Stupid AR Build Questions

MAJoe

NES Member
Apologizes in advance, but just two quick ones about a planned AR build.

The dumbest one: When choosing a barrel are there any other MA restrictions outside of the threads, flash hider, and bayo lug? No issue running any profile or length barrel provided the 16" NFA limit is met?

Regarding the FA10, the lower was purchase stripped and new, but it was from a LGS and it was registered at purchase via FA10. I can't recall (can check) the exact wording, but pretty sure it was under "Other" and said "lower receiver", "multi-cal", and barrel length as 0. When the build finally meets the MA definition of a firearm and can shoot, does it have to be registered as a rifle or is the first dealer FA10 all that's needed?

Appreciate the help and thanks.

As for the barrel you got it right.Once the gun is all done you need to do an EFA-10,but some people say if they did one for the receiver then they are not going to do any more.

I think you can get 14.5 inch but you need at muzzle device of 1.5 to make it 16 but some site wont even send it to the state unless they put on the md...

Regarding the FA10, (snip) is the first dealer FA10 all that's needed?

Appreciate the help and thanks.

The dealer did not need to do it and did not do it correctly from my understanding. It seems like it would not make a difference either way but I would submit the EFA-10 once it meets the requirement for filing i.e. can fire a shot.

Good luck.

You can build a shorter barrel and make it a legal 16" over all legnth but it requires a little bit more, it needs to be permanently attached by pin, weld, silver solder or other means. I did a 14.5" barrel and pinned a PWS556 on it to bring it to 16". Simple to do if your motivated or several local places will do it for you.

Just make sure you don't have everything together until it is done. It would be considered "constructive intent" by the ATF.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The barrel I'm keeping simple, 16" target crown. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing else as far as restrictions on the barrel specific to MA beyond the bayo lug like a restriction on the allowed profiles.

The eFA10 piece is news to me so glad I asked. I'll get it done once the rifle is complete.

Thanks again

It sounds like you have it all right Joe.

You may want to check out Kinetitech. They make a muzzle brake / shroud combination. With the shroud on, its quieter than even a plain barrel. With the shroud off, its a decent brake.

Just a though.

Don

p.s. here's a review. I disagree with the reviewer on the point that the brake works well with the shroud on it. I've used this on my .308 precision rifle. I take the shroud off if I'm alone. But if I'm shooting a match or next to other prople, I put th shroud on as s courtesy.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kineti-tech-muzzle-break/

It sounds like you have it all right Joe.

You may want to check out Kinetitech. They make a muzzle brake / shroud combination. With the shroud on, its quieter than even a plain barrel. With the shroud off, its a decent brake.

Just a though.

Don

p.s. here's a review. I disagree with the reviewer on the point that the brake works well with the shroud on it. I've used this on my .308 precision rifle. I take the shroud off if I'm alone. But if I'm shooting a match or next to other prople, I put th shroud on as s courtesy.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kineti-tech-muzzle-break/

Thanks Don. Looks like a nice brake. I'm already planning build #2 (this one isn't even finished yet) so I'll pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom