• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions for Single Stack 1911 Mags for USPSA?

admcd

NES Member
I'm hoping to shoot single stack in USPSA next year and am looking for suggestions as to brands for magazines. I have a couple inexpensive 8 rounders (Chip McCormick, I think), but I notice they pinch the hell out of my palm when I drive them into the mag well. Anyone have suggestions? Or should I just stop being a baby and grow some calluses?

I'm hoping to shoot single stack in USPSA next year and am looking for suggestions as to brands for magazines. I have a couple inexpensive 8 rounders (Chip McCormick, I think), but I notice they pinch the hell out of my palm when I drive them into the mag well. Anyone have suggestions? Or should I just stop being a baby and grow some calluses?

What sort of pad is on the mag, and mag well?

If your hand is getting pinched putting a mag in, you're doing it wrong...

I've ordered Wilson Combat and Chip McCormmick for use with my DE 1911C not that long ago... Both work in the gun well.

If you have a flared magwell, then you'll want to get magazines with a base plate that will properly seat with it.

I used Dawson Precision base pads on my Chip McCormick magazines (Shooting Star and Power Mags) and a Smith and Alexander one piece mag well/mainspring housing. With the pads and a magwell, you shouldn't pinch yourself.

I'm planning on shooting a dead-stock S&W 1911 except for fiber optic sights.

I wasn't planning on putting a magwell on there as I carry the gun on occasion. Unless there's an "easy on, easy off" option.

sw1911_l.jpg

OK, so you should just be using the flat part of your palm to slam the mag home. My paws are pretty meaty too, but I've never been pinched with a stock 1911 and a flush mag. I'd still recommend a base or a mag with one such as these.

http://www.chipmccormickmags.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=14131

I use these on the mags I had with just flush metal bases. Need to drill and tap but that is pretty easy.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/579073/ed-brown-magazine-base-pad-1911-polymer-black-package-of-6

Try the Chip McCormick 10 rounder if those are allowed. They sick out from the butt a bit

The gun with magazine will have to fit in the box (8 15/16" x 6"). I haven't tried, but I do not think a 10 rounder will fit. Of course, even if it does, .45 and .40 (if scoring major) are restricted to 8 rounds per mag regardless of the magazine's capacity.

I'm planning on shooting a dead-stock S&W 1911 except for fiber optic sights.

I wasn't planning on putting a magwell on there as I carry the gun on occasion. Unless there's an "easy on, easy off" option.

View attachment 204145

Since you don't have a magwell on it, Wilson 47D mags will have a short base on it to keep you from getting pinched. These mags are hard to beat for .45 ACP.

an easy on/off option for a magwell would e a techwell... take the grip pannels off and you can swap the magwell on and off.

This is true, but you will probably booger up the grip screw bushing after many on/offs.

The Dawson precision Ice magwell is what I use and strongly recommend. It will come with a new mainspring housing that is drilled and tapped to accept a single socket head allen screw that will hold on the largest allowable flared magwell. One installed, to remove the flared part, just snap out the plastic insert, and remove one screw.

I use and recommend both the Tripp research cobra mags, and the Wilson ETM, both with Dawson aluminum basepads. My set of Tripp mags (6) have about 40,000 rounds through them, I did change out the springs once...

Back
Top Bottom