• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestion on .357/.38 lever action

Good luck. I've been looking for an 1894 C for a while now. Can't seem to find one for less than around $900. I'm tempted by Rossi due to the price, but Rossi = Taurus, and a Taurus will never come anywhere near my safe! I hear good things about the Henrys, but that brass is gaudy as hell in my opinion. Plus they don't use a King's loading gate. I don't know, the thought of loading a .357 like a .22 bugs me. So, one of you guys here is going to have to sell me one of your Marlins!

Rossi wasn't always owned by Taurus. I met a guy out in Colo Springs in the early 90's who had one and he said it was a better lever gun than his Winchester. Also a major I worked for at Ft Carson had one as his home defense gun, said it was great. If you can find an older pre-Taurus one used, you might be in good shape. Winchester marketed the Model 94 in .357 for a while as I recall. I have one in 45 Colt. Winchester brought back the 1873 in .38/357 but it is very pricy.

Rossi wasn't always owned by Taurus. I met a guy out in Colo Springs in the early 90's who had one and he said it was a better lever gun than his Winchester. Also a major I worked for at Ft Carson had one as his home defense gun, said it was great. If you can find an older pre-Taurus one used, you might be in good shape.

That's quite a different experience than I had with an early model Rossi 92 Puma .357

Read my comments in these other threads:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...s-On-Quality-Of-Current-Production-Rossi-92-s

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ive-round-of-38-special-when-I-work-the-lever

Definitely Marlin! I had an 1894C that was flawless with anything I fed it. It had an adjustable peep sight and was an awesome little gun. I sold it during a momentary lapse of reason and have regretted it since.

Save up a little longer and keep looking. You'll more than likely be able to at least break even if not make a little money on it down the line.

-Sean

If anyone out there has a Marlin .357 I'd love to buy it or trade for it. I have a really nice Marlin Camp 9 with the original box and papers I could trade if that helps. Great little semi-auto carbine, and getting harder to find in nice shape.
[email protected] if interested.
Thanks!

Well, I got fed up waiting to find a Marlin and ended up getting a Henry. Man, has that company changed! I bought one of their early pump action .22’s about twenty years ago, and while it shoots okay the fit and finish leave a lot to be desired. Not so with their newer guns. My new Henry .357 is a work of art. The thing looks too good to shoot! Heck, I don't even want to touch it with my bare hands!
And the action is slick as all hell. Must have something to do with their brass alloy. Add to that the fact that there aren't any external safeties like those hideous cross bolts you see on some other guns and you have one fine carbine.
The wood to metal fit is excellent, the octagonal barrel, the sights, the bluing.....I can't seem to find anything not to like.
I haven't loaded it yet, and I probably won't for a while. I'm still holding out for a Marlin or Winchester that I can drag through woods without worrying about it. So, for now at least, the Henry is going back into its protective sock, and brown paper and box in the hopes that I can find a trade. Although, I'm not sure how long I can hold out. I'm already picturing it with one of those nice two tone Skinner peep sites on it.
Anybody want to trade while its still virtually untouched?

Last edited:
+1 on the Marlin 1894 in 38/357. Reliable and accurate. Take down and reassemble nice and easy. Most importantly it's fun to shoot.

I bought a used Marlin 1894C from Jack @ Bob's years ago. I think I paid $500.00, it looked like it had hardly been used. It's everyone's favorite lever, although my wife calls it her lever. It fires 38 Special Reloads great, never even tried a 357.

I don't own one but I did shoot through a box of .38spl at the range with some guy's Rossi M92 Stainless.

The only issues I encountered were a tricky loading sequence (I kept getting rounds half stuck) and one light strike/hard primer. Other than that, I was picking bits of clays off the berm at 100yds with the factory sights.

Back
Top Bottom