Stupid things gun counter clerks say

The other day I had a clerk tell me most people on NES don't know what they are talking about. Then I asked him if he ever comes across pre ban P226 mags and he says "there are pre bans for that? I didn't know it was that old"

He's an anti and supposedly out of business now... so he won't be doing much negotiating. [rofl]

-Mike

The Ware gun shop guy is the POS who writes anti gun pieces for Huffington post. I've never been, and never will go there but he's a LTC instructor too I believe.

A few months ago in R&R in Belchertown, MA...

Clerk: Can I help you find something.
Me: I'm in the market for a particular shotgun but don't see one here.
Clerk: Which one?
Me: Mossberg 590 A1, 20" barrel, the one with a bayonet lug.
Clerk: Bayonet lugs are illegal in MA.
Me: No, there not. Have a nice day.

Went to a well known LGS, looking to buy a Ruger SR45 in black.

They have the gun with the stainless slide.

I ask "Can you get this gun in all black?"

Clerk: "No, the black one is illegal in Mass."

I left and bought it at their competitors store.

Sports Authority in Braintree years ago.

Can I get a couple boxes of the 9mm Winchester JHP?

"why do you need JHP?"

so I can put it in my gun and shoot with it.

"but that's a police round."

do you know anything about guns?

"I just don't know why you need it."

For shooting.

"but its a police round."

This back and forth went on for one more round until his manager came over and gave me the JHPs.

Sports Authority in Braintree years ago.

Can I get a couple boxes of the 9mm Winchester JHP?

"why do you need JHP?"

so I can put it in my gun and shoot with it.

"but that's a police round."

do you know anything about guns?

"I just don't know why you need it."

For shooting.

"but its a police round."

This back and forth went on for one more round until his manager came over and gave me the JHPs.

the sad thing is, you might get the same response from a LGS [shocked]

Hmm, maybe the bastard survived the audit then? Who knows. For awhile his shop was closed or something recently, and the report here was because of fed issues.

-Mike

He had 12 of the ICCS M22 pistols come up missing in the audit. Not sure how you survive that.

An ar15's bolt needs to be locked back to insert a loaded magazine
Yes in some cases. I have 5 round mags for hunting for my AR in 6.8 SPC. If I have a round in the chamber, the loaded mag won't latch in. That would make it 6 rounds in the gun, and Fish and Game in NH and Maine would frown on this. The alternative would be to insert the mag with 4 rounds, chamber one, remove the mag and add another round to it to make it a total of 5 in the gun. Jack.

My top three favorites:

"Dah millutary is gonna go back to the .45!!!! cuz "knockdown power" They just announced it...."
"Dah millutary is going to get rid of the .223 cuz "knockdown power" just heard it..."
"Dah millutary is going to get rid of the M4/M16 cuz "it jams too much" they just said they're testing the XYZ-Flugenploffer-8... rifle and it is FAR SUPERIAR!!!"

I wish Lex Luthor would just appear whenever some gun shop guy said any of these things...

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in October, I went into a store to do a transfer from a fellow NES'er who'd used all 4 transfers, and I hear this:

"If you get into a self-defense shooting, they're going to charge you with murder. And you won't win if you used a non-compliant handgun."

Yes in some cases. I have 5 round mags for hunting for my AR in 6.8 SPC. If I have a round in the chamber, the loaded mag won't latch in. That would make it 6 rounds in the gun, and Fish and Game in NH and Maine would frown on this. The alternative would be to insert the mag with 4 rounds, chamber one, remove the mag and add another round to it to make it a total of 5 in the gun. Jack.
It was an m&p sport that he was showing the customer

Oh, had a good one the other week: was having a conversation about licensing in MA, and I explained the steps I went through to get my machine gun license:

Clerk: "Those aren't real"
Me: "..... What?"
Clerk: "Machine gun licenses, they're not real. Just a myth. Mass would NEVER give out something like that"
Me: *take out MGL, slap it on counter*
"Here ya go"
Clerk: *inspects card closely*
"What kind of ****ty printer did you make THIS THING on?? The photo is blurry, the Commonwealth logo looks like crap, the fingerprint is a blob. Maybe this'll fool amateurs, but don't peddle this BS in here. No one has machine guns in MA, they're illegal"

Doesn't EVERYONE'S FID/LTC look like crap? You really, honestly can't fix stupid.

The sad part is, this is in a GS !

Talking about newer gen 3+ glocks with a clerk.

clerk "You have the 10 round mags"
me "Yes but my prebans will work just fine in it"
clerk "You cannot use prebans in that. You cannot use preban magazines in a postban gun. You will then have an illegal firearm."
Me "Oh really..."

Some times you just don't want to hurt peoples feelings, especially when you are working on a negotiation.
Funny thing is I was told the same thing. Just said thank you, walked out and found a nice Glock 19 Gen 2 with pre ban mags somewhere else.

