• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sub Adults: 18-20

I can't seem to find anywhere in the laws where it sates that it is illegal for a citizen aged 18-20 to possess a handgun. I have found that it s illegal to "sell" to a person 18-20. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

I understand one must be 21 to acquire a permit to carry 11-47-11
One cannot "sell" to a person under 21, 11-47-37
I am sure I’m missing something about blue cards and purchasing handgun s too.
Jim

Am I missing something?? In Mass (presumably where you are) in general you can not possess without a ltc. To get a LTC you need to be 21. I am operating on 1/2 cup of coffee this morning, but what is the confusion?

Dave

Am I missing something?? In Mass (presumably where you are) in general you can not possess without a ltc. To get a LTC you need to be 21. I am operating on 1/2 cup of coffee this morning, but what is the confusion?

Dave

Yup, he mentioned "blue cards" as a clue . . . and posted in the RI forum. [wink]

if you're under 21, and want to posess a handgun, there's a special ID that you need.

Dogtags.

Not only does this let you have a handgun; you also get to play with FA, destructive devices, etc., and get free international travel.

'course, that's only "on the job" and you still can't have a beer.....

Yup, he mentioned "blue cards" as a clue . . . and posted in the RI forum. [wink]
If it's not in MA, it doesn't exist. I learned that on this forum.

Anyway, back to the OP's question...

Here are the possession laws as interpreted by nraila.org:

POSSESSION
There are no state licensing requirements for the possession of rifles, shotguns, and handguns by adults. It is unlawful for a minor under the age of 18 to possess and use any firearm or ammunition, unless he has a firearm permit and is at an approved rifle range or camp and is in the presence of a qualified adult.

ETA: Blue cards are only needed for purchase, not possession.

Bingo LenS.

I am a MA resident, but I work (and grew up) in RI, and have a RI LTC. I'm also an NRA instructor and do a lot of classes in MA. I just did one in RI, though, my first since they are not required for possession of a firearm in RI. I have to do a component on MA law to meet MA's requirements, and thought it would be a good idea to do the same for this RI class. I had a question on possession by a "subadult," and couldn't answer it. I know one must be 21 to acquire a RI permit, and believe to purchase as well. But, I couldn't find anywhere in the statutes that it stated it was expressly prohibited for a subadult to posses a handgun. I'll go back thorough and read the laws carefully, page by page. I was hoping someone might be familiar with the specific section of RI law, where they could perhaps quickly quote the section number.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Rob Boudrie is probably one of the most knowledgeable Non-RI residents on here wrt RI gun laws. Ping him and perhaps he can answer that question for you.

You guys are going nuts trying to prove the negative. Here's the relevant statute prohibiting possession by a minor (under 18). That means over 18 is OK. This is the same info I posted in summary form in post #6 if you are following along.

The except below is directly from the statute.

§ 11-47-33 Possession of firearms by minors. – (a) It shall be unlawful within this state for any person under eighteen (18) years of age to possess and use any firearm unless he or she shall hold a permit as provided in § 11-47-34, and unless the person is in the presence of a parent or guardian or supervising adult at any regular and21
recognized camp or rifle range approved by the Rhode Island state police or by the chief of police of the city or town in which the camp or rifle range is located and provided further that this provision shall not apply to minors engaged in lawful hunting activity under the supervision of a parent or guardian or qualified adult, minors participating in Reserve Officer Training Corps programs, ceremonial parade activities, competitive and target shooting, participants in state militia activities and minors participating in a basic firearms education program, and provided, further, however, that a person under eighteen (18) years of age may carry a firearm, unloaded, in a suitable case to and from his or her home and the camp or range and from the camp or range to other camp or range when accompanied by a parent, guardian or supervising adult. (b) For purposes of this section only, the term "qualified adult" shall mean any person twenty-one (21) years of age or older and permitted by law to possess and use said firearm.

Thanks. I was familiar with 11-47-33. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something where 18-20 year olds are concerned. It seems the state made a point of preventing them from buying handguns, but not to own them. Goofy oversight but I don't want to provide false information. It's weird one could break a law by transfering handgun to an 18-20 year old, but the 18-20 year old that receives and possesses the handgun is not breaking a law.

Thanks. I was familiar with 11-47-33. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something where 18-20 year olds are concerned. It seems the state made a point of preventing them from buying handguns, but not to own them. Goofy oversight but I don't want to provide false information. It's weird one could break a law by transfering handgun to an 18-20 year old, but the 18-20 year old that receives and possesses the handgun is not breaking a law.

Yes, I think you have the correct understanding. But remember, IANAL, and my advice is worth what you paid for it. [wink]

Also, RI does not allow anyone, regardless of age, to "possess" a handgun outside of your own property, with a few specific exceptions (range, gunsmith, etc) unless you have a CCW.

ETA: I think it is OK to give or do a private sale to 18-20 yr old, but I have not studied that part of the firearms act, so I'm on shaky ground with that advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom