• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggest for me a versatile shotgun

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
I’m researching shotguns a bit and I’m looking for suggestions on a versatile shotgun. I’m not even sure if one exist that could work for deer, turkey and maybe some skeet or trap. I’m not in a position to buy one right now so no rush to get one for this season... but your help is appreciated.

I’m researching shotguns a bit and I’m looking for suggestions on a versatile shotgun. I’m not even sure if one exist that could work for deer, turkey and maybe some skeet or trap. I’m not in a position to buy one right now so no rush to get one for this season... but your help is appreciated.
Mossberg 500 field deer combo and yes it will work for deer turkey clays......as well as upland birds small game or waterfoul.

I'd lay off .Remington 870 unless it's an older one......that company has issues right now.

Your answer is in the question. Whatever you want to do, a shotgun will do it - the questions you need to answer are: how much do you want to spend, how many rounds do you want to fire without reloading, and how fast do you want to fire those rounds.

I may not choose a double or single shot for actual combat - but for home defense I wouldn't feel unarmed (Biden did have a half point).

I'd say modified choke in a used pump or semi auto (Browning A5 or Remington or Savage copy) can be had all day for $200 - $400. And in many cases (Remington 870 is best example), you're getting a better quality gun by going used. You can get interchangeable chokes and really make it versatile, but you needn't bother, modified can do it all.

The only reason there are different brands is for us to argue about which one is better, but there is no arguing that the 16ga is the best, though the 12ga is more popular for some stupid reason.

I'd go a used 870 over any Mossberg. While the Mossy gets the US Military contract, I find the action gritty and difficult.

I've always been equally fascinated with Ithaca bottom-ejecting models. But for versatility, the used older 870 will be your pick.

An 870 would be my suggestion for everything but skeet.
Sure you can shoot skeet with a pump but it gets old fast and you’ll be looking to upgrade at some point.

If you really want a do all, you need a semi or a double barrel.
I’d stick with a semi if it were me. Also make sure to get something with interchangeable chokes.

870 and get the barrels you want (rifled for deer, chokes for birds, etc)

Assuming your looking at lowest cost...I'm in this camp too.....I'll add the Mossy 500. Someone mentioned the combo, which is likely your best bet.

Both have reasonably priced and readily available barrels to make your gun into pretty much anything you want. You will also find used barrels easier as well, and cheap.

I will add, that if your looking for an 870, the older ones are better.....I've seen issues with newer ones alot.

If you can find a good used 1100 or 1187 auto, you will find barrels for that too readily.

That said...for pump guns I'll take a model 37 Ithaca over anything, with the exception of maybe a Model 12, but it's not as versatile as barrels on old models need to be refit at high expense. And even if it does fit a post 855,000 model, the barrels are not cheap bought from Ithaca.

I also like the Benelli pump, it's simple and works like a charm, but again, the barrels to make it versatile will set you back some cash. My son has one and we priced a deer barrel for it....you can buy a new GUN with the barrel on it for almost the same price.

Last edited:
Been down this road. Went the cheap route with old 500 and 870 then went full on expensive with doubles. Either end of the spectrum will get you nowhere as you yearn for the nicer stuff but when you have the nice stuff, you tend not to use it as you don’t want to mess it up. Settled with both an 1187 and 1100. 1187 goes everywhere from the field to the range with synthetic stock. 1100 goes to the trap range as it’s more gentlemanly.

Go semi auto!

As others have suggested, I think your first gun should be an 870 and then buy the barrels you need to meet your requirement.

Then, when the hook is set...

For trap - Browning BT99
3 Gun - FN SLP
Duck/Goose - Browning Maxus 3.5
Slam fire fun - Winchester Model 12
Skeet - Browning Citori Skeet
Home security/wall demo - Benelli M3 tactical
Pheasant - Browning O/U lightweight
Teach the kids - Beautiful 410 semi auto

And on, and on, and on lol

Last edited:
Been down this road. Went the cheap route with old 500 and 870 then went full on expensive with doubles. Either end of the spectrum will get you nowhere as you yearn for the nicer stuff but when you have the nice stuff, you tend not to use it as you don’t want to mess it up. Settled with both an 1187 and 1100. 1187 goes everywhere from the field to the range with synthetic stock. 1100 goes to the trap range as it’s more gentlemanly.

Go semi auto!
I am a better rabbit and small game hunter with my mossy 500. I'll take it into anything because I'm not afraid of scratching the furniture.

When I was shotgun buying many years ago I got super deals on my Remington 870 (pump)and again on a Remington 1100 (semi) both have proved worth the $$ I paid for them, and then some. only had one Mossberg for a short time so I can't really compare. I personally didn't like the way it rattled when carried. I also never had any problems with My Ithaca 12 guage either. Got it in an estate sale back in the 80's.
EDIT>>> found a pic of my 870 so I added it

Attachments

• IMG_20160324_185732_490.jpg
    IMG_20160324_185732_490.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Another vote for the 1187.... (It's what I have! :)) It'll shoot 3" magnums as well as light trap loads... I use it for deer, turkey, pheasant...and it'll do home defense!

I agree. But I’m getting older. I don’t want 8 shotties. I want one good one.
My 930jm pro is well broken in and reliable. It was a deal. But a pita to clean.

Consider a Beretta A300 outlander. It is my rainy day shotgun reliable and built as with coated internals and stainless steeland chrome lined barrel. Breaks down to bare parts in seconds, it breaks down quicker and easier than a pump. . Puts back together just as quick. It is less than half the cost of a Benelli.

I used it yesterday in the rain hunting pheasants.

I bought a new Winchester SX4 a few years ago for waterfowl and the gun has been a tank. Zero issues. I was a little skeptical about how light it is compared to my old 1187 (thinking about how it will swing, and how durable it would be) but I shoot it better than the Remy.
The SX4 was just under $1k with shipping and transfer, and it was well worth it.

Consider a Beretta A300 outlander. It is my rainy day shotgun reliable and built as with coated internals and stainless steeland chrome lined barrel. Breaks down to bare parts in seconds, it breaks down quicker and easier than a pump. . Puts back together just as quick. It is less than half the cost of a Benelli.

I used it yesterday in the rain hunting pheasants.
Thanks again everyone.....

So after shooting a few at my club the A300 is the one that fit me the best and is certainly within my price range. It felt really good on my shoulder and I was pretty accurate with it.

Back
Top Bottom