Suffolk DA calls for tighter firearms laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daceman63

http://boston.metro.us/metro/local/article/Suffolk_DA_calls_for_tighter_firearms_laws/5798.html

by christina wallace / metro boston

> email this to a friend
NOV 21, 2006

BOSTON — With 341 shootings in Boston this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley yesterday called for tighter gun laws, more collaboration between federal and local authorities in cracking down on gun traffickers and the creation of a gun registry tracking the number of guns a person owns.

“Law enforcement agencies like mine are routinely denied information that would allow us to trace weapons used in crimes back to their source to determine whether the gun was stolen or sold or dumped by unscrupulous individuals and dealers,” Conley said during a hearing on gun violence at the State House yesterday. “As it now stands, ATF [U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms] can only share very limited gun trace data information with police and prosecutors.”

In addition, Conley called for the creation of a gun registry that would require gun owners to register all the guns they own in a statewide database that could be accessed by law enforcement.

“Today, everyone who possesses a firearm must have a license to do so, but there’s no requirement that these same people register the weapon. As a result, police and other law enforcement officials are forced to take unnecessary risks when approaching a home, for example on a domestic violence call, or dealing with an individual at a traffic stop because they have no way of knowing whether that individual has one gun, or two, or 20.”

Rep. Gloria Fox, D-Boston, echoed Conley’s concern regarding the flow of guns from neighboring states, and the need for federal and local officials to work together. Fox said she believes a gun trafficking summit bringing legislators and local and federal authorities together is essential to deal with this epidemic.

“Enough is enough. If we’re not stopping the trafficking of guns then shame on us,” said Fox, who also testified before the Joint Committee on Public Safety.

And So It Begins!!!!!!

Now they're blaming legal gun owners for gun crime. Wow, how the tables have turned. I guess this is what Patrick means by "common sense" gun laws.

DA drivel

“Today, everyone who possesses a firearm must have a license to do so, but there’s no requirement that these same people register the weapon. As a result, police and other law enforcement officials are forced to take unnecessary risks when approaching a home, for example on a domestic violence call, or dealing with an individual at a traffic stop because they have no way of knowing whether that individual has one gun, or two, or 20.”

Either our learned Defender of the Common Weal does not even know the law he purports to uphold or has wilfully misstated it for personal gain.

Unless you want to believe that c. 140, s. 129C is NOT law and all those FA-10s the state prints are wholly a voluntary exercise, DA Conley would seem to be a fool and, quite possibly, a liar.

Not that I have an opinion on the subject......... [wink]

As if it would make any difference on a domestic violence call or a traffic stop if the individual owned one or 20 guns. I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I try to fire 20 guns at the same time it just pushes my aim off.

unf***ingbelievable... well, we knew it would be coming... now it's up to GOAL and the NRA to kick this in the crotch... unfortunately... stupid non-gun owner look at this and say, "what's the big deal... you have to register a car... so why not a gun"... basically they dont understand that the state will confiscate any guns they dont like.

http://boston.metro.us/metro/local/article/Suffolk_DA_calls_for_tighter_firearms_laws/5798.html

Your local cheif's knows every permit holder in town (rather intimately I am told) and should be advised that the vast majority of them have exactly two hands. Please advise your officers to watch both of them very carefully. Problem solved

DA Conley would seem to be a fool and, quite possibly, a liar.

Not that I have an opinion on the subject......... [wink]

You are being way too kind... [smile] I still can't comment on this, I don't have anything remotely tactful to say about Conley... [angry]

To Dan Conley: IMHO its the way the state handles gang violence, etc. Thats what we're really talking about right? That's where all the "illegal" gun activity is. Well, I'm glad to see the 45 days of being under a microscope, with my background being poked and proded and privacy looked into with intense scrutany by complete strangers still basically labels me, a "LEGAL AND JUST" person in the Commonwealth as a "potential contributor" to the state's gang violence problems.

Funny that while we have some of the toughest gun laws, we are one of the states where gun crime is rising the fastest.

The registry has worked so well in Canada that they scrapped it . . . AFTER costing Canadian tax payers billions!

Who says you have to be tactful?

Actually, Derek is giving us Mods a break. If he lets loose, than one of us will have to edit the boss's post. [wink]

Just wait folks. When Martha gets in, this will only be a matter of time. Having Devil as Gov and a House and Senate that's overwhelmingly D's, it's gonna be a moot point. They don't care that it won't affect the bad guys.

