Stupid things gun counter clerks say

Guy in the town to the East of me wouldn't sell me a 9 round pump gun. Not his fault, Mass laws and all. Guy in the town to the West had it for the end of the week.

Buying .22 ammo at Walmart in Ware, MA.

Me: I'll take 5 boxes of the CCI .22 Standard Velocity.

Clerk: Handgun or Rifle?

Me: Excuse me?

Clerk: They want us to ask if it's for a handgun or rifle.

Me: Well the box says .22 Long Rifle so I'll go with a really long rifle.[rolleyes]

Welcome to my pet peeve.

The system (register) requires them to enter a response to the question: "For for a Handgun <y/n>" (You can see it on the screen). If yes, you must be 21 to purchase it. Federal law. I get that. And if they say "Is this for a handgun?" I politely say yes or no, depending.

It's when they go off the reservation and ask "Is this for a rifle or handgun," which the register does not ask, that I get prickly, and answer stuff like "Submachine gun" or some such.

Hey, Cash Register Monkey. Read the screen. Don't ad lib.

Guy sounds dumb, but you actually got that far into the convo with him? How did it start? [rofl] Did you say something like "oh, I would, but that's a little steep".
etc.

Although it would have been funny if you just said to the guy "You would buy it from me for 27 bucks? That's not a very good fiscal policy for someone running a
gun shop.... hell that's probably a very good reason why this box of ammo is $27 to begin with. "

-Mike

I. told him that I had found a new, .38 ammo that was pretty effective in gel tests. He had never heard of it. He looked up his cost on the ammo and said his cost was $17.99. I said are you sure, because I just bought it on rebate for $9.99 a box.

You just about have to live in Mass and take a weekly search for gun law changes for each and every little "burg" and county and state. I don't know how you all do it. It could be taught as a semester class at the local CC.
Real gun laws don't change very often in MA. Interpretations by rabid AGs, dealers, and cops can change as often as they change their underwear.

I teach a 6-7 hr seminar on the nuances of Mass gun laws, so they certainly aren't trivial or obvious to most folks.

Guy in the town to the East of me wouldn't sell me a 9 round pump gun. Not his fault, Mass laws and all. Guy in the town to the West had it for the end of the week.
Well, black letter of the law . . . the first dealer is correct.

EOPS re-interpretation of that law . . . the second dealer was correct.

You just about have to live in Mass and take a weekly search for gun law changes for each and every little "burg" and county and state. I don't know how you all do it. It could be taught as a semester class at the local CC.
It's actually simple. Everything is illegal in Mass. You just game the system to have what you want. Jack.

Not a clerk, but a few years ago I was standing in line behind an Asian girl in Four Seasons. I ask what she's there for, and she says a shotgun. Then this fat middle aged white guy turns around and says "Oh, does your family own a convenience store?" Girl looks at him like he has four heads and tells him she's looking at skeet and home defense options.

It's fun when Tennessee gun shop owners try and debate MA firearms laws. Like the guy that told me 20 & 30 round mags are illegal in MA regardless of manufacture date, and all glock are illegal because they accept hi-cap mags. I thought his head was going to explode when I told him I had a 75 round drum for my WASR.

Welcome to my pet peeve.

The system (register) requires them to enter a response to the question: "For for a Handgun <y/n>" (You can see it on the screen). If yes, you must be 21 to purchase it. Federal law. I get that. And if they say "Is this for a handgun?" I politely say yes or no, depending.

It's when they go off the reservation and ask "Is this for a rifle or handgun," which the register does not ask, that I get prickly, and answer stuff like "Submachine gun" or some such.

Hey, Cash Register Monkey. Read the screen. Don't ad lib.
Is "firearm" an acceptable response?

Not a clerk, but a few years ago I was standing in line behind an Asian girl in Four Seasons. I ask what she's there for, and she says a shotgun. Then this fat middle aged white guy turns around and says "Oh, does your family own a convenience store?" Girl looks at him like he has four heads and tells him she's looking at skeet and home defense options.
Obviously this guy doesn't know Asians own the nail shops. Indians own stores.

View: https://youtu.be/AEG1wuoa2hs

Real gun laws don't change very often in MA.

Well they do change, slowly and constantly. I can remember the early 70's when you needed to show a LTC for pistol ammo and an FID for rifle ammo. In addition to that the FFL had to fill out an AMMO form, similar to the old carbon copy state gun transfer form.

Last edited:
Buying .22 ammo at Walmart in Ware, MA.

Me: I'll take 5 boxes of the CCI .22 Standard Velocity.

Clerk: Handgun or Rifle?

Me: Excuse me?

Clerk: They want us to ask if it's for a handgun or rifle.

Me: Well the box says .22 Long Rifle so I'll go with a really long rifle.[rolleyes]
You should have said 'neither, I give them to the kids to throw in the fireplace'

Cringy sales tactics, whether for cars or guns, really annoy me. Don't know where I've heard dumber sales comments, gun shops or dealerships....

I had to explain to the sales guy selling me my car the benefit of a LSD, one of the biggest selling points for the trim I was looking at....guy had no idea the option existed. I've also had to explain to a gun shop salesman that, to his disappointment, I don't find his 9mm M&P comfortable and disagree that it's the "greatest gun of all time"....he looked at me like I punched a nun.

I also had the Beretta 92 pushed on me hard for my first pistol purchase even though I had a real tough time reaching the trigger. Luckily I waited and tried out a few guns before buying my Sig but, looking back, the Beretta was the worst option of all for my hand lol

I still say that the most all around stupid experience I've had in a gun shop was when I tried to go pick up my SKS at the goose hummock. I wont go into it here because theres a whole thread on that situation, but God damn, that shit was retarded. Nothing since or before tops it.

Back
Top Bottom