FFL

Just giving him the firearm is a violation of Federal law.

My grandfather (84) recently told me that he want's to gift me all but one of his firearms. He rattled them off and I counted 10+ Long & Handguns. I'm quite honored and will be keeping them. However, he is a Maine resident and I'm a Rhode Island resident. I have my blue card so accepting Handguns isn't a problem. He will be spending the holidays in Rhode Island and we would like to transfer around that time.

My questions are the following:

1. Is there a legal limit to the amount of firearms that can be properly transported from Maine, through New Hampshire, Massachusetts, then into Rhode Island?
2. I realize this will have to go through an FFL. Does it matter in which state?

Any other legal implications I should be aware of?

My grandfather (84) recently told me that he want's to gift me all but one of his firearms. He rattled them off and I counted 10+ Long & Handguns. I'm quite honored and will be keeping them. However, he is a Maine resident and I'm a Rhode Island resident. I have my blue card so accepting Handguns isn't a problem. He will be spending the holidays in Rhode Island and we would like to transfer around that time.

My questions are the following:

1. Is there a legal limit to the amount of firearms that can be properly transported from Maine, through New Hampshire, Massachusetts, then into Rhode Island?
2. I realize this will have to go through an FFL. Does it matter in which state?

Any other legal implications I should be aware of?

1. No limit on quantities. He just must abide by FOPA wrt driving thru MA.
2. You could do this in ME, NH or RI. Can't do it in MA. But since both of you will end up in RI, it's easiest to just do it there. NEGOTIATE a fee as in you should not be paying 10+ times a single transfer fee. IIRC 3 guns can be listed on a single 4473. No idea about RI process however.

Congrats on the gift and a wise move by your Grandfather.

Back
Top Bottom