Submit op-eds to your local newspaper

Mike S

NES Member
I've noticed a coordinated effort by the freedom restriction crowd lately in that they are submitting op-eds to their local newspapers demanding we "do something about gun violence" and that it's a "public health crisis". They are obviously being coordinated from one of the many Soros/Bloomberg/Rosenthal web fronts.

So anyways, please think about writing out a paragraph or two explaining why the 2A is important and submit them to your local new outlets.

Better idea don't read newspapers like the rest of us

Now that’s productive :/

Hey Mike (Mike works for GOAL for this who don’t know, and recently sold me a very nice Garand)...how does one go about submitting an op ed piece? Is there a particular type of editor or other position at a newspaper that a form would typically be submitted to?

I’ve personally never been involved in anything remotely political, as seems to be the story for most of us here. What do you think are some OK things to say...and are there things that shouldn’t be said at all? Namely anything that would be counterproductive to the good work you folks are doing at GOAL?

[thinking]

The point is to reach the nons with a message that counters the bs put out by lying anti's. Otherwise theyre only hearing one side of the story.

This.

If any of you decide to write letters, make sure you consider your audience.

Your audience is not the Pro 2A crowd. We are already on your side.
Your audience is not the hardcore anti. They are a lost cause and you won't convince them.

Your audience is the nons. The people who might think some rational thoughts if only they are prompted with the right circumstances. The ones that don't own guns but believe in freedom and personal responsibility.

I did a paper submission once... Not too eager to repeat it. Then again, it was pretty provocative

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

..how does one go about submitting an op ed piece? Is there a particular type of editor or other position at a newspaper that a form would typically be submitted to?

Generally "Letters to the Editor" are solicited from the public. The barrier to being published is generally low. You can find submission information on most newspaper websites. They are usually limited to a few paragraphs.

Opinion pieces are article-length longer submissions. These generally aren't solicited from the public but you can shop it around as a contributed article. It might help to be somebody important. If it's very well written or you know the editor you might have a chance.

I would be generally surprised if any newspaper in Massachusetts published a Pro2A article, or even an article that wasn't full batshit crazy anti2A, but stranger shit has happened.

The few times I have submitted anything to the local hackrag that was longer than a letter to the editor, it became so edited and hacked up that it no longer resembled the piece I had submitted. I gave up after a few times

I’ve noticed the full court press by the print and tv media whores with the anti- 2A last week.

Which makes this upcoming event important to address .

GOAL Alert

Many Second Amendment Related Bills to Be Heard By Public Safety Committee.
On Thursday, November 16th the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security is scheduled to hear more than 40 bills that could impact your Second Amendment rights. The hearing will take place at the Massachusetts State House in Room A1, beginning at 11:00 AM.

Hey Mike (Mike works for GOAL for this who don’t know, and recently sold me a very nice Garand)...how does one go about submitting an op ed piece? Is there a particular type of editor or other position at a newspaper that a form would typically be submitted to?

I’ve personally never been involved in anything remotely political, as seems to be the story for most of us here. What do you think are some OK things to say...and are there things that shouldn’t be said at all? Namely anything that would be counterproductive to the good work you folks are doing at GOAL?

It varies from site to site, most of the time there is a link somewhere for submitting, or just use the contact us.

As to content, I would stay away from using words like "assault weapon" and "gun violence" and instead focus on two things. That you are one of the most vetted individuals in the state and shouldn't be blamed for the actions of a murderer - and that any person who is like you should have the option/choice of self defense tools.

Better idea don't read newspapers like the rest of us

Not This...

- - - Updated - - -

This....

Some papers have different rules over Op Ed vs LTE (Letters to the Editor). LTE's are usually a couple hundred words - Op Eds can be double or more in size. Each paper is different about who they let write Op Eds (media writers, ex-town officials, experts in field, etc), while LTE's are widely from residents and general public.

Go to your local papers submission / contact page to find out the allowed length / rules.

LTE's can be effective at getting a message out without having to expound on too much detail. Many local candidates use it get their message out, many resident use it to express quick opinions. It would be awesome to see pro-2A LTE's in the local paper.

Here is an example of a local Op Ed writer from the Sun Chronicle (Attleboro), try not to choke...
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/opin...cle_f273b818-1ef8-576e-a682-24d84bea5f06.html

Some papers have different rules over Op Ed vs LTE (Letters to the Editor). LTE's are usually a couple hundred words - Op Eds can be double or more in size. Each paper is different about who they let write Op Eds (media writers, ex-town officials, experts in field, etc), while LTE's are widely from residents and general public.

Go to your local papers submission / contact page to find out the allowed length / rules.

LTE's can be effective at getting a message out without having to expound on too much detail. Many local candidates use it get their message out, many resident use it to express quick opinions. It would be awesome to see pro-2A LTE's in the local paper.

Here is an example of a local Op Ed writer from the Sun Chronicle (Attleboro), try not to choke...
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/opin...cle_f273b818-1ef8-576e-a682-24d84bea5f06.html

This is the same basic letter that lit up my google alerts this morning, someone is encourage people to write/submit them.

Back
Top Bottom