• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions For Newbe

Yeah recoil and accuracy are issues for me, partly due to cross dominance and wanting to shoot it lefty, which I don't trust I can do safely, so I throw it up on my right shoulder and I just aim it a safe direction I can't hit targets and what not, not even close.

Dwarven told me about some thing called a Compstock they sound like a pretty good idea for recoil reduction

FWIW, I'm cross dominant and I have no problem using my Rem 870 as a
right hander. All you have to do is put the bead on the target and pull
the trigger. It's not as finite of a thing as a typical rifle or pistol
in that regard. I can blowup laundry jugs at typical SD
distances no problem by doing this. (Say, 25 yards and in, no
problem. )

IMO one way to acclimate yourself to shotguns is to buy a crate
of like #8 birdshot, and figure out how to mount that stock in your
shoulder pocket correctly. The birdshot will kick less and is a lot cheaper
to practice with.

While the CompStock is great, it still will work a lot better if you learn
how to fire a shotgun properly. Improper "mounting" of the stock on
ones shoulder will result in unecessary pain/discomfort for the shooter.

-Mike

Wow, thanks all for the many suggestions (and not one RTFFAQN!). Not sure where to start in reply.

For the .22 it looks like there is 10/22 in my near-term future.

For the revolver it looks like there are several options. I guess it depends upon what is available. As far as where to keep it, I was planning on keeping it in a small, quick-access gun safe near, probably under, the bed.

For the shotgun, that was an interesting suggestion Jose to go with an AR. I'll have to look into that some more. I had found the Box O' Truth site about a year ago, but I need to go back and reread their reports with my specific needs in mind. Several of the links referred to various tests and reports that supposedly corroborate the assertion that .223/5.56 is better for home defense but none of them had the actual test results or reports. Is there a specific reference that points to actual test results? I tend to want to see the actual data when an assertions goes against conventional wisdom.

Shane, do you remember what size shells you were shooting in the 12 GA? I seem to recall reading that slugs have the most recoil for shotguns. My plan was to go with a reduced/tactical load for both recoil management and over-penetration concerns. If either of those is still an issue then I might go with an autoloader (for more $$) or straight to an AR.

Again, thanks all for the welcome and suggestions.
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom