• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Subcompact commute car you’d recommend.

My son recently purchased a 2015 Honda Civic. It gets very good mileage although he only has to go 5 miles one way to work.

He likes it but it is difficult for me (6', 230 lbs) to get in and out of. Once I'm in tho it is comfortable.

My 2014 Honda CRV is much easier for me and I still get over 30 mph.

Yeah of course, anything from Toyota is a great choice when it comes to reliability and dependability
Is there any chance you could please give some more specific information on the subcompact models of Toyota and Scion in regards of the reliability and dependability.
What year models to stay away from and which ones to consider.
I’d appreciate your honest input.

My son recently purchased a 2015 Honda Civic. It gets very good mileage although he only has to go 5 miles one way to work.

He likes it but it is difficult for me (6', 230 lbs) to get in and out of. Once I'm in tho it is comfortable.

My 2014 Honda CRV is much easier for me and I still get over 30 mph.
Within last year I’ve lost around 40lb.
Back to 6’2” and 195lb

Horrid reliability.

According to whom, Consumer Reports? I don't trust them - I'm sure the first few model years were bad, but the car's been out a while and has a good reputation in Europe for reliability. So I'd suspect it's the Honda fans at Consumer Reports reporting problems with the USB port.

I trust owner reports a lot more than Consumer Reports, who just love Hondas and Toyotas even though their reliability tanked years ago. My Civic has had some issues that would make me think I'm driving a Fiat, lol, like the dashboard shutting off while driving.

According to whom, Consumer Reports? I don't trust them - I'm sure the first few model years were bad, but the car's been out a while and has a good reputation in Europe for reliability. So I'd suspect it's the Honda fans at Consumer Reports reporting problems with the USB port.

I trust owner reports a lot more than Consumer Reports, who just love Hondas and Toyotas even though their reliability tanked years ago. My Civic has had some issues that would make me think I'm driving a Fiat, lol, like the dashboard shutting off while driving.
I’d have to agree in regards of Civic’s reliability - it’s a hit or miss but the question that naturally comes up is - how old is your Fiat and how many miles is on it ?
Could you point to one with over 100K miles and going strong ?

Last edited:
I’d have to agree in regards of Civic’s reliability - it’s a hit or miss but the question that naturally comes up is - how old is your Fiat and how many miles is on it ?
Could you point to one with ove 100K miles and going strong ?

I only know of one person who owns the Fiat, he loves it but haven't asked him about reliability. There are plenty in Europe going strong.

I drove two BMWs to 150k miles so reliability scare stories don't bother me.

I drove two BMWs to 150k miles so reliability scare stories don't bother me.

150K is "pretty much just well broken in" on a commuting car. It's the 100K after that where things get... interesting.

-Mike

one car that might be good would be a Fiat Abarth, if you don't need a backseat. Or your back seat will only carry a pet hamster and a satchel. It's fun, sounds awesome with straight exhaust, and goes for like $19k with 6MT.

You probably need to be immune to ridicule as well.

cc_2018fic010001_01_640_pwh.jpg
You bash the fiesta st mention but then recommend that? Which is even worse in regard to why you were bashing the ST. Lol

I didn't read through this thread, but my wife had an 08 Yaris that was bulletproof. 175,000 trouble free miles...i think i replaced one abs wheel sensor for like $40, only unplanned repair. I'd recommend one to anyone, especially an older used one... great value.

Buy this, put a few bucks in and drive the fvck out of it b16a 91 Honda Crx si

Had one, absolute blast to drive
The old Hondas from the 90's had double wishbone suspension on the front. Made them drive like on rails. In the 2000's, they switched to macpherson strut for comfort. If you want dirt cheap fun, go with those 90's Hondas.

My last commuter car was a Hyundai Accent. Best commuter car I ever owned. Had 4 Studded snows for the winter and it was great in snow / ice. I’m 6’2” 275 and it was very comfortable. I tried the Yaris, Nissan, and the Fit and the Accent was the most comfortable. Only oil and gas for 66,000 when I retired and traded it for my Tacoma. I drove without the seat all the way back, which was a first in a compact car for me. It had a 6 speed shiftonic tranny and got 34 mpg. I’d burned out on clutching in commuter traffic.
I would buy another.

That ones the opposite, drives fun but looks bad, lol. I drove an M228i, can't remember if it was this gen or last, but it was fun. Drove a 435i M Sport and it was really boring.

Lol can you quantify boring? I’ve driven a 435 and own something similar. I’d like to know which commuter car you find exciting? Auto BJ option?

Lol can you quantify boring? I’ve driven a 435 and own something similar. I’d like to know which commuter car you find exciting? Auto BJ option?

Fast, lot of grip, but numb, too quiet, no feel in steering, seats etc. Felt like a fast Camry with a stiff suspension. Haven't been a BMW fan since like 2005.

You bash the fiesta st mention but then recommend that? Which is even worse in regard to why you were bashing the ST. Lol

I love the Fiesta ST, actually test drove one. But it's too stiff for Boston potholes. That's a car I'd want to drive in the Swiss Alps.

I haven't actually driven an Abarth, though I drove a rental Fiat 5 door (which is same as the base 500) in Germany, on the Nurburgring. We got passed a lot.

Fast, lot of grip, but numb, too quiet, no feel in steering, seats etc. Felt like a fast Camry with a stiff suspension. Haven't been a BMW fan since like 2005.

Ok, I can see where you’re coming from. Fiesta! I’m too old to he that hip. ;)

The old Hondas from the 90's had double wishbone suspension on the front. Made them drive like on rails. In the 2000's, they switched to macpherson strut for comfort. If you want dirt cheap fun, go with those 90's Hondas.

BMW M cars, older ones at least, used Macpherson Struts. They worked fine. Honda was just being cheap.

Well I'm not driving one either, lol. I drive a Civic Sport hatchback. I get a car stipend for work so it's perfect (great gas mileage, cheap, and still fun).

I would drive that too. I’m not a car snob by any means. This week I’ve commuted in a Hyundai, Silverado and bmw

I'll echo the Mazda 3. Drove my 2006 for over 12 years before upgrading. Handed it to my pops when I upgraded to the CX-5 last summer.
Still runs well after >175k, with only a few bigger repairs required: the front struts were done at ~75k from hitting the same sunken manhole covers every day for a couple years, the clutch lasted 125k, and the "glass" third synchro recently gave up the ghost.

For the first couple years, I was putting 140 miles a day on her before meeting my wife and getting a house closer to work. The clutch sucked in Rt 3 traffic, but that peddle has no weight to it at all, just a dream to put to the floor.

For me, the rear brakes went quicker than the fronts (did rears 3x and fronts 1x). I would suggest a newer generation, as there are quirks with the one I had that I happened to luck out on. Plus, Mazda has introduced into the 3 the SPCCI for blending the best parts of diesel and gas.

Back
Top Bottom