• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions: Holsters for H&K Mark 23

For that thing... As huge as it is.
I would probably suggest going the complete (and in the case correct) tactical route and suggest the thigh holster..

I would say Cross Breed, but they don't have the Mark 23 listed. You could always give a call and see if he is willing to custom make one for you. Very comfortable and low profile holsters.

I would say Cross Breed, but they don't have the Mark 23 listed. You could always give a call and see if he is willing to custom make one for you. Very comfortable and low profile holsters.
Are you really recommending carrying an HK Mark 23 IWB? Have you ever held a Mark 23? It makes a full-size HK USP 45 look small.

My bad, I just looked. Confused it with the size of the USP 45. Although, it is pretty much the same as my P220, just 1.8 inches longer. I carry my P220 with no issue.

Last edited:
I thought they were the same size as a P220, just a little thicker?

[rofl]

Uhh... an MK23 has like a 5.8" Barrel, for starters. The profile of the gun is almost twice as thick as a P220, as an MK23 is a doublestack. The only semis bigger than an MK23 are the wildcat type deals like the Wildey Magnums, Desert Eagles, etc.

-Mike

[rofl]

Uhh... an MK23 has like a 5.8" Barrel, for starters. The profile of the gun is almost twice as thick as a P220, as an MK23 is a doublestack. The only semis bigger than an MK23 are the wildcat type deals like the Wildey Magnums, Desert Eagles, etc.

-Mike

Just looked it up Mike, the width is .04 wider, the height is just a bit more, the weight is about the same....it's just the length due to the barrel (remember part of that is the threading). Now I'm talking full P220, not the carry.

Just looked it up Mike, the width is .04 wider, the height is just a bit more, the weight is about the same....it's just the length due to the barrel (remember part of that is the threading). Now I'm talking full P220, not the carry.

Having owned both and (still own) a rail-less, alloy framed, folded slide P220 the dimensions are not even in the class dimensionally. You can look at the numbers all you want, but until you've held both side by side, you won't get it.
The MK23 is -huge-.

ETA: A lot of people can't even grip an MK23 properly and fire the gun in double action. The same cannot be said for the P220. That should tell you a lot about the size difference there by itself. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Having owned both and (still own) an alloy P220 the dimensions are not even in the class dimensionally. You can look at the numbers all you want, but until you've held both side by side, you won't get it. The MK23 is -huge-.

-Mike

That I cannot claim, I have not held the MK23. I was just going by the numbers. Is it possible the new one is smaller though?

That being said, if OWB is your only option, Cross Breed does make custom ones for those too. I just like their stuff so much better because I went through about 20 different holsters before finding theirs and wished someone pointed me to those first.

That I cannot claim, I have not held the MK23. I was just going by the numbers. Is it possible the new one is smaller though?

That being said, if OWB is your only option, Cross Breed does make custom ones for those too. I just like their stuff so much better because I went through about 20 different holsters before finding theirs and wished someone pointed me to those first.

There is no "new one". It is the size of a desert eagle. It is large.

There is no "new" MK23. It's always been mostly the same gun. The only thing they changed was they dropped the glossy HE Maritime finish, and the HK logo I think is laser
etched. (ETA: there are some rarely seen variants of it, like the ones with non-SAAMI barrels and the like, but they're all dimensionally the same. )

Yes, I'm probably exaggerating the dimensions a bit. To put it in better terms, it's an entire order of magnitude larger than a 5" 1911, and heavier.

Not sure where you're getting your weights from, either... a P220 alloy is easily under 30 oz unloaded. the MK23 is well over 40 unloaded.

-Mike

Last edited:
There is no "new one". It is the size of a desert eagle. It is large.

Okay, I guess I won't appreciate the difference until I've held the two. Just curious, what would you use something that big for? Mainly competition? Military? I just can't imagine carrying something much bigger or heavier than my P220.

Okay, I guess I won't appreciate the difference until I've held the two. Just curious, what would you use something that big for? Mainly competition? Military? I just can't imagine carrying something much bigger or heavier than my P220.

You buy a MK23 because you want it. [grin] That's the only reason. It's not practical for much of anything else other than as a range toy- although it is a really NICE range toy.

-Mike

You buy a MK23 because you want it. [grin] That's the only reason. It's not practical for much of anything else other than as a range toy- although it is a really NICE range toy.

-Mike

And an accurate one at that. But yeah, it was created as a soc.mil contract to get a "offensive handgun weapons system" for killing sentries and the like. SAF google it.

-Mike

yup, thanks to terraformer [smile] -i got to shoot one.... but the pistol is rather large. very concealable with a drop leg and trench coat to avoid printing....

[laugh]

I have both MK23 and P220 as well as Desert Eagle and USP Tactical. P220 and USP tactical looks like a toys compare to MK23. only Desert Eagle up to par to MK23.
I having a hard time to find holster for MK23. I know magnum research sells holsters for Desert Eagle so i'll try that if it not going to work I'll keep it anyway for my Desert Eagle.
Also i found BlackHawk SOCOM MK-23 but seems like its not available. btw did any one had any experience with BlackHawk generic tactical holsters that according to BlackHawk shoudl work with any gun

Gotcha....so that would be like what you see the troops carrying in a thigh holster I imagine It does look like a really fun gun to shoot though! Drinks are on me if someone is in the area and wants to head to the range to let me shoot theirs. :eek:)

And an accurate one at that. But yeah, it was created as a soc.mil contract to get a "offensive handgun weapons system" for killing sentries and the like. SAF google it.

One of the things I miss about the MK23 was it was dead simple to clean the barrel on that gun. They chrome lined it or something like that... rifling was always bright and shiny with minimal effort.

-Mike

The Mark 23 is gigantic. But it is infinitely awesome.

Surprisingly, I was able to shoot it fine with my smaller hands quite comfortably. The grip texturing is wicked, though.

What do you suppose he carries his in?

Delta1b.JPG

It's theoretically the official pistol of SOCOM, so all units that report to Special Operations Command I guess CAN use it if they want to. I know the SEALs use Sig P226 9mms, Marine Recon uses Kimber 1911s. Green Berets can get away with whatever sidearm they want. I heard the USP Tactical had largely replaced the Mk 23 in most situations as it uses the same accessories, but is sized for mere mortals, rather than the Teutonic Ubermenschen of H und K.

Back
Top Bottom