stupid question??????

Morning. How hard is it to program freq's in on a handheld. Going to super glue the PTT so I won't be able to use other than listen. Just plan on putting in about 6 .It is a Beofung?? Thanks

i don't have any direct experience but, I've heard it's a pain without the programming cable/software.
more experienced users should be chiming in soon

How hard is it to program freq's in on a handheld. Going to super glue the PTT so I won't be able to use other than listen. Just plan on putting in about 6 .It is a Beofung??
(Disclaimer: Don't own one, but...)

The manufacturer's documentation on those H/T's is The Worst Ever.

For all I know, when you learn how to do it,
they actually may be just as easy to program by hand as a Japanese H/T.

You can doubtless get the procedure from
a web shrine or a commercial Nifty Guide.

And even if you use a PC and a cable,
you're still gonna have to RTFM to do that.

But unless the manufacturer rewrote the official manual in the past few years,
the odds are against you figuring out hand-programming from that source.

Cable and CHIRP software (free) makes it relatively easy to program. And you can program it not to transmit, rather than ruining the radio.

This. I setup a Baofeng with local EMS freqs for a friend and disabled the transmit function on those channels. No need to mutilate the radio. :) Go get your tech license and then you can use it legally on the ham bands.

Thanks Len. Like the disable idea if I donate the rig to the local leo/fire if I don't like it as a limited scanner. Stash

Hi. Cable is due tomorrow, but a holiday so we'll have to see. My computer geek will come over and assist so I hope it'll work out. If not my local pd/fd has another portable. :) Stash

Wow. USPS delivered on a holiday. I guess Amazon overrides a lot. My computer Geek just left We were able to dump all the freq's that were loaded. Put in a few locals and IT WORKS fine. Thanks to all for all info and aid. Happy Easter and Passover to all...…… Stash

So, just picked one of these up.

Total learning curve. How does one begin to learn these? I believe they are programmable. Is there a download for the New England area that would be a good starting point to upload into it?

Where does one find information specifically on programming these devices, and secondly, on using these in general? Just dipping my toes into the water here, and trying to use this as a learning tool.

Thank you.

Total learning curve. How does one begin to learn these? I believe they are programmable. Is there a download for the New England area that would be a good starting point to upload into it?

Where does one find information specifically on programming these devices, and secondly, on using these in general? Just dipping my toes into the water here, and trying to use this as a learning tool.

Thank you.
One of these what? Baofeng? Forget programming it with the front panel, just use Chirp (free, but you need the Baofeng cable). The 'fengs have the worst. User. Interface. Evarr.

I haven't used it in a little bit, but I think they have the option to download from RepeaterBook or one of the other repeater databases. If you're going rogue, you might as well throw the GMRS channels in, for monitoring purposes only [wink] , and the 2m and 440cm calling frequencies.

Even better if someone in your area has already done it and you can just use their settings.

Uv5-r front panel much easier to learn than a Yaesu front panel.. I don’t understand why Operators always discourage a possible new tech to learn on these. Pushing people away from a simple 40 page menu system and require them to carry a computer seems counter productive to the hobby.
To each his own. 'Fengs are notoriously difficult to program. The instructions are rubbish and if you can manage to follow them, it doesn't work. You need to know "this one weird trick" that gets it to actually save what you entered or you have to start over. I wouldn't let programming it be the gating item to using it. Heck, if he's close enough to his buddies it's easy peasy to punch in a simplex frequency and get to work.

In other news, I highly recommend a hand mic. I have the Baofeng brand speaker/mic and it was cheap and way nicer to use than the PTT button on the side of the radio. I think this is generally true for most HTs. And it's nice to clip the radio to my backpack and run the mic to the shoulder strap like a real OG.

Total learning curve.

Like others have said, step one is to download Chirp. Using the software baofeng‘s are super easy to program. You basically type in the frequencies, name them, then press download to radio . You’ll probably figure it out in a half hour.

Definitely agree with @Zumlin and you should look up some YouTube tutorials. Basically as long as you don’t press the PTT you’re safe. I’m sure people will say “never trust YouTube” which isn’t wrong, but that’s how I started out with radio and I was fine.

you can program it not to transmit, rather than ruining the radio
No need to mutilate the radio
What do these ^^ mean?

recommend a hand mic. I have the Baofeng brand speaker/mic and it was cheap and way nicer to use than the PTT button on the side of the radio. I think this is generally true for most HTs. And it's nice to clip the radio to my backpack and run the mic to the shoulder strap like a real OG
Also this.

If someone nearby has programmed theirs, is there a config file I can just upload to mine to get going with the same settings? Or, load that file into the program and make some minor changes (for example, add local fire and police, etc.). Are there any specific frequencies "NES People" use to communicate, or are we not that advanced yet? Or is that not even possible?

