Sue happy Transgender woman might be going to prison post 92

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Accusations fly at human rights hearing into transgender woman’s Brazilian wax complaint

VANCOUVER — A B.C. Human Rights Tribunal hearing devolved into repeated outbursts and name-calling this week as it considered a transgender woman’s complaint that a home-based salon discriminated against her by denying her a Brazilian wax.

At one point, the complainant compared the business owner to a neo-Nazi. The lawyer for the business owner accused the complainant of engaging in “half-truths and fabrications.” Tribunal adjudicator Devyn Cousineau frequently had to interject to maintain decorum and to keep the hearing from careening off course.

But a substantive question remained at the core of the raucous daylong hearing: should a business be allowed to deny service on the basis of gender identity?

Jessica Yaniv, the complainant, told the hearing she was entitled to receive the advertised wax service and that if the tribunal ruled against her it could lead to a “dangerous” precedent.

“You cannot choose who your clientele is going to be,” she said.

I have no problem with LGBT

However, business owner Marcia Da Silva said she was not comfortable carrying out a Brazilian wax on a person with male genitalia, nor did she have the training for it. Jay Cameron, Da Silva’s lawyer and litigation manager with the Alberta-based Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, told the hearing that a ruling against his client would be tantamount to ordering “intimate services” against someone’s will.

The complaint heard Wednesday is one of more than a dozen filed by Yaniv, who describes herself as a digital marketing expert and LGBTQ activist. All allege she was the subject of discrimination by salons. A few complaints have been settled without hearing or withdrawn.

Yaniv also made headlines recently for engaging in a social media spat with free-speech advocate Lindsay Shepherd, in which they both made disparaging remarks about each other. Twitter subsequently banned Shepherd from the platform, but not Yaniv.

The tribunal had initially issued a publication ban shielding Yaniv’s identity, but on Wednesday Cousineau decided to lift the ban based on Yaniv’s social media presence and public advocacy.

At Wednesday’s hearing, Yaniv, who is representing herself, said she came upon a Facebook ad in spring 2018 offering a promotion for a Brazilian wax, which involves the removal of pubic hair around the groin.

Da Silva testified she had just started her home-based business after previously performing waxes on family and friends. Yaniv was the first person to respond to her ad, she said.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Actually I could care less how people want to identify themselves nor do I care how they want to modify their appearance. Knock yourself out, live your life- but don't force your aberrant lifestyle on others who might be uncomfortable with it. Don't expect anyone else to contribute to your choices. And sure as hell don't think you can force someone to handle your outdoor plumbing if that person only works with those who have indoor plumbing.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually I could care less how people want to identify themselves nor do I care how they want to modify their appearance. Knock yourself out, live your life- but don't force your aberrant lifestyle on others who might be uncomfortable with it. Don't expect anyone else to contribute to your choices. And sure as hell don't think you can force someone to handle your outdoor plumbing if that person only works with those who have indoor plumbing.
Yep... that's exactly how I feel, and have stated so to a few liberal friends that weep for them.

If that what you're into, that's what rocks your boat, that's what you believe... more power to ya.
I won't stand in your way.

Just don't insist/demand that I comply with, acknowledge, respect your delusional mental disorder (example... addressing you as sir/ma'am, he/she, etc
when you clearly are not and will never be).

You do that, and we'll get along just fine.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What happens when the waxers lose the case? Jail? Forced to do procedure? Fine? Amazing lack of details in article.... I have no idea how a "tribunal" works but it sounds bad.

JDL

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He/She/It or what ever it is would be singing different song once the wax is pulled off of the sack . My daughter is an estatission and has her own spa in East Longmeadow MA and she has refused to wax men's genials. She explained this is not something you can do without causing pain and trouble . It is amazing that she even has to deal with this request

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
He/She/It or what ever it is would be singing different song once the wax is pulled off of the sack . My daughter is an estatission and has her own spa in East Longmeadow MA and she has refused to wax men's genials. She explained this is not something you can do without causing pain and trouble . It is amazing that she even has to deal with this request
I would guess if the victim of this lawsuit had agreed to do the job, it would have gone badly. Then the fat cow trans whatever would then sue for injuries. There is no way to win with these people.

clampett

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From looking at the picture I'm guessing she didn't need to have a breast implant procedure.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem
If she's forced to do it ,claim sexual assault.
Only a f*going pervert wants to force someone to touch their junk against their will.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
No problem
If she's forced to do it ,claim sexual assault.
Only a f*going pervert wants to force someone to touch their junk against their will.
Yes, but the victim priority currently puts trans well ahead of female rape victim. So, her claims of sexual assault are going to be ignored. There is only one victim category left ahead of trans, and that is mooslim.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Is a transgenereded woman a man becoming a woman or a woman becoming a man?
I get confused all the time.

