Suggestions for Ar weapon light?

Spread and throw for the application is an important question. Maybe one is more important than the other for your common use, at which point the otherwise massive selection and price points gets whittled down.

Streamlight tlr rm2. Absolutely no experience with it because not enough candela for me and visible lasers are stupid unless you have some kind of physical condition which makes shouldering a rifle difficult.

What are thoughts on something like an Elzetta or a Malkoff light with a focused beam and a tape switch as a rifle light? They’re bright, built to take recoil, and you can get a rail mount for short money. All in should be about OP’s budget. I actually have a malkoff that I keep on the counter (not on a gun), and it seemed like a cheaper option than some of the surefire or cloud stuff.

Streamlight tlr rm2. Absolutely no experience with it because not enough candela for me and visible lasers are stupid unless you have some kind of physical condition which makes shouldering a rifle difficult.
I have a 4x scope and planned on having the laser for close range

I planned on it being a general purpose light preferably not over $200
I guess what I’m asking is it a light and laser combo you want to bet your life on or is it a range toy? Many lights on their own that are considered fit for duty and reliable to that level are going to be north of $200.00.

I run the fl-14's and the fl-17's on my ARs. I bought one to try out a few years ago and ended up with 15 of them.

They come with 2 18-650 rechargeable batteries, mounting bracket, charger, tail cap mounted push button on/off switch and momentary/on off switch pad.
I use a few of them just as general purpose flashlights around the house, they're small enough to drop into a pocket and are blindingly bright.
No blinking light, just on or off, or momentary when using the pad switch.
Machined aluminum construction, O ring sealed and aggressive bezel that would put a good gouge in someone's face if hit with the front of it.

For the price, these are hands down the best lights I've bought in many years.

Sf300 == tier one.

I happen to have grabbed a bunch of nitecores, and will probably go with them as I can afford that tier. Which is not tier one.

That said, I have a few 10+ yo nitecores and all of them still function at full pull.

I have a streamlight polytac on a cheap monstrum mount. Works fine. I like a push button tailcap, a light ND at the wrong time could be very very bad.

Olight has reasonably priced light/laser combos in the $200 range but no pressure switch.

If you want a pressure switch and a laser, you're probably going to need to consider Surefire and substantially raising your price point.

Does surefire still keep up with the Gucci-er lights from cloud and Modlite?
All companies have their pros and cons, but Surefire is the gold standard tried and trued.

Cloud Defensive-
Pros: great output, great pattern, good hotspot, mounting options.
Cons: specific tail cap and switch.

Modlite-
Pros: great output, great pattern, good hotspot, mounting options, used Surefire tail caps and switches
Cons: retards running the company who cry if they get criticism, battery springs on the light heads are weak and break frequently (I’ve gone through 3 and keep a few spares), batteries Modlite sells don’t always work (I’ve had a few brand new batteries not work or take a charge).

Surefire-
Pros: gold standard everyone competes and compares to. May not be the absolute brightest but are solid contenders. Tailcaps, switches, different heads (VAMPIRES), mounts, made for rifles and handguns, batteries are good.
Cons: not the brightest in comparison with the most throw.

Personally, I’m offloading my modlites because I don’t trust them. I’ve had too many screws break off the head and it’s such a common problem Modlite sells them as a replacement part that is user serviceable.
They drain batteries faster than my other lights (I haven’t actually timed the runtime or anything, just that I always seem to replace the battery more frequently).
I’ve had a few brand new batteries not work out of the box and if you ask questions about other usable brand batteries on their Facebook page they will delete your post.
Too many issues for me to keep using them but I’ll say when they do work they are great lights.

I’ll also add that most companies offer light with different heads or there are aftermarket parts available.
Don’t hesitate to buy on the secondary market and save some money. Most people buy Gucci gear and it’s sits on a rifle in their safe and only comes out for instragram photos.

Cloud Defensive-
Pros: great output, great pattern, good hotspot, mounting options.
Cons: specific tail cap and switch.
Cloud has a legacy body for surefire tail caps now. I only like Cloud for the very light press for momentary off. If I’m using a light, I prefer it constant on then momentary off when moving.

Personally, I’m offloading my modlites because I don’t trust them. I’ve had too many screws break off the head and it’s such a common problem Modlite sells them as a replacement part that is user serviceable.
They drain batteries faster than my other lights (I haven’t actually timed the runtime or anything, just that I always seem to replace the battery more frequently).
I’ve had a few brand new batteries not work out of the box and if you ask questions about other usable brand batteries on their Facebook page they will delete your post.
Too many issues for me to keep using them but I’ll say when they do work they are great lights.

Great post as I was all but set on Modlite. What are you switching too as you sell off the Modlites?

Cloud has a legacy body for surefire tail caps now. I only like Cloud for the very light press for momentary off. If I’m using a light, I prefer it constant on then momentary off when moving.
Nice, I wasn’t aware they were out. Maybe I’ll get one and try it out.

Another option if you're looking to try something different, check out Goonbeam
Made in Florida
I have their smaller EDC and it's got 800 lumen and 45000 candela. It's pretty intense for its size.
He also has both pistol and rifle WML''s which I don't own but I've heard good reviews.
I know of a 10% or $10- off (I can't remember) coupon code: DARK if anyone is interested.

Another option if you're looking to try something different, check out Goonbeam
Made in Florida
I have their smaller EDC and it's got 800 lumen and 45000 candela. It's pretty intense for its size.
He also has both pistol and rifle WML''s which I don't own but I've heard good reviews.
I know of a 10% or $10- off (I can't remember) coupon code: DARK if anyone is interested.
Does this light fit scout mounts and sure fire tail caps/switches?

Just got my Arisaka/mod lite dual fuel in.

Fit and finish is nice. I decided against the malkoff head but might pick one up with a 300 series light (smaller body single cell) the fit and finish is top notch. A05A1C71-92D6-499C-9F85-64AE88940E86.jpeg

Does this light fit scout mounts and sure fire tail caps/switches?

From his website: "Compatibility with existing scout mount solutions. (with the included m4-.7 x 6mm screws) NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE SCREWS ARISKA INCLUDES"

I don't see any mention about the Surefire compatibility. Good question, I'll ask him later today or tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom