Sudden value increase!

I've made some of my most fun purchases while a little buzzed...

Buddy of mine texts me at 11 am on a Saturday. "dude. I think I bought a spear last night. Then I spilled beer on my laptop and the keyboard doesn't work. Help. ".

A USB keyboard and some history searching later... Spear. Check. Leather loincloth. Check. Shield. Check. Slave "outfit" for the hot chic next door neighbor who invited herself in and started the whole evening. Check.

Now back to topic. I really need to get a lower ordered this week. Or two. I didn't know about PMA before, but I believe that 14.5" Mlok kit is going to be on the way to me next paycheck.

I'm good with the whole prep except for the muzzel device. J Michulek's is the best for the money IMHO.

64 different AR upper in stock and BCM is top tier stuff.

Has BCM started shipping to MA addresses? They have been on the list of "wont ship to MA" for years along with PSA, Aero, Les Baer, etc

I've got to say; In all my years of being part of this group, I have never seen prices get so high for AR's and AK's, even SKS. Prices have literally doubled. I know they are tough to get, but the prices are so high they make buying a "PreBan" Glock 19 for $750.00 sound like a great deal! Some serious gouging going on. I get it, but it's a damn shame.
Supply and demand.

Has BCM started shipping to MA addresses? They have been on the list of "wont ship to MA" for years along with PSA, Aero, Les Baer, etc
Good point. I did get a BCM upper last month however my daughter lives in Rhode Island. :cool: I wonder i someone would get a P.O box in RI?

This is worth mentioning. There’s what people are listing for and what people are paying. I bought a few toys during this run and actually got some pretty good deals. Not saying people won’t pay ridiculous prices, but a little patience for the right deal goes a long way. The kicker is the ammo!!
Is 3.5 years of patience reasonable for a browning auto 5 shotgun? There's one that's been bumped weekly for almost 3 years still asking $700 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Does it shock everyone that the laws of supply and demand, as sure as death and taxes, applies to guns? If someone will pay more, it is worth more to them, and are you a fool for not asking the going rate? :)
Ah....it doesn't shock me at all. I hate the term "gouging" when it's referring to a transaction between two parties that agree on the value.

Well f*** me sideways, I typed a response and something got assed up.

Basically it went something along these lines,

Costs should be built into pricing already.
All gougers suck, flippers can eat shit.
Don't change prices in front of customers.
Got enough friends already, don't need any more drama.
People suck and easily panic.
I'm okay with fireworks pricing(full disclosure I haven't bought any in close to thirty years) because it's a once a year thing and we can blow shit up while LEOs generally turn a blind eye(try that shit in Sept. and see if you stay out of jail).
Given what I've read here profits aren't in ammo/guns, they're in most of the other items. Kind of like buying a soda and candy bar at Cumbys after filling up.
TPNES rocks and should get a holiday named after him.
Again, flippers can eat shit.
New folks not in the know have no idea about TPNES and others and believe what ill informed dolts tell them(talking heads).
If Amazon sold ammo it'd all disappear before it ever made it to the storage bins, while Amazon employees have BG checks done the temps don't(saw a decent amount of gang ink in Stoughton and some in the Riva).
As much as it blows limits will also keep stock on the shelves.

I just want more folks getting into the hobby/sport, which won't happen if shit doesn't settle down wrt prices.

In the end I'm indifferent when it comes to things in Ma.. If TPTB were to pass a law tomorrow banning everything I'd simply pack up all my guns/ammo and either throw out or give away nearly everything else and point the car towards greener pastures.
So the price of things is too high, and you want someone to artificially fix the prices so you can buy things at the price you want to pay?

Spear. Check. Leather loincloth. Check. Shield. Check. Slave "outfit" for the hot chic next door neighbor who invited herself in and started the whole evening. Check.
I love a story with a 'happy ending'... 😍

Yes, but had you kept your shit you used to accumulate, at the prices you and I used to buy that shit at, that mag dump with M193 equiv 5.56 would cost us about 5-6 bucks or
so, maybe $7.50 on a bad year where the Rileys drive by XM193 loaf price was like $125.00... [laugh]

I wouldn't blame gun culture in its entirety. It's new vs old. You probably have been shooting longer than I have but the method of induction so to speak has changed. Back before Sandyhook and obamascares, new gun owners were different. They entered with some trepidation. Which means they sought guidance from others that they thought knew better. New gun owners WANTED to be informed. Now it's all about instant gratification. You still see that pragmatism now with some new gun owners, but it ain't a majority. It's some guy going into a gun shop now going BWEAHIWANNAGUN CUZ IM AFRAID OF OBAMA (or insert some bogeyman here) not, "I'm going to ask my friend Greg about guns because I know he owns them and can probably tell me a few things". I think most of us from the pre-sandy hook BS era had a lot more guidance from others. Either from family (because people grew up in gun families) or from accumulated experience from other gun people we knew, etc, or because we stuffed our face into some book or internet post about some gun that captured our attenetion and wanted to learn shit. I love the fact that there are more gun owners, problem is many of them are taking the homer simpson approach... "Waiting Period? BUT IM ANGRY NOW!!!!" [rofl] Nobody has any patience for anything anymore. There was a measured pragmatism among the overwhelming majority of gun enthusiasts. Now as a % a huge part of that is gone. I blame a lot of social
media BS, and the 24 hr news cycle as well. It froths people into a lather and then people on the "Ow, my balls" end of the spectrum succumb to hysteria rather easily.

I still have enough, even after selling a lot of it a while back..What I used to do was say shoot 200 rounds and replace it with double. I can't do that anymore, so that's what I meant by expensive..Hell, I can mag dump a banana AR clip for less than $3.00..What I can't do is replace what I shot for anywhere close to that price..I don't think I have bought 5.56 in 10 years. The thought of shooting ammo and not replacing it kinda scares me, so my AR gathers dust. That's gonna change next week though, just got an LPVO and I am looking forward to using it.

So how'd you do it? Private sales until limit is reached then the rest through FFL, or consignment-style?
Thanks for this post.

Mostly ammo on here and rifles AR15.com.

Mostly on Arf though.

I actually sold an Arsenal at a non rape price to a guy at a NES kegger in Gardner a while ago, can't remember his name or if he is still even a member here.

"sudden value increase" I think you mistakenly used a wrong word in here. "value" , I think "gouging" would be more appropriate. LOL

I'm glad I bought 7K rds of 9MM before the price doubled.

I won't speak for Greg, but back when I had to occasionally fire sale shit because of necessity (eg to pay bills that my ex helped accumulate and most of the time, not for "profit") I ran 95% of my sales through FFLs. I saved the FTFs for people I knew, or situations where using a dealer made it a pain in the ass. Or in one case, when "The Rat" didn't show up at his shop where I was going to run the transfer, wasn't in his shop and wouldn't allow his staff to do transfers (apparently, none of them were "responsible persons" on the FFL) although the nice guys in his shop let us use his copy machine and gave us a free FA-10 form.... I always laugh at that, he screwed himself out of 35 bucks and I got to use his copy machine, for nothing, and also neither me or the other guy bought anything in his store... [rofl] (the shop wasnt my choosing, but the buyer found it convenient so I went there).

This. I "did a guy a favor" that I'd never met on another forum, and it was a MA complaint gun and I wanted to go to my FFL, but because he said he gets delayed alot, he wanted a FTF. At that same time, I was in the process of selling another firearm that can only be done private and realized, I'd just blown my last personal for the year for this guy, and wanted to do it through an FFL, but the potential buyer changed his mind. Shame on me for not checking my sales. So by me doing a favor, I stepped on my own toes. The point is when selling something, sometimes no matter how much you do, the buyer "wants fries and an apple pie" with it. I also have to say that I've fairly priced some items and only got tire kickers on here and sold them on another forum and they've never been at gouging prices at ALL. As Dr. Grant mentions, if you don't like the price you don't have to buy it, and yes I agree some guys are trying to get 2 1/2 times MSRP for something pre ban on here. And it's their right if they got the stones and your right not to buy it. And you will unusually see the ads last "quite a while" on here as buyers can be quite "frugal".

I started buying multiples of semi-auto surplus and .mil style firearms back in the early 1980's. Garand/SKS/AK/AR primarily.
I don't need them all, but can't talk myself into selling off the extras. Same goes for shotguns/pistols/revolvers/knives/ammunition.

Can someone please tell me how a person is supposed to "sell off" family???
Did that in the 90's, sold a lot of them in the mid 2000's and completely regret it.

Back
Top Bottom