Ive been on the hunt for Pre Ban S&W Sigma mags, so I stopped in a local shop yesterday.

Me: Do you have any pre ban mags, specifically Sigma 9?

GS: No there are no Pre Bans for that Gun

Me:What? you sure about that?

GS: Yes they were not made before 98

Me:Actually there are and they were first made in 94, Ive found Pre ban 40, but im looking for 9

GS: ya I don't have any?

Its not a big deal, he just didn't know, but I was just surprised with the response. it seemed like he was just making shit up

Where to start?

My two favorites are:
Me: Do you have an 16ga ammo?
Clerk: No, they're illegal.
Me: What?
Clerk: You can't hunt with anything bigger than 12ga.
Me: What about 20ga.
Clerk: That's different, because its smaller.
Me: Same with 16ga.
Clerk: I think it's metric.

My all time favorite - I actually managed to find 16ga slugs in a small gunstore in Maine. As I get up to the counter with my arms full, I had a Massachusetts moment...
Me: Here is a copy of my Mass LTC, and a copy of my NH LTC - can I buy ammo here with these?
Clerk: Nope - I need a credit card or cash
Me: (after a five second pause to comprehend the info) Oh - sorry, I forgot I was in Free America
Clerk: (Ringing up my purchase) Yes sir, and the chair is against the wall.

Where to start?

My two favorites are:
Me: Do you have an 16ga ammo?
Clerk: No, they're illegal.
Me: What?
Clerk: You can't hunt with anything bigger than 12ga.
Me: What about 20ga.
Clerk: That's different, because its smaller.
Me: Same with 16ga.
Clerk: I think it's metric.

My all time favorite - I actually managed to find 16ga slugs in a small gunstore in Maine. As I get up to the counter with my arms full, I had a Massachusetts moment...
Me: Here is a copy of my Mass LTC, and a copy of my NH LTC - can I buy ammo here with these?
Clerk: Nope - I need a credit card or cash
Me: (after a five second pause to comprehend the info) Oh - sorry, I forgot I was in Free America

[laugh] Love that Maine (Down East) humor.

Went to a well known LGS, looking to buy a Ruger SR45 in black.

They have the gun with the stainless slide.

I ask "Can you get this gun in all black?"

Clerk: "No, the black one is illegal in Mass."

I left and bought it at their competitors store.

At one time the stainless was the only one compliant....but as a gun store owner you have to keep up.

I had the same problem when the SR45 stainless came out and was compliant. I was going to transfer one into HS trading, but they kept asking me what the model number is. I told them what it was...and that it was compliant on Rugers website. They still wouldn't do it, said they would check and call me back..twice....never called.....so a few days later I transferred it at Pullman which is closer for me anyway. Called Scott...he said sure..send it in.

I really haven't been back since. It's hard enough to buy shit here anyway, never mind deal with dealers who don't want to sell compliant guns.

Last edited:
Opinions are like a holes, everybody has one.

Learn the laws yourself.

There is plenty of reference here.

Last edited:

Did you counter sign with John has a long moustache?

Ok, I need to add to my previous comment regarding clerk at Wally World: "you can't buy ammo without an FID card. Don't know if I can accept a LTC"

Today, same store different location: me - "I'll take 5 boxes of the 223". Clerk - "I don't have keys let me get a supervisor". 5 min later supervisor arrives. Clerk- " he wants 5 bx of 22-3" Supervisor- " sorry, we can only sell 3 bx of 22 at a time, can't you see the sign!" Me- "that's for 22 long rifle only, not 223". Supervisor- "actually, it's for any type of 22... 22 regular or 22 dash 3". After a short explanation, I managed to get my 5 boxes.

My latest conversation, I was buying a gun and just filled out the 4473

Me: Ok, I filled it all out.
Clerk: You didn't put your SSN down.
Me: I don't need to put that down.
Clerk: Yes you do it is required. I can't complete the process without it.
Me: I never put it down and it even states it is optional on the form.
Clerk: You still need it. everybody puts it down.
Me: I have filled out plenty of forms without it and have never been rejected.
Clerk: OK I will call but have it handy when they tell me they can't process it without.
Clerk: Box 8, he left it blank. What he doesn't need it? It will still go through? .... proceed.

My latest conversation, I was buying a gun and just filled out the 4473

Me: Ok, I filled it all out.
Clerk: You didn't put your SSN down.
Me: I don't need to put that down.
Clerk: Yes you do it is required. I can't complete the process without it.
Me: I never put it down and it even states it is optional on the form.
Clerk: You still need it. everybody puts it down.
Me: I have filled out plenty of forms without it and have never been rejected.
Clerk: OK I will call but have it handy when they tell me they can't process it without.
Clerk: Box 8, he left it blank. What he doesn't need it? It will still go through? .... proceed.
[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom