• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suicide profiling training for MA chiefs

MPI AWARDED SUICIDE PREVENTION GRANT

The Municipal Police Institute, Inc. (MPI) has been
awarded a multi-year contract form the Massachusetts Department
of Public Health to help reduce the incidence of suicide
among public safety personnel and members of the public,
and to providing support services to survivors. The following
areas will be addressed:
1. Suicide assessment and intervention training,
2. Survivor groups and support services, and
3. Means reduction policies and training.

Police officers encounter potential suicide victims every
day. Officers need to be trained to identify those requiring
special attention. They need to learn appropriate intervention
techniques and referral options. Police officers are involved
in most attempted or completed suicides. Since more officers
die from suicide than work-related shootings, every officer
needs to learn what to do if he/she or a fellow officer is exhibiting
signs of depression or other suicidal tendencies.

Lastly, Chiefs are the licensing authority for firearms in this state.
They need similar training to help identify potential problems
and learn how to refuse, restrict or revoke licenses, as well as
to enforce trigger-lock laws.

MPI will develop an assessment instrument for the
police officer in the street and/or in cell room. We will offer
to work with the Massachusetts Municipal Police Training
Committee to develop curriculum and lesson plans for Suicide
Prevention Training for all police officers. We will train
chiefs on how to properly assess and respond to potential
suicidal persons during or following licensing for firearms.

From MCOPA News, June, 2008

http://www.masschiefs.org/documents/June 2008 Newsletter.pdf

I don't have problems with the first part of the intent of the training, as far too many LEOs commit suicide. Supervisors need to be able to look for indicators that suggest that an individual might be a potential suicide victim and if this training helps, then it is a good thing.

I have a major problem with the second part. Unless a Chief holds professional licensure as a psychologist or psychiartrist, this is merely another item to be added to a CLEO's arsenal of suitability criteria. All of us can manifest some traits that suggest aberrant behavior, but it takes a whole laundry list of these behaviors and some interviews by a trained professional before a determination can be made. Certainly police officers on the street frequently have rudimentary training in identifying overtly suicidcal behaviors, but this is something different entirely. A CLEO simply does not spend enough time with a licensee, to determine the state of a person's mental health unlike a front line supervisor or a chief in a smaller department who knows and works with a subordinate LEO on a daily basis and for a long period of time.

Totalitarian regimes have used mental health issues as a control mechanism, notably the former Soviet Union. Many dissidents wound up in "mental hosptials" rather than the gulag, it looks better to the outside world, don't you know?

Without trying to sound like an alarmist, this training is indeed distressing news, and is cause for concern.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Just cover to add another "requirement" for getting your license. They'll make you visit a shrink.

Just cover to add another "requirement" for getting your license. They'll make you visit a shrink.

Exactly.

We already have chiefs abusing their power - in the guise of "public safety, of course - demanding doctor's letters. Ordering applicants to get a shrink's permission as part of the application process is a readily foreseeable next set in the escalation of abuse.

"We will train chiefs on how to properly assess and respond to potential suicidal persons during or following licensing for firearms."

What the heck does that mean? How many police chiefs are psychology PhD's? Not many...and sending applicants to see one is going to do what? Get a letter saying they are not a suicide risk? I don't think so!

"We will train chiefs on how to properly assess and respond to potential suicidal persons during or following licensing for firearms."

Let me postulate the translation many chiefs will apply:

I learned a new way to fabricate a finding of "unsuitable."

Sid: Chief, I need to renew my LTC

Chief: Hmmmmm, so tell me Sidney....how are you feeling today?

Sid: I dunno, chief. OK I guess.

Chief: Lie down on my couch. Have some kleenex. How's work?

Sid: Well I got laid off 'cause of the bad economy.

Chief: You must be feeling depressed. How are you making ends meet?

Sid: I've been selling some of my stuff on ebay.

Chief: Hows you're wife dealing with all this?

Sid: Chief...I don't know why you are...

Chief: Sid, please...as a friend....

Sid: Well her sister Bertha is sick, and she's in Phoenix taking care...

Chief: DENIED!!!! Loss of job, giving away stuff, family illness, familial separation. You're going to kill yourself. DENIED! DENIED! DENIED. [party][party2][banana]

I agree with Mark. This is just another control measure. Be prepared to find out that you are suicidal [angry]

Well, it's obvious. You own a gun.

You intend to kill yourself or someone else, if not both. Sounds like an imminent threat to me. [rolleyes]

Exactly.

We already have chiefs abusing their power - in the guise of "public safety, of course - demanding doctor's letters. Ordering applicants to get a shrink's permission as part of the application process is a readily foreseeable next set in the escalation of abuse.

You'll NEVER get a shrink or a doctor to sign off on that note: Talk about increasing your malpractice insurance tenfold. Also, this would signal one of the largest doctor-patient privilege erosion that I can possibly think of.

What do they want next, all of your medical records for review to see what medication you have been taking?

You'll NEVER get a shrink or a doctor to sign off on that note: Talk about increasing your malpractice insurance tenfold. Also, this would signal one of the largest doctor-patient privilege erosion that I can possibly think of.

They do it all the time for various things as it stands- doesn't make it right,
though.

Most docs (at least the halfway good ones) don't have a problem with
helping their patient- but they do hate/loathe jackoff chiefs and the like that
are asking for information that they really have no business having ANY
access to.

-Mike

What do they want next, all of your medical records for review to see what medication you have been taking?
Of course.
Was on anti-anxiety or antidepressant meds for a short while?
Suicidal!
Taking sleep meds from time to time?
Suicidal!
Using prescription pain medications?
Suicidal?
Practicing yoga?
Absolutely suicidal and must be locked up!!!

Lastly, Chiefs are the licensing authority for firearms in this state.
They need similar training to help identify potential problems
and learn how to refuse, restrict or revoke licenses, as well as
to enforce trigger-lock laws.

I knew a guy whose license was restricted to non-suicide use only.

Not really. How absurd. [grin]

A Modest Proposal:

All applicants for a chief's position should be required to submit their psychological exams as part of their application packet. After all, given the extreme stress of the position, the ready access to weapons and the documented proclivity of those in law enforcement to turn their own weapons on themselves, it is not merely a reasonable, but necessary, precaution.

After all, if it saves just one life - isn't it worth it?

A Modest Proposal:

All applicants for a chief's position should be required to submit their psychological exams as part of their application packet. After all, given the extreme stress of the position, the ready access to weapons and the documented proclivity of those in law enforcement to turn their own weapons on themselves, it is not merely a reasonable, but necessary, precaution.

After all, if it saves just one life - isn't it worth it?

How hard is it to get a bill filed?

As a mental health professional....This is just silly. We are by far an away a liberal group of people, how many doctors and therapists would let their political feelings get in the way?...And the idea of drafting letters to prove someone isn't suicidal is...ridiculous. I would never draft such a letter, on the meeting of a stranger for a 1 hour session. Liability is too high! and PD chiefs, while I am sure are worldly and experienced, are by no means trained to assess suicide risk.

Hopefully heller challenges will strike this down.

All applicants for a chief's position should be required to submit their psychological exams as part of their application packet.

This is already in place in many departments and what has it proven....[wink]

Back
Top Bottom