Suggestions for AR barrel

DemonChronicles

NES Member
As the thread title states, I am looking at upgrading my barrel setup on my custom AR.

I am ditching the 16" Spikes barrel I currently have (will keep as spare) and I am interested in:

1.) Stainless Steel
2.) Match grade
2.) 18"
3.) Fluted

I've looked at the following (in order of interest):
1.) Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, 5.56 NATO, Recon Tactical, 18", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted
2.) Spike's Tactical Lothar Walther 18" Fluted Stainless Steel Barrel
3.) AR Stoner

What's everyone using out there for this configuration? Tips? Suggestions?

TIA

People are going to want to know what the primary purpose of this rifle is going to be.
I have no adive for you though, because i'm a newb.

As the thread title states, I am looking at upgrading my barrel setup on my custom AR. I am ditching the 16" Spikes barrel I currently have (will keep as spare) and I am interested in: 1.) Stainless Steel 2.) Match grade 2.) 18" 3.) Fluted I've looked at the following (in order of interest): 1.) Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, 5.56 NATO, Recon Tactical, 18", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted 2.) Spike's Tactical Lothar Walther 18" Fluted Stainless Steel Barrel 3.) AR Stoner What's everyone using out there for this configuration? Tips? Suggestions? TIA

White Oak will build you that exact barrel if you ask them to.

I just recently built one using a AR Stoner 18" SS fluted barrel. AR-Stoner Barrel AR-15 223 Remington (Wylde) Medium Contour 1 8 Twist
I bought it based off of the reviews, it got 4.5 out of 5 with 26 reviews. The average was brought down by 2 reviewers who supposedly had HS issues. I don't know about you, but when I see products with predominantly 5 star reviews but 1 or 2 people give a terrible review, I tend to discount their reviews.

Now onto my experience. Right out of the box, I was impressed, fit and finish were top notch, everything about it is beautiful. As to function, I tried 3 different BCGs in it, all 3 headspaced perfectly. Manually cycling it, it feeds, extracts and ejects flawlessly. The only place I can't help you is on accuracy as I have not had a chance to get it to the range yet.

The way you did the link there kind of says to me you might already know what you want, and you just want someone to back you up.

(Go for it!)

I have used expensive SS bull barrels and relatively cheap ($150) chrome moly barrels in my ARs. The results have been pretty much the same. All of the barrels I have used group about 2.25 in for five shots at 300 yds. This is with 69 gr Sierra HPBT bullets; 55 gr loads were much less accurate. Also, all of the barrels were 1/9 twist.

The only real difference I encountered was with DPMS barrels. My experience with one 22 rim fire barrel and two 223 center fire barrels was a minor disaster. All of these barrels had rough chambers that made them totally unreliable.

The rimfire barrel (part of a 22 LR AR conversion) would actually cause the gun to fire out of battery. This resulted in some powder gas in my face and a bolt that self destructed. All of the bolt's small parts (extractors and springs) were blown out of the gun. Luckily, I was indoors at MRA. I had to sweep up the firing line and take the residue home so I could reclaim the missing parts with a magnet.

The center fire AR barrels were a different problem. Once the barrel heated up (30 to 40 rounds) the empties would fail to extract, often the extractor would rip a piece of the rim off, leaving the damaged case in the chamber.

All of the above problems were cured by polishing the chamber, a simple but time consuming process. After this experience with DPMS barrels I have been avoiding them like the plague and suggest that everyone else do the same.

I have a 14.5" Daniel Defense Gov. Contour CL barrel that shoots just a little over MOA ... They make an 18" mid length gas S2W profile barrel that I'm planning on using for my next upper.

1/7 twist rate.

i dunno if maybe the previous posters loads are too hot, or his bullets to heavy for his 1/9 twist. I load 69gr SMK's to about a grain below the max charge listed with BLC2. Maybe I'm just lucky, but based on all the reviews and info I read I went with Daniel Defense.

I don't have the exact same, but I do have the Wilson Super Sniper 20". Very similar to the one you linked to. It has performed great, very accurate and very nice quality.

That being said, like Gammon mentioned I have found that most of my barrels shoot about the same accuracy. I think my best is my FN 16" M4 chrome lined. Its hard to compare because I only have a 3X scope on that gun now, and a 12x on the Wilson, but that FN shoots super tight groups when I am trying. I also have a lightweight 20" and it shoots great too.

But that Wilson Super Sniper does look the part on my target AR.

Back
Top Bottom