• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suicidal man with a knife fatally shot by Seattle police

Reptile

NES Member
SEATTLE — A suicidal man who urged a Seattle police officer to kill him as he approached with a large knife was fatally shot as he ignored commands to stop, video shows.
A Port of Seattle officer alerted the Seattle Police Department late Tuesday that a “suicidal subject” had a knife to his neck near the city’s waterfront, according to audio of the police call released Wednesday.
The armed man then cut himself while walking along Alaskan Way and Seneca Street, the officer told dispatchers.

When additional officers arrived shortly after, bodycam footage then shows Seattle Police Department officers encountering the man as he wielded a knife while walking past Pier 56, New York Post reported.

“There he is, there he is, stop,” one officer says. “Hold on, watch out – he’s got a knife.”

The officer then jumps out of his police cruiser and orders the man to stop walking and put down the weapon, but he ignores the commands – and tells the officer to shoot him.
“Just do it, just do it,” the man says on the harrowing clip. “Do it, do it — please kill me.”

The man was then shot just feet away from the officer as he held the large kitchen knife above his head. The bloodied weapon was later recovered from the scene, where the victim was pronounced dead, police said.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4erwH-tXU&feature=emb_logo

Could a beanbag out of a shotgun taken care of him? Not that they have those tools available or on hand at the scene. A guy with a knife can close a short gap pretty fast.

He went down quickly

With all those clear views and angles from the body cameras how could anyone think every police officer should not be required to have one for every interaction.

Has anyone ever called their bluff? I don't blame the cop for shooting and it would definitely take some brass ones. But are there incidents where the cop just doesn't do anything?

I'm just curious if these types are actually willing to hurt someone.

Cop is in the right even though it sucks for him he was there and had to go through that.

Back
Top Bottom