• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suarez International - Defensive Pistol Skills (a students review)

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend my very first training class. I know, I know, what the hell was I thinking. I’ve had my LTC for a couple of years now, and I carry a gun daily, why is this the first class I have taken? I’ll tell you why. First and foremost I was a bit worried. I was worried that I would be the worst shooter in the bunch, and I would drag the class down. I was worried that I would make a fool of myself in front of strangers. I was also worried that any money that training would have cost me could be better spent on other things. Maybe a nice new gun, maybe that ultra cool tactical flashlight that I have had my eye on, or maybe just a bunch more ammo or reloading supplies so I could practice more, and get better on my own. Also, what if I spent money on a class, and everything they were teaching I had already read somewhere before.

At about the 30 minute mark after the class began on the first day; all my fears were put to rest. As the class introduction and safety briefing had concluded I had already learned a few things that I thought I already knew. From that point on, even before we even set foot out onto the range I was hooked. All 3 of the top notch trainers took active roles in the training (though we did kid with one about being Jim’s lovely assistant). One instructor would explain something, and then another would demonstrate for us. We were shown multiple ways to achieve results, and told to practice both, and use the one we were most comfortable with. The instructors would interject wisdom and experience when they thought it was applicable and hearing and seeing multiple approaches to the same tactic was extremely beneficial.

From safe gun handling, and the fundamentals of shooting, to basic marksmanship, firearm presentation, shooting on the move, one handed shooting, weak hand shooting, and engaging multiple targets. All performed in a safe manner, this class had it all.

Our class was continually ahead of schedule. That gave the instructors extra opportunity to teach outside the course curriculum, and they took every bit of extra time we had to make sure we got the most bang for our buck. Though that meant that I ended up getting shot multiple times with an airsoft gun helping to demonstrate a drill, it was worth every welt and bruise!

The instructors kept telling us that us being so far ahead of schedule was a tribute to our learning ability. I will counter that, and say that without the great training techniques of our 3 instructors, we would have never been able to be so far ahead, and got all the extra training and information. To our 3 instructors, Jim Conway, Mike Nastek, and Doug Robinson I would like to give my sincere thanks. I went into this class with some apprehension, but came out of this class a much better shooter, and much more confident in my ability to react to situations.

As a testament to how well of a job NEShooters training is, after this first class that I went in with some apprehension, I am now looking forward to my next training class, and will continue to use NEShooters for my training needs.

Thanks a million.
Adam

Adam
Thank you for the kind words. I am glad the you touched on the subject of your worries. While not mentioned in the survey that we ran on reasons not to train, I was always sure that it was one of the reasons. I appreciate your discretion in not revealing the identity of my "lovely assistant". I am equally sure that my "lovely assistant" appreciates it also. He will never live it down.
I was surprised that you did not mention your role as "The Spoiler". We did have our lighter moments.

Adam,

I Thank You for your time and envolvement in this course. The attitude that you and the other students came with was great. All had open minds and a quest for knowledge. It was a privledge assisting you and your teammates in fullfilling your quest.

And for all inquiring I am not the person noted as Jim's Lovely assistant it is another, But I am the perp that landed some airsoft hits on Adam.

MP1911

MP1911 is one of my early success stories. I clearly remember his first briefing on handgun techniques and maniulations, before his first trip with me to Front Sight. Before he started training, he shot a lot, would have had a hard time hitting the side of a barn from the inside. It is truely amazing to watch MP1911 shoot now. MP1911 is a gifted shooter, a fine instructor and a friend. As for his protests that he is not my "Lovely Assistant", I have no comment and neither confirm nor deny the truth of his allegation.

Mike and I co-founded Neshooters and I fully appreciate all of his hard work. I could not have done ot without him.

Back
Top Bottom