• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Subcompact commute car you’d recommend.

Yummy..
But more realistic, I'd go Honda Fit. Never driven one but they seem "roomy" for throwing crap in there (ie. my hockey bag or crap at Home Depot) and likely get good MPG.

They are very roomy. Fuel economy is decent, but not at hybrid levels. Gearing is low so it is said to be a bit noisy on the highway. Great city car, but not what I would want to put up with on a long commute. YMMV.

This.

My 15 mile commute takes about an hour each way on a good day. It took 2 hours to get home last night. I used to drive fun cars. But there is nothing fun about stop-and-go on the Mass Pike in rush hour. What is important to me is that my vehicle be quiet, comfortable, and reliable.

If I had space in the driveway, I’d have a commuter car like a Camry Hybrid in addition to my Land Cruiser.
A friend of mine has a Chevrolet Volt and uses so little gas theengine comes on as a maintenance cycle. 40-50 mile battery range and a lot of garages have charge stations.

He’s on his original brakes at 76,000 miles due to regenerative braking.

It’s the RAV4 v6 for now is what I drive but I could barely open the door in the the tiny parking spot and really exhale to squeeze in and out from the car and that’s without the snow bank factor.

Ugh. Not sure how much more narrow a Corolla is.

In 2012, I bought an off-lease 2009 Nissan Versa Hatch w/ 30k miles on it for about $10k. I have over 70k miles on it now, haven't done anything to it except Oil Changes and snow tires. I did have that Airbag recall done and they replaced the front springs for another recall. Otherwise, it's a great commuter, cheap on gas, I can fit two carseats for the kids in the backseat, insurance is also cheap ...

In 2012, I bought an off-lease 2009 Nissan Versa Hatch w/ 30k miles on it for about $10k. I have over 70k miles on it now, haven't done anything to it except Oil Changes and snow tires. I did have that Airbag recall done and they replaced the front springs for another recall. Otherwise, it's a great commuter, cheap on gas, I can fit two carseats for the kids in the backseat, insurance is also cheap ...
Purchased the second one for our daughter - she did totaled the first one)
That one is a contender as well.

I would love to hear from NES grease monkeys though on this topic)))
No pon intended as I enjoy wrenching myself.

If you get a corolla get one of the trims with 4 wheel disc, if you can swing it. I have an irrational hatred of drum brakes, at least in passenger cars. It'll make doing your own brake jobs a lot faster.

-Mike

If you get a corolla get one of the trims with 4 wheel disc, if you can swing it. I have an irrational hatred of drum brakes, at least in passenger cars. It'll make doing your own brake jobs a lot faster.

-Mike
word, I've got a 10 year old XLE. They cheaped out with the rears and put in drums. I HATE drum brakes, they suck performance wise and I can't stand dealing with 6 or so springs to change the dam things (not including the E brake which I didn't even bother with)..

-Mike
The one we got for my wife is XSE - we’re on the same page in regards of the disc breaks.

Ive got everything you can think of, corolla's, yaris, corolla hatchback. plus all sorts of small used cars as well
I appreciate the inventory update - good to know.
But do you know which models are the most dependable and reliable from the subcompact category - that was my question.

one car that might be good would be a Fiat Abarth, if you don't need a backseat. Or your back seat will only carry a pet hamster and a satchel. It's fun, sounds awesome with straight exhaust, and goes for like $19k with 6MT.

You probably need to be immune to ridicule as well.

cc_2018fic010001_01_640_pwh.jpg

I had a 08 or 09 Nissan Versa Hatch that went 150K with nothing but tires and brakes. My wife and daughter drove it mostly. It did not have a CVT. I also sold it for 2K with 155K on it and needing ball joints, which I thought was great! 35+ mpg. We drove it everywhere when we just needed a commuter car and not room.

My MIL 2013 Elantra's engine blew up at 70K. I will say it happened when last year we got an artic surge and the morning it let go was nearly -20. So there's that...but still. They would not cover it, as it was a used car with 15K on it when she bought it. She had to pay 2500 for a new/used engine. I also did all 4 brakes on it rather early at 60K. Then annoyingly the back calipers shxt right after that, and I had to do the rears again, and of course the calipers. I'd stay away from the Elantra......though, for a small car, it is somewhat roomy and rides OK.

