• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid question

What could they do if they knew the SN ? I'm pretty sure the SN's are logged into some gigantic BATF database, which is accessible only by certain agencies. I would also assume that there is a name that goes with the SN in the BATF database,so claiming "He has my rifle/handgun because that is my rifle's SN" wouldn't fly.

It's not like your SS#,where it could be used to take advantage of credit cards,welfare etc.

Does anyone have a scenario of what a person could do with a weapon's SN ? Of all the scenarios I have the only reason I can think of blacking out the # would be this:

1) Get valid SN from a weapon.

2) Aquire exact same weapon,and somehow erase the SN on the lower,and forge a new stolen SN onto it.

3) Commit a crime and leave the weapon at the scene.

Is this it ?

It is snowing bigtime,and I am bored sitting in the house IFO a computer,hence the reason and the quest for a valid answer to this question.

Mike1911 said:
I think they want to keep it private.

Obviously,but what I want to know,what can a person do with this info.

They could, for example, mention that you had brandished it in public, and that they had managed to see a partial SN.

Pretty hard to ID a SN unless you actually SAW it. Would ause you all kinds of grief.

Same goes for LP numbers on cars, I suppose...

Zaphod said:
They could, for example, mention that you had brandished it in public, and that they had managed to see a partial SN.

Pretty hard to ID a SN unless you actually SAW it. Would ause you all kinds of grief.

Same goes for LP numbers on cars, I suppose...

The bottom line is there are some sick people out there. And if you can avoid giving them ammo, then by all means do so.

centermass181 said:
and dont forget...there are no stupid questions......only stupid people.

He beat me to it. :D It's possible that because of all the identiy theft and that type of crap that's going on, people have become a bit more paranoid about things. And, to be honest, being paranoid about your gun's serial number isn't all that bad a thing. I don't know what they'd do with it, but then again, I'm an honest person. :D

Back
Top Bottom