• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid things gun counter clerks say

Totally off point . Shooters claimed it was NH law.When called out on their absolute BULLSH** they fall back on "its an ATF law". Again BULLSH**!'There is enough BS in their two weak lies that I will never do business there again.If you want to invent a scenario that didnt happen to justify your excuse for SO lies thats on you.

Not BS. The person who resides in MA and goes to NH has every right to buy ammo. NH law applies to things and people in NH. When that person then crosses back to MA, they are now illegally possessing ammo in the commiewealth. And the ATF, if that person commits an act of violence with a gun, finds out the person was sold ammo from a NH FFL will be up their orifices and in their crevices with a serious magnifier.

Totally off point . Shooters claimed it was NH law.When called out on their absolute BULLSH** they fall back on "its an ATF law". Again BULLSH**!'There is enough BS in their two weak lies that I will never do business there again.If you want to invent a scenario that didnt happen to justify your excuse for SO lies thats on you.

Think and do what you want but I can tell you that when this became an issue, I had a discussion with Jim FTF at SO and he explained it to me and at no time did he pretend that it was any law or regulation, merely his policy after a mean encounter. He never mentioned BATFE crawling up his ass, but I wouldn't put it past the MA AG to do so and that too is uncomfortable and cost $$$ legal fees to tell her to FOAD.

What clerks say in any business isn't always what the owner/boss tells them and the temptation to make up that lie must be great when you are faced with irate potential customers.

Think and do what you want but I can tell you that when this became an issue, I had a discussion with Jim FTF at SO and he explained it to me and at no time did he pretend that it was any law or regulation, merely his policy after a mean encounter. He never mentioned BATFE crawling up his ass, but I wouldn't put it past the MA AG to do so and that too is uncomfortable and cost $$$ legal fees to tell her to FOAD.

What clerks say in any business isn't always what the owner/boss tells them and the temptation to make up that lie must be great when you are faced with irate potential customers.
I've always liked SO. The girls at the counter are friendly and easy on the eyes. If I need ammo I go down the street.

One of the finest 9mm semiauto handguns of its time? Yeah, buying it was a bad choice.

Zs1FD1j.jpg

Still have two, and carried one of them for many moons.
Not a damn thing wrong with them.
Unless never having one jam and being able to hit what I aim at with it is a problem.

Overlooking and not quite understanding "Mark's abused child defense" let me give you a brief history of the M39. I certainly wasn't disrespectful to you but in your latest post you have some incorrect information. Rather than drop it, you decided to carry the "joke" on and your pathetic sense of humor backfired and I became a convenient target. Now you are apparently are miffed and rather than just let the matter drop, have decided to not only make me the focus of your ire but perpetrate your lack of knowledge about this pistol.

First, the DA/SA trigger system is not good. But then neither was the Walther P38's of which it was a direct copy. That is one of the cons. You either adapt and overcome to it or you don't. You couldn't, fair enough.

Second the ISP didn't drop the gun as soon as it could. Nothing could be farther from the truth. That's poor or non existent research on your part. Sgt. Louis Seamans was tasked by the ISP to find one gun that could be carried 24 hours a day because at the time ISP Troopers had to be armed 24 hours a day on and off duty. After testing all the guns of the day, he chose the M39 which had been commercially available since the middle 1950's. Concurrent with this, the ISP adopted a 100 grain Winchester PowerPoint. Once issued, one of the biggest problems was feeding and broken extractors. This brought about improved extractors and feed ramp and the 39-2 and in turn further refinements in the trigger and a firing pin retention as well as other improvements in the Second Generation as well as materials: 439 aluminum frame, 538 steel frame, and 639 stainless frame. From this evolved the famous Third Gen Guns. At each juncture the ISP used S&W metal pistols until they got swept up in the polymer striker fired craze and finally switched to Glocks only a few years ago. An offshoot of the M39 was the M59 which originally a Navy project and was the first wundernine.

With regard to the mag safety, it is a controversial feature. Disconnect a safety device? Experts say no from a litigation standpoint. One prolific pundit here says it doesn't matter. Massad Ayoob has documented cases where ISP Troopers and other LEOs disconnected their mags during a gun grab with a perp rendering the gun inert thus allowing them to prevail.

Now as you can probably tell I collect M39s. The only pistol I seriously collect and there are enough variations to make them interesting.

Without appearing to be unkind or disrespectful and to get this thread back on track we might all pause to reflect that misinformation and ignorance is just as rampant among gun owners as gun sellers and today's customer might be tomorrow's clerk.

Now the M39 has its detractors and if it is not the pistol for you Scott I get it, but if you are all butt hurt since you mentioned me by name, kindly take it off the boards and PM me. Thank you.

So what I want to know (since you collect 39's) is if you have an ASP or a Devel.

So what I want to know (since you collect 39's) is if you have an ASP or a Devel.

Only in my dreams but if I buy the lottery I will endeavor to obtain one and I'll even let you shoot it. I'd also like to have one of the original metal frame 39s (not 539) released @ 1956_57 as I recall, only about 1100 made. Why S&W didn't do a single stack version of the 469 is beyond me. Closest was the 3913/14 which were sweet little guns.

Only in my dreams but if I buy the lottery I will endeavor to obtain one and I'll even let you shoot it. I'd also like to have one of the original metal frame 39s (not 539) released @ 1956_57 as I recall, only about 1100 made. Why S&W didn't do a single stack version of the 469 is beyond me. Closest was the 3913/14 which were sweet little guns.

I own a 3914. Great shooter but the sights leave a bit to be desired.

The most incredible 39-series gun I've seen was a sample suppressed 39 that S&W sent to the military back in the 60s (maybe 50s?). It had everything including the suppressor, gun, manual and original presentation box. It was up for auction about 5 years ago or so.

