• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

Somehow while cleaning .38/357 brass, i dumped a pile of pre primed brass into the wet tumbler with other dirty brass. Tumbled for 2 hours. Looks great. Spread out on cookie sheet to put on top of wood stove to dry and noticed a case with a live primer. Looked a little further and found 50-100 primed cases. I assume they are junk now right?
Maybe for shits i'll fire a few through a revolver to see. What do you all think?
I'm kinda OCD, this shit doesn't happen to me!!!!!

Sorry, man.

You already know the answer. They might be just fine, but your mind won't be at ease as long as you leave those primers in there.

If you let them dry out completely they might actually work, priming compounds are usually water soluble. I'd only try to use them for plinking ammo though. I'd give a look see and make sure the anvils and priming compound are actually still in them first though.

Why risk jamming a revolver over a mistake. You already know you screwed the pooch so de-cap and re-prime. Done.

I stand up my 5.56mm in a spam can and use a heat gun like its a blowdrier. Takes a couple of minutes but works great.

Like stated I’d pop one or two and check to see if compound still in them. If so mark them accordingly and use as plinkers. I’ve used once wet primers before but they didn’t go through a wet tumbler 🙄

I honestly would try a few as I’d be interested to see if they work.
I’ve shot ammo that I accidentally put in the washer and dryer lol. Of course that’s not the same situation as yours.

Somehow while cleaning .38/357 brass, i dumped a pile of pre primed brass into the wet tumbler with other dirty brass. Tumbled for 2 hours. Looks great. Spread out on cookie sheet to put on top of wood stove to dry and noticed a case with a live primer. Looked a little further and found 50-100 primed cases. I assume they are junk now right?
Maybe for shits i'll fire a few through a revolver to see. What do you all think?
have any wax around? You could make a few wax bullets and have some basement plinking fun.
Or juzt say f*** it. They must be old enough fo have only cost you .02 each. Deprime and toss them.
Your OCD surely cant allow you to use them?

They are probably dead but treat them like they are live. I'd put them in my revolver and fire them off. Report back on how many go BANG.

another senario: OP doesnt realize that some have live primers, so he puts them on a cookie sheet and in the gas oven at 300F.......Don't Do This!, Gas Oven, Primer, BOOM

just for giggles, put a primer on a cement floor and hit it with a hammer, you will be suprized at the power they have.

Last edited:
Oil based liquids will KILL primer compound. Water will dry out eventually, how long ? Who knows. When primers are made the primer compound is "WET" loaded into the cups then allowed to dry. Id put one on a cookie sheet on bottom rack of oven with a cookie sheet on rack above at about 170-180 deg. Run about 2 hrs. See what the result is.........

Iff you are careful, you can decap those brass and start over.

Do not use the decapper function of a sizing die; use a universal decapping die, which has enough space around the case to vent the gas if a primer goes off.

Obviously, wear eye protection.

Run the cases in to the decapper slowly.

I've decapped live primer primed brass multiple times with no issues.

That's one screw up you won't forget , been there. Use them for loud snap caps , I found 200 primed 38 spl.
Boxed and been there for 6+ years . Loaded them up and had one bad primer the second one caused the wad cutter to stop between the Darrel and cylinder , was able the use a dowel to knock the bullet back in the case. Will be shooting the last 50 this Thursday . Your situation is worse , play it safe , use them as blanks , pop the fired ? primers , clean the cases and start fresh. Hopefully this will only happen once.

I'd dry them and try a few. Supposedly even primers soaked in oil will reactivate once they dry. I don't know but it's worth a try.

firepiper
No big deal , I've loaded 30 308 cases for benchrest shooting , noticing powder grains all over my loading block , forgot to prime them . Kick myself in the ass for a long time for that one. It happens , Hopefully only once.
Chris

firepiper
Just remembered another screw up , I use a empty powder jug to dump my poped fired primers , just grabbed the new pound of IMR 4064 to dump them into , as I watched them sink in the nice fresh powder.
My primer jug is a empty pound jug with no label just blue tape marked FIRED PRIMERS. Not good enough.
Don't feel so bad , we've all been there.
Chris

Iff you are careful, you can decap those brass and start over.

Do not use the decapper function of a sizing die; use a universal decapping die, which has enough space around the case to vent the gas if a primer goes off.

Obviously, wear eye protection.

And ear protection.

I've decapped live primer primed brass multiple times with no issues.
So have I. But I wear earmuffs just in case. :)

One reason I’d ditch them is because you can’t predict how much each one has degraded.

Water soluble primer compound could get rinsed away, but you don’t know how much. On might be fine. The next might be a squib.

If they still work (doubt it), you could put some wax bullets in those cases and shoot them without powder. Those are great for quick draw and shoot practice.

I would not put powder and lead/jacketed bullets in those. No way.

Back
Top Bottom