Whatever it may be ze needs to get a trimmer and do it ze self.

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Update, I'm sure everyone was waiting on the edge of their seat for this one lol

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/transgender-woman-human-rights-waxing-1.5227434

transgender woman testified before the B.C. Human Rights tribunal Friday complaining that she was refused Brazilian waxes at more than a dozen beauty salons because she is transgender.

Jessica Yaniv says she's been repeatedly refused waxing services since 2018. For the past several months, the tribunal has been conducting hearings into the complaints against each of the waxing salons and independent estheticians.

"None of these providers had any issue with anything until I mentioned I was transgender. Why was it not brought up saying, 'Hey we don't do services on male genitalia'?"

Yaniv, who identifies as female but has male genitalia, contacted the businesses through Facebook messages requesting to book an appointment for waxing services including a Brazilian wax which removes most or all pubic hair.

She says many of the estheticians advertised themselves as offering arm, leg, and pubic hair waxing for either male or female customers.

However, when Yaniv informed them she was transgender she says she was suddenly refused appointments outright, or that the estheticians made excuses for no longer being able to perform the service.

In response to the complaints against them, several estheticians have claimed to lack the training required for waxing male genitals, or that they are not comfortable doing so for religious or personal reasons.

Jessica Yaniv, left, and her mother, Miriam Yaniv, believe the human rights tribunal should recognized the salon's refusal of service as discrimination. (Maggie MacPherson/CBC)

Yaniv withdrew a previous complaint against Laser Cut and was ordered by the tribunal to pay legal costs of $150.

Religion and lack of training
Earlier this month, the Calgary-based Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms represented three British Columbian estheticians before the human rights tribunal.

"We don't believe that it's a human right to be able to compel a woman to wax male genitalia," said lawyer and Justice Centre president John Carpay.

On its website, the centre states that one of its clients, Sandeep Banipal is not trained to wax male genitals and that Blue Heaven Beauty Lounge, the business she owns, does not advertise male genital waxing.

Sukhi Hehar Gill, an esthetician also represented by the Justice Centre, is a practicing Sikh and claims this prevents her from travelling to a biologically male's house for house calls.

The public hearing attracted attention Friday with about 30 individuals attending the proceedings and gathering outside. Some were there to support Yaniv while others demonstrated in support of the estheticians, many of whom are women of colour.

In a May 2019 decision, the tribunal member adjudicating the hearing said she was "troubled that some of JY's comments, made within this process and online, suggest that she holds stereotypical and negative views about immigrants to Canada."

Yaniv is seeking financial remedies of $25,000 from at least one corporate salon and $7,500 from an independent esthetician.

She also wants the B.C. Human Rights tribunal to issue a statement declaring the refusal of waxing services to be discriminatory and prohibited.

"It's not about the service at all," said Yaniv after the hearing concluded on Friday. "When you start discriminating against certain service elements and certain protected classes that's when we really have an issue."

The tribunal says it will have a decision on the case within three months.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ROFLMAO......let me get this straight (no pun intended)......these people wax peoples butt holes for a living and they're complaining about having to wax a dudes butt hole vs a womans?

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Ok.....difference without a meaningful difference......they wax beavers all day every day
"your honor, I'm not qualified to wax male genitalia which I explained several times"

"your honor, she ripped my nutsack"

In the day and age when everything is regulated and licensed etc. it sounds like a liability to me...

That's actually a legit concern for the salon owner when she says she hasn't been trained for it (and also terribly funny how you phrased it).

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Would you really want to win a suit like that and after it's all over and you won, the prize is letting the person you just sued put hot wax on your privates and then pull it off. Doesn't seem like much of a win.

ISOTOX

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
Would you really want to win a suit like that and after it's all over and you won, the prize is letting the person you just sued put hot wax on your privates and then pull it off. Doesn't seem like much of a win.
Lost my first adult beverage of the day through my nose.....best post of the day![rofl]

Whutmeworry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NOT 1600 Pennsylvannia Avenue anymore!!!!
Of course you know that’s not what it’s even about. It’s just all about power and control. The power to control what people think, and the power to scare people into compliance no matter how ridiculous the act.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
[rofl2] That's the first thing I thought of. "Oh you want to force me to wax your balls?" No problem sweetie. Did you sign the waver? Well then sit down and strap in cuz shit is about to get real... [rofl2]

Top Bottom