Thank you.

The Repeaters are protected by Gremlins with call signs so don't key up the radio or you will get bit.
What does this mean? "Get bit" by what, and how?

as long as you don’t press the PTT you’re safe
Safe from what?

Am I missing something here?

I just want to be able to listen to stuff for a while, then maybe get some training/learning in me before doing much communicating.

Thank you again.

Safe from what?

Am I missing something here?
What happens if you talk on your radio without a license? Do the radio police kick down your door, or do they just mail you a ticket?

Coyote, I’ll answer your question with an example. When I was first learning I programmed my baofeng to the police frequency on dual listen. On the second frequency I put in a marine VHF channel. I then spoke to someone on the marine VHF channel, and after not hearing a reply, realized it was the police frequency I spoke on lol. Point of the story is nothing bad happened but its not something you want to accidentally do. Easiest preventative measure is not touching the PTT button until you’re confident in your programming/radio knowledge. As long as you don’t transmit You won’t interfere with anything and can’t make a mistake.

Education and research is everything with this hobby. It’s super easy to make a mistake without even realizing it happened. My guess is you’ll start out just scanning, but it’s addictive and you’ll probably go for your HAM license. You should really get it if not for anything but the education. Studying to pass the test will teach you a lot about radio and what to do, or not do.

Wicked, The FCC rarely enforces regulations. I might be wrong but don’t believe the FCC even has an enforcement branch. That being said, they have slapped a few people in the past and you probably don’t want to test it. The most likely scenario is someone on HAM will recognize that you transmitted without a license and make a stink. A lot of enthusiasts take this hobby very seriously.

Last edited:
If you're a big enough pain in the ass, a bunch of nerds will triangulate your position, then maybe send you a sternly worded letter. They may contact the FCC who may also send you a sternly worded letter.

We have/had some kids messing around with the local repeater. The owner would shut it down for a little while so the kids would get bored and do something else, but they'd be back. At one point one used a call sign someone wrote down, assuming it was the kid's dad's. Last I heard they were going to contact the guy and make sure he kept his radios in the gun safe when not in use. Basically, nothing will happen.

I can't say no hams will talk to you, but if you transmit without a call sign, you'll likely be ignored. Someone may come back, but they'll ask for your call sign.

This is a fun hobby, at least get your Tech and start playing. This guy's guides are very popular and free.

Last question about what do people use, an HT is only good for very short distances (ones of miles). If you want more range, you need to be on the HF bands (frequencies). Except moonbounce or satellites or ISS, then you want VHF/UHF but probably not a 'feng (although people do use them to hit satellites/ISS).

Last question about what do people use, an HT is only good for very short distances (ones of miles). If you want more range, you need to be on the HF bands (frequencies). Except moonbounce or satellites or ISS, then you want VHF/UHF but probably not a 'feng (although people do use them to hit satellites/ISS).
My father in law has an old Hallicrafters Sky Champion S20R ham radio, maybe a "shortwave" radio. What is the difference between ham and shortwave? Also, my aunt used to have this big console shortwave radio. Both used to get receptions from various transmitters overseas. I would think with newer technology, even if small, the reception would be better than "ones of miles". Am I mistaken or missing something? I just want to be able to listen to some stuff for now, and see what is what. I don't really intend to talk to anyone, at least for the next year or more. It would be fun to talk to people I know either from the White Mountains, or from some mountains in Northern Maine, where cell phones don't work. Is that even possible?

Last edited:
My father in law has an old xxxxxxxxxxxxx ham radio, maybe a "shortwave" radio. What is the difference between ham and shortwave? Also, my aunt used to have this big console shortwave radio. Both used to get receptions from various transmitters overseas. I would think with newer technology, even if small, the reception would be better than "ones of miles". Am I mistaken or missing something? I just want to be able to listen to some stuff for now, and see what is what. I don't really intend to talk to anyone, at least for the next year or more. It would be fun to talk to people I know either from the White Mountains, or from some mountains in Northern Maine, where cell phones don't work. Is that even possible?
Shortwave is HF, which can bounce off the ionosphere/earth allowing for propagation around the world. HTs (like the venerable 'feng) operate on VHF/UHF which are effectively line of sight.

iu

It's not the size of the radio, or even the power necessarily that limits how far you can transmit (and be heard). Below is a 5w radio that will send/receive morse code hundreds or thousands of miles (because of the ionosphere). No, that's not my hand but one day I will have one of those radios.

m1.jpg

HF ham falls within the umbrella of shortwave radio. A shortwave receiver will receive more than what is allocated by the FCC for amateur use. I have no idea if there are any active US shortwave stations, but at night they come rolling in from Asia on the 40m ham band. But generally commercial and amateur do not overlap, on purpose.

Check out the Family Comms thread. Derek has been doing some testing with NVIS, which in layman's terms is sending a signal nearly straight up (Near Vertical), bouncing off the ionosphere, and back down. It is typically on the HF bands (80m/40m). For what you're trying to do, that's probably the method that would get you there. Like most things in life, the answer to most "will it work" ham questions is "it depends", but it only requires a transceiver (radio) that works on those bands, and a simple (but long) wire antenna.

I retract my recommendation to get your Tech license. You should get your General license, which opens up the HF bands for you to use. You can take both tests the same day at the same time for the same price - take Tech, pass, take General, pass, done.

Check out this frequency allocation chart. You'll see that the Amateur slices are just little thin pieces of the overall frequency spectrum. Here are the snippets showing where most HTs operate:

2m band:
1672462926722.png

70cm band:
1672462972065.png

Thank you. That was somewhat helpful. Probably more helpful to those more knowledgeable, but it's a start. I have no idea what is involved here as far as learning curve, time commitment, monetary commitment, etc. Like I said, I'm just dipping my toes into this.

Just want to see how this stuff works, and if it is worth pursuing.

Morning. How hard is it to program freq's in on a handheld. Going to super glue the PTT so I won't be able to use other than listen. Just plan on putting in about 6 .It is a Beofung?? Thanks
I hope you didn't superglue your PTT. Accidentally hitting the button is not going to send the FCC, or some angry hams with plumbers crack to your door. You'll be fine. Just work toward your license, and you too can start working on a first class plumber's crack like the rest of us.

:)

Thank you. That was somewhat helpful. Probably more helpful to those more knowledgeable, but it's a start. I have no idea what is involved here as far as learning curve, time commitment, monetary commitment, etc. Like I said, I'm just dipping my toes into this.

Just want to see how this stuff works, and if it is worth pursuing.
Shortwave in the ham community typically refers to the chunks of spectrum that foreign broadcasters use / used to use. In older days before the Internet, Radio Moscow, Voice of Free China, Radio Havana, Radio Netherlands, Voice of America, BBC, etc could be found in certain bands. Now, most of the foreign stuff has been moved to the web. What's left, are mostly religious broadcasters, and a few holdouts like Radio Havana.

Older ham radio transceivers used to be limited to reception in the ham bands, and a bit extra around them. You needed to buy a general coverage receiver which usually picked up 150 khz - 30,000 khz (.15 mhz to 30 mhz) to pick up the other stuff.

Today, most ham radio HF radios have a general coverage receiver built in free.

Shortwave in the ham community typically refers to the chunks of spectrum that foreign broadcasters use / used to use. In older days before the Internet, Radio Moscow, Voice of Free China, Radio Havana, Radio Netherlands, Voice of America, BBC, etc could be found in certain bands. Now, most of the foreign stuff has been moved to the web. What's left, are mostly religious broadcasters, and a few holdouts like Radio Havana.
The amazing thing is that those stations were the main way people living in desolate, rural spots in the third world got their news. Listening to Radio Havana, Radio Moscow, and Red China was hysterical with the pro-communist propaganda that filled the airways.

Those stations were a great way to learn about the culture, music, food, and history of those countries.

In fact, Radio Havana had a very famous program, hosted by Arnie Coro, called Dxers Unlimited. I think the program is still broadcast. It was quite good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35edpHkMgrE

Last edited:
Shortwave in the ham community typically refers to the chunks of spectrum that foreign broadcasters use / used to use. In older days before the Internet
Yes, I remember my aunt had a big shortwave radio console. On holidays, we'd go over there, and I remember hearing Russian and other foreign languages. We'd get mad at the commie Russians and make up what we thought they were talking about. Then we'd get England and Australia, which was kind of cool. So, you're saying that stuff is gone now and not possible? You'd think with the advance of technology, we'd be able to get everything in a tiny box. That old console was basically a piece of furniture in the room.

Yes, I remember my aunt had a big shortwave radio console. On holidays, we'd go over there, and I remember hearing Russian and other foreign languages. We'd get mad at the commie Russians and make up what we thought they were talking about. Then we'd get England and Australia, which was kind of cool. So, you're saying that stuff is gone now and not possible? You'd think with the advance of technology, we'd be able to get everything in a tiny box. That old console was basically a piece of furniture in the room.
The radios are actually more available. But foreign countries eliminated their shortwave broadcast stations, and moved the content to the Inet. Radio Havana is still on the air, and a ton of religious broadcasters, but the big ones of the past are all gone.

The propaganda from Radio Moscow, Havana, and Red China was legendary, and a riot to listen to.

I had my own stupid question I started here, but thought maybe it needed its own stupid place. Any help you can give would be welcomed. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom