Suburban propane, F these guys

Mattyweb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone else getting hosed by Suburban right now? We have been without propane for days. Heat and hot water. We are on automatic delivery so they should be keeping our tank filled. I have been calling them since last week when I noticed it was getting low. At first they just were not answering the phone at all at the local Marlborough office. I finally got through to corporate and had an emergency delivery placed. Local manager was supposed to call me with a delivery time. Never called so I got back on the phone with corporate the next day. Same deal, emergency order, will call you. Yeah right. Finally yesterday, got through to the local office and was given a delivery estimate of today. When I stated that was not good enough and said I would find someone else to fill it, of course they gave me the ‘you can’t have someone else fill our tank” bs. Ok you can’t fill it but you won’t let anyone else when I am out of fuel? How do they get away with this bs?

Of course they still didn’t show today either. I can accept that things sometimes happen and many people are functioning on brains barely able to provide primary life support. Excuses such as “it has been cold” and “there was snow” during winter when your sole job is to provide fuel during this time, don’t really sway me much. What I really cannot accept is being lied to. Days of bs and telling me they will deliver when they fully know they are not is just unacceptable to me. Not only has it wasted an incredible amount of my time, knowing the truth would have allowed me to plan accordingly rather than expect fuel when they keep saying it will be here.

Even better is while on hold for many cumulative hours over the past week, I get to listen to their effing advertising about how I should sign up for automatic delivery and never have to worry about fuel again. Their 85 years of experience and monitoring local weather patterns..... talk about infuriating.

At least it is making the news and I’m not the only one. Seems to be many people.
Customers claim Suburban Propane's refill plan leaving them dry

Anyone work for a propane company want to fill my tank?

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time to find a new company. Can you buy your own tank? Google shows results from anywhere between $400 and $2000 depending on condition.

I mean...I'm on oil...so I own the tank in my house. I can call any god-damn-buddy I want to fill my tank and they'll do it.

Good luck, man!

Mattyweb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We tried to buy our own tank, really really tried, and were told many times from many avenues that we could not. My plumber tried to purchase one from the supply house on our behalf and they would not sell him one. Seems like the companies worked hard to eliminate private ownership and all agree to not fill anyone else’s tank so they can fix their prices and people can’t shop around.

Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
Eastern Propane, are they available in your area? Have been very happy with them.
I never signed with Suburban due to the lawsuits against them.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Another reason oil is a great choice, you can pick your delivery company.
City gas your stuck, and look what you are going thru with propane gas

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else getting hosed by Suburban right now? We have been without propane for days. Heat and hot water. We are on automatic delivery so they should be keeping our tank filled. I have been calling them since last week when I noticed it was getting low. At first they just were not answering the phone at all at the local Marlborough office. I finally got through to corporate and had an emergency delivery placed. Local manager was supposed to call me with a delivery time. Never called so I got back on the phone with corporate the next day. Same deal, emergency order, will call you. Yeah right. Finally yesterday, got through to the local office and was given a delivery estimate of today. When I stated that was not good enough and said I would find someone else to fill it, of course they gave me the ‘you can’t have someone else fill our tank” bs. Ok you can’t fill it but you won’t let anyone else when I am out of fuel? How do they get away with this bs?

Of course they still didn’t show today either. I can accept that things sometimes happen and many people are functioning on brains barely able to provide primary life support. Excuses such as “it has been cold” and “there was snow” during winter when your sole job is to provide fuel during this time, don’t really sway me much. What I really cannot accept is being lied to. Days of bs and telling me they will deliver when they fully know they are not is just unacceptable to me. Not only has it wasted an incredible amount of my time, knowing the truth would have allowed me to plan accordingly rather than expect fuel when they keep saying it will be here.

Even better is while on hold for many cumulative hours over the past week, I get to listen to their effing advertising about how I should sign up for automatic delivery and never have to worry about fuel again. Their 85 years of experience and monitoring local weather patterns..... talk about infuriating.

At least it is making the news and I’m not the only one. Seems to be many people.
Customers claim Suburban Propane's refill plan leaving them dry

Anyone work for a propane company want to fill my tank?
Around here you can buy 100gal tanks at Lowe's, etc.
Is that an option for you?

Eta: even as a stop-gap meassure?

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Call another company. They will deliver and replace the other companies tank. Most likely on the same day if you let them know you need it now. The process takes a few minutes.

Then you call the old company and tell them pick up their trash.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Call another company. They will deliver and replace the other companies tank. Most likely on the same day if you let them know you need it now. The process takes a few minutes.

Then you call the old company and tell them pick up their trash.
He did mention it was under ground so it may be more difficult to remove in the winter.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
He did mention it was under ground so it may be more difficult to remove in the winter.
Ah, missed that part. Damn, that makes it tough.

OP, call another company and have an above ground tank installed if they can. They will throw a concrete pad and sit the tank on it. Im not sure about the connection, but it shouldn't be tough. You can always have the old company come take their tank during spring and have the new company install their tank underground.

JJ4

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Call DiLeo Gas in Worcester. They will sell/install you a tank that you own and then anybody can fill it. Their prices seem to be the best anyway.

Tell Suburban to come pick up their tank and get it off your property.

Edit to add: DiLeo can put some temporary tanks above ground for you as well until you get a permanent tank installed.

Link: Dileo Gas

Usually when a propane tank runs empty they are required to pressure-test them as well. That maybe one reason Suburban can't just show up and re-fill. They might need to come inside and check pilot lights also so you don't blow up your house.

Last edited:

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Never had any trouble with SP. Called EP once and they wanted crazy money for a tank. I'd rather just pay $10/year to SP to lease their tank. Sorry you're having such a sh!tty experience.

Mattyweb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. Definitely will call Dileo in the morning. Would love to own my own tank.

Current tank is a 500 gallon in ground. Although no reason it can’t be d/c-ed and a temporary above ground be hooked up until a more permanent solution is installed.

System is all electronic so no pilot light. Should not be an issue starting it back up.

Thanks again, you guys are great.

Mattyweb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha, ok, I have to give credit where it is due: it is now 1:05AM and the truck just left. A little late but I have to give him/them credit for working around the clock. Guy is not done yet either. Said he had about two left in the tank and will refill and go all night.

Now I have to decide if I keep them or switch. They did come through in the end but I really could have done without all the stress of the past week, the dishonesty, being without heat for few days. 1am delivery kinda sucks when you have two coonhounds and a family trying to sleep too.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm pretty sure that in my contract with amerigas that it states that if I am on automatic delivery and run out of gas that the refill is free. Might want to look into that.

Parker Duofold

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
At work we used to have Suburban Propane but I found they were really screwing us over on the price per gallon. I switched to a local company and cut our propane cost by 30%.

DPR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This issue does not surprise me at all. I hate propane only because of the companies that deliver it. It's as if delivering propane is a pain in the neck for them. And the tank BS just makes it worse.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Haha, ok, I have to give credit where it is due: it is now 1:05AM and the truck just left. A little late but I have to give him/them credit for working around the clock. Guy is not done yet either. Said he had about two left in the tank and will refill and go all night.

Now I have to decide if I keep them or switch. They did come through in the end but I really could have done without all the stress of the past week, the dishonesty, being without heat for few days. 1am delivery kinda sucks when you have two coonhounds and a family trying to sleep too.
I'd be getting my own tank to divorce from being locked to one vendor....

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a former Suburban Propane customer. They suck. I've been with CK Smith for a few years now, for both oil and propane (fireplace). They are fantastic.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Pretty rare a buried tank is not owned. Have one tank down the cape that is buried and I did have to show proof of ownership to have it filled by our oil company who also sells LP.

Had a battle with Eastern a few years back up here and told them to come get their tanks. Using Amerigas now for a 500 and 120 leased tanks. No issues to date. The 500 is hooked up to the genset and cooking, the 120 only used for a unit heater in the detached garage.

I'm on a will call basis with them so I must allow up to a week for delivery and they must drop at least 75% volume or I get a surcharge.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty rare a buried tank is not owned. Have one tank down the cape that is buried and I did have to show proof of ownership to have it filled by our oil company who also sells LP.

Had a battle with Eastern a few years back up here and told them to come get their tanks. Using Amerigas now for a 500 and 120 leased tanks. No issues to date. The 500 is hooked up to the genset and cooking, the 120 only used for a unit heater in the detached garage.

I'm on a will call basis with them so I must allow up to a week for delivery and they must drop at least 75% volume or I get a surcharge.
Mind telling what they are charging per gal?
I have a 120 gal tank from them @ $90 a year rental

And my last fill up was $4.85 a gal.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Get yourself a BBQ grill tank adapter and the next time Suburban screws you, just hook up a small tank to your main line and relight the pilots. I have been screwed over several times by these propane companies and the ability to hook up a BBQ tank has saved me a lot of grief.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice you're in MA. I posted up a thread about NH residents finding out that there is a massive uptick in orders that caught the suppliers flat footed. they got 3600 calls in the morning alone for heating oil. That doesn't let your gas people off the hook since you had automatic filling. It would appear, however, that they, too, were slammed and can't catch up because there just isn't enough equipment out there to do it. Don't have an answer. Here in CT there's no issue with deliveries at all of either propane or oil. Very interesting that certain areas of the states seem to be affected.

JJ4

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
OP: You could also offer to buy out your existing tank from Suburban. I don't know if they will do it, but they will certainly resist at first. What you need from them is a bill of sale listing the serial number on the tank, so that you can then shop around and have anyone fill it. Your offer would depend on if you are breaking a long term contract with them, and if you have agreed to pay the cost to remove the tank or if they would be responsible for the cost to dig up the tank. If it's their cost, you will have more leverage.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll never use Suburban Propane for anything. I bought my own tanks (2x 420lbs) from Hartmann's in Exeter NH, great company. When I was calling around for best pricing per gallon, Suburban said they would be happy to deliver to me all I had to sign up with yearly contracts with them. Not even for automatic delivery, they just wanted me to sign up that I would use them exclusively with a minimum use fees. I laughed that them. I actually have stuck with Hartmann's because their prices were great last time I filled.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
When you're gettin chill. Call Hank Hill
PROPANE!
Need to run your grill. Call Hank Hill
PROPANE!
He's alright, he's alright, he's alright.

PROPANE!

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0

I wish I could but the last fill was early spring 2017 and the invoices are buried. I can say that a touch over 4/gal rings a bell.

I got filled in Maine just after Christmas and it was 2.09/gal. I wish someone could explain to me how the same gas is always double the cost down here. Been that way for a very long time.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
This is not just a Suburban issue. Almost every delivery company is flat out overloaded and running 24x7 shifts trying to catch up. My wife works for the Town of Mendon and the Town Hall, Community Center and Firestation all ran out of oil even though they were on autodelivery. The company was so overstretched with emergency orders they were showing up at 4am to fill them up. Not defending Suburban at all as they should have filled you up prior with auto delivery. I have auto delivery with Lorden and at times their prices are a little higher, but they filled my tanks the day before the cold snap preemptively.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yikes - Yea, I paid @$2.09/gal in November. I'm sure its a bit higher at the moment given the oil/propane situation.

Top Bottom