Suggest an pistol instructor for intermediate shooter

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
Can anyone suggest an instructor for me?

I’ve looked through the pinned threads and other threads and didn’t find what I’m looking for.

I’ve been shooting for about 6 years now but still consider myself a novice. I’m looking for 1 on 1 instruction for technique. Not looking for NRA basic course or a defensive course. I’m looking to get more accurate and acquire targets faster.

FYI I’m taking HSA intro to USPSA in March but looking for something that will compliment that class and competing.

Outside of YouTube and tips from other competitors in IDPA and the like, practice is really the best way. Take what you’ve heard and watched with a grain of salt and try to see if you can replicate the methods.

Outside of YouTube and tips from other competitors in IDPA and the like, practice is really the best way. Take what you’ve heard and watched with a grain of salt and try to see if you can replicate the methods.
I’ve been practicing quite a bit and have been dry firing a lot. I just want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong. I’d like a second set of eyes on me.

I’m looking to get more accurate and acquire targets faster.
It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want an instructor who will help you improve your technique so that you can post better scores standing in a stall at a range, or one who will help you with the action oriented sports like USPSA or IDPA?

I hear that one of the big name shooters (I forget who, might be Max Michael) will be holding a class at the Sig academy just prior to the USPSA Area 7 Match in Dunbarton, NH. If you'r looking for improving fast target aquisition, moving into position quickly, etc. that might be what you seek. Be prepared though - unlike the Hopkinton "intro to competition class" you have signed up for, the big name shooters charge more than a "nominal" fee.

I noticed they charge more $$. Thanks

For now I’m just looking for basic critique on grip, sighting etc.... Ultimately I’d be looking for more action training.

It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want an instructor who will help you improve your technique so that you can post better scores standing in a stall at a range, or one who will help you with the action oriented sports like USPSA or IDPA?

I hear that one of the big name shooters (I forget who, might be Max Michael) will be holding a class at the Sig academy just prior to the USPSA Area 7 Match in Dunbarton, NH. If you'r looking for improving fast target aquisition, moving into position quickly, etc. that might be what you seek. Be prepared though - unlike the Hopkinton "intro to competition class" you have signed up for, the big name shooters charge more than a "nominal" fee.

That sounds pretty cool. I’ll have to see if I can find that on the sig academy site.

I’ve been shooting IDPA for 3 years and USPSA for about 2ish years and never got any training from instructors. I’m sure I’ve got a few bad habits that I’m not even aware of lol. Taking a class with Max Michel would be awesome.

I just shot you a message man. Pun Intended... Get it? A shooting joke? :)

Seriously though, for anyone wondering, I've had a ton on my plate over the last year, and really haven't done a lot of teaching. I still will always be available for NES folks that want to get better, but I don't see group classes any time unless someone wants to do a private gig and has a range.

I will be teaching at the NES Summit this year in May if anyone wants to drop by and say hi.

for me, getting someone to watch me shoot was a great help. I was low left all the time. I knew what I was doing wrong. I spent a ton of time dry firing knowing how to correct the problem, but still had the problem. Local gun club ran a class where they had some instructor types help out. By watching me, they noticed my grip wasn't nearly tight enough in the back, which was allowing the gun to move when firing. Dry firing didn't have the actual impact of real firing, so the weak grip issue wasn't showing up. Everything else I was doing in dry firing for target acq and squeeze was good, but having someone watch was the key to helping. Just my 2c

Thanks for the help everyone. I’m good to go. I’m gonna meet up with Stu from Cloverleaf.

2fc579f6193b1465414dc940d30430c0--bacon-waffles-epic-meal-time.jpg

Seriously though, for anyone wondering, I've had a ton on my plate over the last year, and really haven't done a lot of teaching. I still will always be available for NES folks that want to get better, but I don't see group classes any time unless someone wants to do a private gig and has a range.

And how long have I been trying to get you to come out to MF&G??

Thanks for the help everyone. I’m good to go. I’m gonna meet up with Stu from Cloverleaf.

You won't regret it!!

Back
Top Bottom