I too mad to comment right now...

I'm not.

http://massbackwards.blogspot.com/2006/11/same-old-same-old.html

EXCERPT...

Jarrett, how do you manage to keep a straight face while telling such a flat-out lie? Remind me never to invite you over for poker night.

If you're referring to lawfully-owned guns being sold from one licensed gun owner to another, then you need to wake up and smell the shit that you're shoveling. Every person who buys a gun in this manner, or "off the radar" as you put it, is required, by law, to file paperwork (Form F.A.-10 10/98) with the Commonwealth's Firearms Record Bureau in Chelsea, within 7 days of transfer of the firearm.

This form requires the parties involved with the private sale or transfer of the firearm to provide the state with the following information:

- Seller's full name
- Seller's firearms license number
- Seller's city/town of residence
- Buyer's full name
- Buyer's home address
- Buyer's firearms license number
- Buyer's date of birth
- Buyer's place of birth
- Buyer's race
- Buyer's gender
- Buyer's height
- Buyer's weight
- Buyer's eye color
- Buyer's hair color
- Buyer's employer's name
- Buyer's occupation
- Firearm make
- Firearm type
- Firearm model
- Firearm caliber/guage
- Firearm barrel length
- Firearm surface finish
- Firearm date of transfer

This is what Senator Barrios describes as "no mechanism for monitoring guns 'sold off the radar screen'". Senator Barrios is what I describes as a disingenuous jackass with no respect for the rights of the people of Massachusetts...who happen to disagree with him.

by christina wallace / metro boston

> email this to a friend
NOV 21, 2006

BOSTON — With 341 shootings in Boston this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley yesterday called for tighter gun laws, more collaboration between federal and local authorities in cracking down on gun traffickers and the creation of a gun registry tracking the number of guns a person owns.

“Law enforcement agencies like mine are routinely denied information that would allow us to trace weapons used in crimes back to their source to determine whether the gun was stolen or sold or dumped by unscrupulous individuals and dealers,” Conley said during a hearing on gun violence at the State House yesterday. “As it now stands, ATF [U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms] can only share very limited gun trace data information with police and prosecutors.”

In addition, Conley called for the creation of a gun registry that would require gun owners to register all the guns they own in a statewide database that could be accessed by law enforcement.

Rep. Gloria Fox, D-Boston, echoed Conley’s concern regarding the flow of guns from neighboring states, and the need for federal and local officials to work together. Fox said she believes a gun trafficking summit bringing legislators and local and federal authorities together is essential to deal with this epidemic.

“Enough is enough. If we’re not stopping the trafficking of guns then shame on us,” said Fox, who also testified before the Joint Committee on Public Safety.

You're right Daniel Conley and Gloria Fox......Enough IS Enough!!!! You want my guns?.....YOU come and try to take them from me. The price that you pay will be higher than you could ever have imagined. I'll be right here waiting for you.

Whenever I hear somone on a forum like this say "You just come and try to take them, you'll get more than you bargained for.", I wonder if they are really thinking about what they're saying. Lots of folks on here are LEOs. Many of us have LEO friends or relatives. My son is a cop. There is no way I am going to shoot sombody coming to my door, and I doubt very much that any other sensible people are suggesting you do that.

We have to work to fight the new laws, not the people who might have to enforce them. Get some more money to GOAL and to the NRA/ILA.

Write letters, send e mails, talk to your neighbors. I don't like what I'm hearing either, but the fight is with the politicians and will be won by voting, not shooting.

Whenever I hear somone on a forum like this say "You just come and try to take them, you'll get more than you bargained for.", I wonder if they are really thinking about what they're saying. Lots of folks on here are LEOs. Many of us have LEO friends or relatives. My son is a cop. There is no way I am going to shoot sombody coming to my door, and I doubt very much that any other sensible people are suggesting you do that.

We have to work to fight the new laws, not the people who might have to enforce them. Get some more money to GOAL and to the NRA/ILA.

Write letters, send e mails, talk to your neighbors. I don't like what I'm hearing either, but the fight is with the politicians and will be won by voting, not shooting.

Exactly...we also have to consider that LEO's are just that....they enforce the law not make the law. I won't be so bold as to speak for anyone in law enforcement but I assume that some may not like the laws either. But it's not up to them to pick and choose which ones to enforce. Their job is to enforce them all regardless of whether or not they agree with them.

I've said it in another thread.....if they show up at my door they can come in for some coffee and then take them away. I'll fight for my rights within the law.

Do you guys remember what happened in New Orleans? [thinking]

Yeah, what if it's an emergency and your family's lives DEPEND on you having the ability to defend them? What do you do then? Hand them over and then hope that the thugs roaming around like in New Orleans will let you live?

That seems like bullshit to me. It's one reason why gun registration needs to be defeated. The government has NO business knowing what guns are owned and by whom. None whatsoever. Once they do they can come and get them whenever they want. Far better for them not to know and folks to be able to quietly keep what they have.

Do you guys remember what happened in New Orleans? [thinking]

yes, and right or wrong you can't shoot police. It got national headlines and the law was changed. I have no idea if they got thier firearms back but you still can't shoot it out with police. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Yeah, what if it's an emergency and your family's lives DEPEND on you having the ability to defend them? What do you do then? Hand them over and then hope that the thugs roaming around like in New Orleans will let you live?

That seems like bullshit to me. It's one reason why gun registration needs to be defeated. The government has NO business knowing what guns are owned and by whom. None whatsoever. Once they do they can come and get them whenever they want. Far better for them not to know and folks to be able to quietly keep what they have.

the reason they're stealing our rights is beacuse we are quietly keeping what we have. We need to speak up now not be quiet. We've been quiet for too long.

You know...I've thought about it alot. I say EXACTLY what I mean and mean EXACTLY what I say. Clear enough for you now?

I don't give a rats ass that there are LEOs on this board or that your son is a cop. They all have the choice to do what is "right" or what they are "ordered" to do....just like the officers who were hanged in Nuremberg Germany. That excuse of "just following orders" didn't hold water then, nor does it now.
A bad law is no law at all and anyone enforcing it is as guilty as those who passed it. I will not be scapegoated for the crimes of others under any circumstances, nor will I allow my rights to be disolved by the whim of some jackass politician for his or her own political gain. If you feel you want to give up your guns, feel free to, but don't expect everyone else to fall in line behind you.

You know...I've thought about it alot. I say EXACTLY what I mean and mean EXACTLY what I say. Clear enough for you now?

I don't give a rats ass that there are LEOs on this board or that your son is a cop. They all have the choice to do what is "right" or what they are "ordered" to do....just like the officers who were hanged in Nuremberg Germany. That excuse of "just following orders" didn't hold water then, nor does it now.
A bad law is no law at all and anyone enforcing it is as guilty as those who passed it. I will not be scapegoated for the crimes of others under any circumstances, nor will I allow my rights to be disolved by the whim of some jackass politician for his or her own political gain. If you feel you want to give up your guns, feel free to, but don't expect everyone else to fall in line behind you.

perfect example as to why they are striving to create additional gun control.

And if everyone else is like you.....they'll undoutedly succeed.

I don't want to give them up any more than you do. We have different methods is all. Getting into a shoot out with LEO is only going to get me killed. How does that help anything? It would just be more ammunition for the dems to implement more control and use me as an example...so using violence will only work to further their cause and it doesn't help us at all.... just my humble opinion.

Just one more point about that....look how much they've restricted us by focusing on the gun use of illegal posession and use of guns. Imagine how strong their cause would be if legal gun owners rose up in violence. They dems have imposed these restrictions through voice and lobbying...we need to take our rights back the same way. Ok...I'm done. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now they're blaming legal gun owners for gun crime. Wow, how the tables have turned. I guess this is what Patrick means by "common sense" gun laws.

Actually, they were thinking this all along. They are just emboldened enough now to actually say it out loud.

I don't want to give them up any more than you do. We have different methods is all. Getting into a shoot out with LEO is only going to get me killed. How does that help anything? It would just be more ammunition for the dems to implement more control and use me as an example...so using violence will only work to further their cause and it doesn't help us at all.... just my humble opinion.

There's a price for everything in life. Everyone pays sooner or later and everyone pays what they are willing to sacrifice.

If the founding fathers of this country hadn't pledged their lives, fortunes and honor for what they believed, we'd still be saluting that ugly queen of England now.

You make your decisions in life and others will make theirs. History proves that those who have taken your path have in the long run failed and been subjugated or worse, killed off with no change in the speed of the steamroller that rolled over them. Men fight and die everyday around the world for what they feel is right and just. We don't live in a bubble. If politicians or their flunkies think that their lives will be worth a bent nickel if they try to outlaw guns in this country(or state) they are deluding themselves. The people who will resist and come for them are the ones they trained so well in their own militaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom