Successful Launch

Garys

NES Member
I was taking the stock out of my AR to install a single point sling mount. I watched all of the videos and built the lower myself. Still, I forgot to press down on the buffer retaining detent and managed to launch it into orbit in my basement. I found the spring, but the detent is gone to the Detent Secret Burial Ground.

I ordered a replacement from Brownells and it should be here in a week or so.

Still, what a PITA.

Thanks for the offer. I don't think "Go Time" will arrive before the part comes. I'll think of it as penance for not paying attention to WTF I was doing.

BTW, when I did the original build, I launched one of the smaller detents off into space in my family room. It took an hour, but I found it. After that I bought spare detents and springs, but didn't buy a set for the recoil buffer because I didn't expect to ever touch it again.

A coupe of years ago I launched the plunger cup and main spring from one of my S&W semi autos in the same area of my basement as the buffer retainer. I found both of them, but the retainer is much smaller.

You'd think I'd have figured this out by now, but nooooooo.

Well not go time. But didn't know if you had a range day planned. Offer stands if brownells doesn't come through. My eyes are so bad I could have lost a buffer spring. So you can imagine how many tiny parts I replace

It’s amazing how far those damn things fly . I launched one when I built mine, I found it but it went behind my bench and under a set of stairs. You would of thought I dropped a diamond down on all fours searching the floor. 😂

If it helps, there's a very real argument that it's best to eschew the buffer retainer anyways. They are known to break occasionally and work their way into the trigger mechanism. Best of all, if you upgrade to a captured buffer/spring assembly they're almost entirely worthless. (I might be in the midst of assembling one myself, and deciding if I should bother with exactly that part...allegedly)

Well not go time. But didn't know if you had a range day planned. Offer stands if brownells doesn't come through. My eyes are so bad I could have lost a buffer spring. So you can imagine how many tiny parts I replace

I've been wearing glasses since I was seven and that's a lonnnnng time ago. I feel, but don't necessarily see, your pain. ;)

If it helps, there's a very real argument that it's best to eschew the buffer retainer anyways. They are known to break occasionally and work their way into the trigger mechanism. Best of all, if you upgrade to a captured buffer/spring assembly they're almost entirely worthless. (I might be in the midst of assembling one myself, and deciding if I should bother with exactly that part...)

I've never heard of that, but will take a look at it. I don't really fire this all that much, so it might not be an issue.

I found a trick that works if you have some idea of the general area of a lost mini part. I have an outrageously bright hand held lantern type light. I put it on the floor and aim it in what ever direction casts the best shadow . It usually illuminates something that is in plain sight but lurking in a shadow. I usually try to disassemble things in a cardboard box that 4 six packs come in LOL seems I always have one or 2 or those around.

I was taking the stock out of my AR to install a single point sling mount. I watched all of the videos and built the lower myself. Still, I forgot to press down on the buffer retaining detent and managed to launch it into orbit in my basement. I found the spring, but the detent is gone to the Detent Secret Burial Ground.

I ordered a replacement from Brownells and it should be here in a week or so.

Still, what a PITA.
Welcome to the club!

There are three kinds of people. Those that have lost small parts, those that wiil, and those that lie about it. ;
I found a trick that works if you have some idea of the general area of a lost mini part. I have an outrageously bright hand held lantern type light. I put it on the floor and aim it in what ever direction casts the best shadow . It usually illuminates something that is in plain sight but lurking in a shadow. I usually try to disassemble things in a cardboard box that 4 six packs come in LOL seems I always have one or 2 or those around.

I've used that with some success in the past, but this time the part is no where to be found. OTOH, I did find some small parts that disappeared years ago!

Does his rear take down pin go right to left? I don't think I have ever seen the take down pins installed that way.
The original GWACS CAV lower didn't retain its takedown pins. This means users could install them from either side. (I suppose it's also possible they reversed the video, but I doubt that)

Thanks for the offer. I don't think "Go Time" will arrive before the part comes. I'll think of it as penance for not paying attention to WTF I was doing.

BTW, when I did the original build, I launched one of the smaller detents off into space in my family room. It took an hour, but I found it. After that I bought spare detents and springs, but didn't buy a set for the recoil buffer because I didn't expect to ever touch it again.

A coupe of years ago I launched the plunger cup and main spring from one of my S&W semi autos in the same area of my basement as the buffer retainer. I found both of them, but the retainer is much smaller.

You'd think I'd have figured this out by now, but nooooooo.
The engineer in me automatically bought two LPKs when I built my first AR along side @CoastieRon 's build thread.

I believe I used 2-3 spare springs on my first build. Doing one without vice blocks is hard.

I have learned to look for spare spring kits, and have most of 5 LPKs plus springs to replace anything in any AE a few times over. Also cheaper than a full LPK. If I buy an LPK for any reason, I grab a spring kit.

But those are all packed.

Last build, I of course launched the safety detent spring. Spare spring kit out to save the day. Launched the spring again. Found both in the same place.

Always wear eyepro while loading metal bits. ;)

Back
Top Bottom