Not sure what it ended up being sold for but I assume it was big bucks.

Noah's ark was old technology. The titanic was a modern design. Think about it.

Heehee. I had an original old Trapdoor Springfield 50-70 with me at Monadnock. If I were to believe the things said about modern being better, then this rifle would be totally harmless. It's a rebuilt 1863 Springfield .58 caliber muzzleloader, like using in the Civil War. It was rebuilt in 1866, 1868, 1869 or 1870.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50-70_Government

Just because something got old, doesn't mean it's any less deadly. A longbow with bodkin points still kills at 400 yards.

Not BS. The person who resides in MA and goes to NH has every right to buy ammo. NH law applies to things and people in NH. When that person then crosses back to MA, they are now illegally possessing ammo in the commiewealth. And the ATF, if that person commits an act of violence with a gun, finds out the person was sold ammo from a NH FFL will be up their orifices and in their crevices with a serious magnifier.

And, ammo is a long arm? Kind of taking those first 2 quotes out of context, aren't you?

Besides, I forgot to redo that thread to mention that under certain circumstances, you can do it, most times you can't, I did post words to that effect a few posts later.

I agree, and ergo the thread name "stupid things gun counter clerks say".

I don't knock the company for not doing business that may come back to haunt them. I do that myself.

But, I make good and sure to tell them it's my policy, not hide behind some fictitious law that doesn't exist. I respect the policy part, that's his right. The fictitious law bit tells me they're either dishonest or inept. Either way, I go elsewhere, usually.

A bad counter clerk can kill a business. I've seen that happen up here, a clerk that got mad at a customer and started arguing with him, for not wanting to even look at a new shotgun. He even told the clerk ahead of time he was only interested in seeing used shotguns, as he could get a new one wholesale.

The customer then was me. The clerk was knowledgeable, but was also a total ***. The owner and I had words later. He also lost a customer, and a supplier over it.

I was in a newly opened gun shop in Bristol talking to the owner who was telling me how he had run a shop before in Plainville when a guy walked by in front of the store. The owner exclaimed "Oh good there he is."

The guy handed the store owner a bag and he took out a revolver and aimed it out the window and started to pull the hammer back.

I asked: "Are you going to see if it's loaded first?"

He said: "Don't slam the door on your way out."

I will never go near there again.

Went into a (now closed) gun shop when i first got my ltc. I wanted my first gun to be a 38spl snubby. What i was in the market for was a 357mag snubby so i had the option to shoot the magnum if i wanted. I felt i didnt need to explain myself to the clerk. When i asked to see the sweet black 357 s&w under the glass he proceeded to tell me that was the wrong gun for me and I'd hate shooting it. He continued to push me towards a hammerless lightweight model. F them. I spent my 600 at four seasons instead.

Went into a (now closed) gun shop when i first got my ltc. I wanted my first gun to be a 38spl snubby. What i was in the market for was a 357mag snubby so i had the option to shoot the magnum if i wanted. I felt i didnt need to explain myself to the clerk. When i asked to see the sweet black 357 s&w under the glass he proceeded to tell me that was the wrong gun for me and I'd hate shooting it. He continued to push me towards a hammerless lightweight model. F them. I spent my 600 at four seasons instead.

It's probably because it was some consignment gun he was eyeing for himself. I've seen that "game" before, although never had it pulled on
me personally.

-Mike

Went to Granite State Range the other day to try out the new Henry 44mag. They check for steel core ammo. Visual check, magnet, etc. My box of "smokeless" ammo gave the guy pause. He read the box front to back, checked with another guy, they huddled for a couple of minutes, he came back. "Never seen 'smokeless' stuff before, had to be sure".

Meh, millennials...

20190131_142758.jpg

Last edited:
Thread revival.

Here's a good one: clerk claims a blown-up Model 15 was the result of someone accidentally stuffing in a .357 cartridge in self defense.

Thread revival.

Here's a good one: clerk claims a blown-up Model 15 was the result of someone accidentally stuffing in a .357 cartridge in self defense.

forget the pawn shop, how about the idiot self proclaimed avid gun enthusiast author spreading the BS? 357 in a smith 38? c'mon man

forget the pawn shop, how about the idiot self proclaimed avid gun enthusiast author spreading the BS? 357 in a smith 38? c'mon man
Apparently I don't have the correct size hammer to make a 357 fit into a 38 revolver, and close the cylinder!!

Maybe someone tried reloading with black powder, with a squib in the barrel?? crazy.

I had a local gun shop tell me that I should buy my ammo from him for $27.00 a box, rather than buy the same exact ammo from Target Sports, on rebate, for $9.0 a box.
As if he would pay me $ 27.00 a box, if the tables were turned.

I had a local gun shop tell me that I should buy my ammo from him for $27.00 a box, rather than buy the same exact ammo from Target Sports, on rebate, for $9.0 a box.

Guy sounds dumb, but you actually got that far into the convo with him? How did it start? [rofl] Did you say something like "oh, I would, but that's a little steep".
etc.

Although it would have been funny if you just said to the guy "You would buy it from me for 27 bucks? That's not a very good fiscal policy for someone running a
gun shop.... hell that's probably a very good reason why this box of ammo is $27 to begin with. "

-Mike

And he's probably getting it from TS for 9.00 and reselling it for 27.00...........

Buying .22 ammo at Walmart in Ware, MA.

Me: I'll take 5 boxes of the CCI .22 Standard Velocity.

Clerk: Handgun or Rifle?

Me: Excuse me?

Clerk: They want us to ask if it's for a handgun or rifle.

Me: Well the box says .22 Long Rifle so I'll go with a really long rifle.[rolleyes]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom