• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suburban perimeter security

If you want a physical barrier but don’t want a giant concrete wall, simple black iron 6ft fence will slow down intruders enough to give you time to respond.

If you spend a bit of money you can keep it very classy.

Couple with infrared perimeter sensors and you’ll maximize your response time.

D208C913-ADF1-407F-B422-43D6103C9513.jpeg
60142D70-0936-4C53-BB32-F81378FCB82C.jpeg

About 6 dogs, pitbulls or German shepherds.
Motion lights
No trees or plants near house
No TV or Xbox boxes on trash day
No fancy cars parked outside

Be alert. If someone is casing you and you give them that I see you look their dick will get soft.

Plus camouflage, look like everyone else around you.

Guarantee perps will pick one of your neighbors instead

I wonder if they have a pepper spray option..
Yes "they" do. The injector will feed any liquid you hook up to it.

If you want a physical barrier but don’t want a giant concrete wall, simple black iron 6ft fence will slow down intruders enough to give you time to respond.
View attachment 600240
I see this in your future
TFhguxi.png

A few years back I bought some cheap solar lights from Walmart, put them all around the yard and house. I even put them in wood line, I felt its a good start and really adds a extra layer of light in dark spots to scare off anyone poking around.
They are high enough so most cant reach them, they look like the have a camera mounted on them and they all have been working fine except for one.

They were 10 bucks a pop and as cheap as they are the work great. Is it better than a wall or high fence, no but as I sit in my house at night and see a light pop on it gets me up and looking.
Plus if it really was a bad dude who is trying to use the cover of darkness, he doesn't know if it was homeowner who tripped the light or solar, more than likely he will move on. Once the your cover is blown your plans are to.

Last edited:
A few years back I bought some cheap solar lights from Walmart, put them all around the yard and house. I even put them in wood line, I fell its a good start and really adds a extra layer of light in dark spots to scare off anyone poking around.
They are high enough so most cant reach them, they look like the have a camera mounted on them and they all have been working fine except for one.

They were 10 bucks a pop and as cheap as they are the work great. Is it better than a wall or high fence, no but as I sit in my house at night and see a light pop on it gets me up and looking.
Plus if it really was a bad dude who is trying to use the cover of darkness, he doesn't know if it was homeowner who tripped the light or solar, more than likely he will move on. Once the your cover is blown your plans are to.
Ive always heard that motion lighting is more of a deterrent than lights that are on all the time.

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes. Im in a decent town but close to the downtown area. Dozens of multi family houses and small apartment building within 3 or 4 blocks of me, along with a couple of highways for easy access/egress. Over the last 3 or 4 years Ive noticed an uptick of shady characters just kind of walking around. Currently there is nothing stopping someone from walking up to the house and around the back. Ive been thinking of some kind of masonry structure along the front where my lawn abuts the sidewalk with some thorn bushes in front to deter climbing it. Maybe half masonry with some sort of metal fence above it, bushes in front or behind. Sliding gate for the driveway.

Just looking for ideas and ballpark numbers at this point. Anyone have anything similar? Decent neighborhood so I dont want 6 foot chain link or a cinderblock wall. PVC can be kicked in by a 10 year old or driven through. Same with wood plus I dont want the maintenance issues of wood. I guess ideally Id like reinforced concrete with some sort of a decent looking masonry facade and decorative metal fence on top. Something that will slow down or stop people on foot or vehicles without looking like a biker clubhouse or a third world hellhole.
You didn't mention how close this wall would be to your house. If it's within Molitoff cocktail tossing distance from your house it can be defeated easily. One glass bottle filled with gasoline smashed against your house and then the perps just need to wait for you to exit of your own accord.

Something to think about.

Motion activated lighting is a good 1st line around the perimeter. Closer to the house, I'm liking the idea of motion activated sprinklers. $46 at Amazon.
If I was really clever I'd figure a way to feed it from a 5 gallon pail of all-season windshield washer fluid so it could work all winter.
81kNKEgGmwL._AC_SX466_.jpg

You didn't mention how close this wall would be to your house. If it's within Molitoff cocktail tossing distance from your house it can be defeated easily. One glass bottle filled with gasoline smashed against your house and then the perps just need to wait for you to exit of your own accord.

My front door is probably 25 feet from the street. :(

About 6 dogs, pitbulls or German shepherds.
Motion lights
No trees or plants near house
No TV or Xbox boxes on trash day
No fancy cars parked outside

Be alert. If someone is casing you and you give them that I see you look their dick will get soft.

Plus camouflage, look like everyone else around you.