Last edited:
I had a Nissan Versa that went 150K with nothing but tires and brakes. It did need ball joints when I sold it. It did not have a CVT. I also sold it for 2K with 155K on it and needing ball joints, which I thought was great!

My MIL 2013 Elantra's engine blew up at 70K. I will say it happened when last year we got an artic surge and the morning it let go was nearly -20. So there's that...but still. They would not cover it, as it was a used car with 15K on it when she bought it. She had to pay 2500 for a new/used engine. I also did all 4 brakes on it rather early at 60K. Then annoyingly the back calipers shxt right after that, and I had to do the rears again, and of course the calipers. I'd stay away from the Elantra......though, for a small car, it is somewhat roomy and rides OK. It sucks in the snow, too light. But any small car usually does.
Good to know.
Thanks.

one car that might be good would be a Fiat Abarth, if you don't need a backseat. Or your back seat will only carry a pet hamster and a satchel. It's fun, sounds awesome with straight exhaust, and goes for like $19k with 6MT.

That’s one of the most unreliable cars.

Horrid reliability.

I'd be careful of used hyundai's... My mother has a 2015 (IIRC) that has had both front coil springs break on her. First one busted her driver side tire as the dealership was pulling it into the bays. Second one didn't puncture the tire, but I think she caught it soon enough. They had a recall on a different model year due to using the wrong alloy for cold weather cars. Going cheap on the alloy for such an important component, IMO, speaks volumes about the way they spec out things. Save 10 cents per coil spring, but it has the potential to cost people their lives. Basically, if she had been going down the highway when it busted the tire, she'd probably not be around now. Or it would have involved a long recovery.

BTW, the dealer didn't replace both front tires when the one was destroyed (punctured the sidewall) since the manufacturer wouldn't allow it. IME, you at least replace tires in pairs so that they wear the same. The tires she had were enough miles in that they don't match.

These days BMWs drive pretty boring. They do look nice.
The issue is that all the German companies have created cheaped out garbage entry level to get people into them.
BMW has the X1, X3, 1 series (not the M). Audi has the A3 which has taken over for the A4 in terms of popularity (A4 used to be entry level with A6 after, now the A4 is considered higher endish). Mercedes has multiple versions of the crap 'C' class. Again, they all shed their exclusiveness to gain market share.
To get the real feel of one hop into an M series BMW, S Series Audi, or S-class Benz.

I'd be careful of used hyundai's... My mother has a 2015 (IIRC) that has had both front coil springs break on her. First one busted her driver side tire as the dealership was pulling it into the bays. Second one didn't puncture the tire, but I think she caught it soon enough. They had a recall on a different model year due to using the wrong alloy for cold weather cars. Going cheap on the alloy for such an important component, IMO, speaks volumes about the way they spec out things. Save 10 cents per coil spring, but it has the potential to cost people their lives. Basically, if she had been going down the highway when it busted the tire, she'd probably not be around now. Or it would have involved a long recovery.

BTW, the dealer didn't replace both front tires when the one was destroyed (punctured the sidewall) since the manufacturer wouldn't allow it. IME, you at least replace tires in pairs so that they wear the same. The tires she had were enough miles in that they don't match.

I think they had a sweet spot for a while and were decent....a few guys at work here were driving some older Elantras and getting a shxt ton of miles out of them. I think Hyundai/Kia is really retrograding on at least the car line, and cheapening things out.

There are however, a metric shxt ton of their SUV's out there and I havent heard a lot of bad things....

The issue is that all the German companies have created cheaped out garbage entry level to get people into them.
BMW has the X1, X3, 1 series (not the M). Audi has the A3 which has taken over for the A4 in terms of popularity (A4 used to be entry level with A6 after, now the A4 is considered higher endish). Mercedes has multiple versions of the crap 'C' class. Again, they all shed their exclusiveness to gain market share.
To get the real feel of one hop into an M series BMW, S Series Audi, or S-class Benz.

This...big time. I know people who have been enamored by the price of a 15-20K lightly used C class and it rides like a POS. Then these are the same people that buy it are used to buying chevy's and fords, and look at the price of an oil change or brakes and nearly shxt themselves.

I would personally stay away from Versas. Good to see a few success stories but I've seen several where the muffler has rotted off at low miles.

As far as disk vs drum rears, most compact cars with drums can go 100-150k without needing replacement unless something breaks. That said, I also prefer to buy cars with 4 wheel disks.

Back
Top Bottom