• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions for Locking Ammo Case?

Traveling into MA for the Pumpkin shoot this weekend I'll have to lock up my ammo somehow (no trunk). Any suggestions on a cheap and easy lockable case for ammo? I can always use a tool box if I can't get anything better.

I don't think there is a requirement in MGL to lock up ammo while it's in
transport, even for those individuals covered only by an exemption.

-Mike

Traveling into MA for the Pumpkin shoot this weekend I'll have to lock up my ammo somehow (no trunk). Any suggestions on a cheap and easy lockable case for ammo? I can always use a tool box if I can't get anything better.

I am unaware of any law requiring you to lock up your ammunition.

Transportation of firearms in a vehicle is covered under MGL C140 S131c, and makes no mention of ammunition.

The locked storage of ammo is from the fire regulations in CMR 527 S13.
13.04 (e) is the requirement for locking exempt quantities of ammunition if stored in a building or structure - not a vehicle.

13.06 is the transportation section, and in (b) states that 13.06 doesn't apply to small arms ammunition or components.

In my not a lawyer opinion, this means you don't have to lock up ammo in your car. However, if in the interests of avoiding ever being declared an unsuitable person on your next renewal (not that this applies to the OP) because you got pulled over for speeding with a pile of ammunition loose in the back seat, you decide you would like to lock it up, than I would say that a toolbox would do nicely!

Depends on your level of risk tolerance, I suppose.

I don't lock up my ammo when in transport, but then again I use my trunk. I second the use of toolboxes, that is what I use to lock up my ammo at home. Just keep in mind how heavy ammo is when you fill a good size toolbox, you might not be able to safely lift it after filling it. [wink]

Hell, a $5 large plastic tote from Lowes or Home Depot with a padlocked hole in the lid should be good enough if there even is a law requiring locking it up.

Back
Top Bottom