Guarantee perps will pick one of your neighbors instead
If you put camo on anything, it immediately becomes cool.

Not sure how true, but I heard it on duck dynasty.

lol I think he’s talking about avg problems…. apex predator types are a whole other ordeal. Making typical daily BDC crackhead randos move on is easy compared to that.

Ive been thinking of some kind of masonry structure along the front where my lawn abuts the sidewalk with some thorn bushes in front to deter climbing it. Maybe half masonry with some sort of metal fence above it, bushes in front or behind. Sliding gate for the driveway.
sounds delightful! :) i've got this vision in my head of the junk yard from one of the final scenes in "pulp fiction", where the wolf, jules and vincent drop that car off to be disposed of. it just sprang into my head when i read your vision for your first line of defense. i can see the boys standing out front discussing going to breakfast.

Some crackheads were casing my trailer this week in Indianapolis while I was packing for my move to KY today…I saw them drive by the cross street and hung out the window looking at the Harley and whatever else was visible. I knew they would be back, so I grabbed a box and headed outside…sure as shit they circled around the block and decided to come directly down my street. The passenger was rubber necking my open trailer until he saw me coming out of the house.

In a perfectly timed coincidence, my neighbor next door was backing out of his driveway so the crack heads had to stop (one way street). I walked right up to the window and asked if I could help them with anything. They both mumbled and looked like they might have tinkled their little crack head panties. I just stood there and stared at them, then walked around the back of the van and took down their plate number because I didn’t have my phone. Then walked over to the drivers side to get a better look at him before they were able to take off.

I left my truck and trailer out all night in the front of the house and no one bothered it. I left my front porch light on and asked my neighbor across the street to do the same.

If you’re lucky enough to notice someone casing your shit…this definitely works! I’m not a very intimidating looking person, but put my best ‘I will pull out your fingernails if you touch my shit’ look on my face when I approached them and apparently it did the trick.

I can WAIT to get out of the city!

Some crackheads were casing my trailer this week in Indianapolis while I was packing for my move to KY today…I saw them drive by the cross street and hung out the window looking at the Harley and whatever else was visible. I knew they would be back, so I grabbed a box and headed outside…sure as shit they circled around the block and decided to come directly down my street. The passenger was rubber necking my open trailer until he saw me coming out of the house.

In a perfectly timed coincidence, my neighbor next door was backing out of his driveway so the crack heads had to stop (one way street). I walked right up to the window and asked if I could help them with anything. They both mumbled and looked like they might have tinkled their little crack head panties. I just stood there and stared at them, then walked around the back of the van and took down their plate number because I didn’t have my phone. Then walked over to the drivers side to get a better look at him before they were able to take off.

I left my truck and trailer out all night in the front of the house and no one bothered it. I left my front porch light on and asked my neighbor across the street to do the same.

If you’re lucky enough to notice someone casing your shit…this definitely works! I’m not a very intimidating looking person, but put my best ‘I will pull out your fingernails if you touch my shit’ look on my face when I approached them and apparently it did the trick.

I can WAIT to get out of the city!

'We don't call the cops out here' is what one of my new neighbors told me recently.

Look at my survival post.
I have lots of wire. 3d printing Punji sticks now!

I'm putting plastic roses on the tops!
Steel garden/yard stakes are nice and sharp on one end. A wire cutter / bolt cutter can quickly make it two.

Btw, Amazon sells razor wire by the skid.

There used to be milsurp seismic permieter security systems available, but they have long ago dried up. A few years ago I contacted a commercial security company that made something similar, and they quoted me $1,000+ PER SENSOR. Yeah, that was not going to happen. So I recently decided to try to make something myself. I am starting with your basic passive infrared (PIR) type sensor and a cheap 2.4 gigahertz radio module, controlled by a knock-off aruino nano. This will let me expand the system beyond the typical 4 sensor max that I see on amazon (it can go up to a whole bunch, hundreds IIRC), and I can eventually set them up in a mesh network to extend the range. I also want to play around with DSP and a commercial geophone to see if I can make something like the original milsurp system I want to emulate. I have a working prototype with a 3d printed enclosure I designed. I need to tweak the enclosure for ease of assembly and the software for better battery life (it's just constantly transmitting now which means the battery only lasts a day or so), but it was a good learning experience. The enclosure has a groove that fits a standard o-ring, but we will see how well that works in practice for waterproofing. If I can get it working well enough I may try my hand a designing a printed circuit board and having it made all-in-one, and possibly sell systems.

Attachments

• PIR-outside.jpg
    PIR-outside.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 7
  • PIR-inside.jpg
    PIR-inside.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom