• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suicide At "Gun For Hire" Range In NJ

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Elmwood Park man fatally shoots self at 'Gun for Hire' range in Woodland Park

An Elmwood Park man died after shooting himself in front of his brother at the Gun for Hire firing range on McBride Avenue.

Mayor Keith Kazmark confirmed Tuesday night that the victim, described by police as in his mid-20s, had died from a single gunshot wound after being taken by ambulance to St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in Paterson. The man’s name was being withheld and would likely be released on Wednesday, Kazmark said.

Woodland Park Police Capt. Eileen Tiernan said the shooting was still under investigation, but said the victim never announced his intention to kill himself. Tiernan said the two brothers arrived for shooting practice, although it is not known whether the victim rented a gun at the shooting range or brought his own, she said.

Tiernan described the man as in his mid-20s, and was at a loss to explain why he would choose to take his life.

The tragedy is the second suicide to occur at Gun for Hire in the past six weeks. On May 28, a 30-year-old Garfield man put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/elm...-self-at-woodland-park-firing-range-1.1629056

What a tragedy.

Sounds like the victim going with his brother to shoot was just a ruse to commit suicide.

It seems as if the shop followed all proper procedures in letting the brothers shoot at the their range.

People without a license who come in alone are not allowed to shoot for fear they may commit suicide.

What is needed to prevent this?

Does the range officer have to ask if the customer is suicidal or wants to hurt others?

I do not see a way for a range to prevent this.

If someone has a strong desire to commit suicide, they will eventually succeed, unless we want to confine them for life.

Does the range officer have to ask if the customer is suicidal or wants to hurt others?

I do not see a way for a range to prevent this.[/QUOTE]

The antis will have an answer for you shortly.

When you rent a car, you need to present a Credit Card, sign some forms, and they check your available credit - don't they ? (it's been a while).

Do the same for Gun Ranges. Charge a few grand for the cleanup.

Just to mention, there are people, most likely, that do commit suicide with cars. Sometimes rentals, I'll bet.

Suicide with a gun or car can be a really bad idea. Many have tried and survived with injuries that gave them a quality of life much worse than before.

The only practical way to prevent suicides by gun or car is to legalize the services Doctor Kevorkian used to provide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kevorkian

Last edited:
I can't remember which range in the north shore area but I remember getting a call when a buddy of mine went up to rent some pistols and do some shooting one weeknight. He didnt have his ltc at the time but wanted to try some pistols while he waited for paperwork. The range called me asking if I knew him and if he was depressed or had possible intentions of suicide before they would rent to him.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I can't remember which range in the north shore area but I remember getting a call when a buddy of mine went up to rent some pistols and do some shooting one weeknight. He didnt have his ltc at the time but wanted to try some pistols while he waited for paperwork. The range called me asking if I knew him and if he was depressed or had possible intentions of suicide before they would rent to him.

Maybe original Bob's? They've had several suicides there.

Granite state does that as well now.

What a tragedy.

Sounds like the victim going with his brother to shoot was just a ruse to commit suicide.

It seems as if the shop followed all proper procedures in letting the brothers shoot at the their range.

People without a license who come in alone are not allowed to shoot for fear they may commit suicide.

I do not see a way for a range to prevent this.

There is no real way aside from mind reading

If you feel like it's time to check out , that's your decision. But god damn, why would you want to leave that image in your brothers head , or anyone else's?

When you rent a car, you need to present a Credit Card, sign some forms, and they check your available credit - don't they ? (it's been a while).

Do the same for Gun Ranges. Charge a few grand for the cleanup.

Called how to go out of business - by asking to put a multi thousand dollar hold on a credit card to use a gun range.

-Mike

Suicide with a gun or car can be a really bad idea. Many have tried and survived with injuries that gave them a quality of life much worse than before.
Only if done improperly in the case of the gun. People don't realize that there is nothing critical to life (only critical to making life worth living) in line with a temple shot to the side of the head.

That being said, anyone who respects gun rights would choose another method if suicide became necessary (I'm thinking of things like Stage IV metastatic cancer, not depression, as the former is hopeless and the later only seems hopeless)

Called how to go out of business - by asking to put a multi thousand dollar hold on a credit card to use a gun range.
Holds take a couple of days to "go away". They are mostly unnoticed by people who have credit lines vastly in excess of their spending, but can cause problems with debit cards where you are working against a checking account balance. Many hotels have warnings about this at the checkin desk. Manually releasing a hold for a customer is a royal pain (been there, done that).

-Mike

Good Point.

Though you'd only charge shooters that don't bring at least one of their own guns. I mean, if you own a gun would you bother going to a Range ?

And what does a good clean up cost ? $1000 ?

Or, could a Range just refuse to rent to anyone who doesn't bring at least one gun of their own ? I just don't know how much Ranges make from people that don't bring a gun, and just want to rent.

So that may be a good idea, or not.

Just tossin' out thoughts.

Last edited:
Good Point.

Though you'd only charge shooters that don't bring at least one of their own guns. I mean, if you own a gun would you bother going to a Range ?

And what does a good clean up cost ? $1000 ?

Or, could a Range just refuse to rent to anyone who doesn't bring at least one gun of their own ? I just don't know how much Ranges make from people that don't bring a gun, and just want to rent.

So that may be a good idea, or not.

Just tossin' out thoughts.
The gun rentals themselves are a wash, they make a killing on ammo
Granite state does 20/day for a shooter, second is either 10 or 15 I think
Rentals are 10 per caliber
Targets are like 1.25
eyes, ears are relatively cheap as well.

And as far as I can tell, they're doing well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom