• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stuff said online.....

It has been mentioned that anything said online can be used against you, but some people still insist on posting garbage like "someone tried that with me I would ......" and the like.

Real world example from yesterday. A person present at the Jan 6 riots was sentenced in Boston yesterday to an assortment of penaltys for a misdemeanor pleadout (15 days in federal prison, $500 restitution, community service, probation). The misdemeanor deal was accepted with no pre-determined agreement on sentence, and the government filed sentencing memorandum asking for a substantial sentence (relative to the crime level).

One of the justifications the government used in its argument was the comments present earlier on the defendant's fund raising page, that included assertions of innocence; and characterizing the case as "political prosecution".

So yes, internet postings can and will be used against you - even comments made in the arena of fundraising for a defense.

You may not be able to get around the government's attempt to use an effort to avoid the "legal fee punishment" against you, however, it is important to be aware that even a protestation of innocence in public can and will be used against you.

The second thing a defense attorney tells a client (after "my fee is....") is "do not discuss this case with anyone but my team". That also goes for saying stuff that could be used to cast unflattering innuendo regarding your character or mindset, even if you are not involved with "the system" at present.

And to those who think their screen name provided confidentiality - nope.

. . . and most will ignore your admonition, sadly.
Yup. Just saw one posted very recently about someone explaining about how they do not care and will ignore the ban on post office carry. Just the kind of thing you do not want brought up if you ever unintentionally break the law or are accused of such, as the prosecution can and will cite your intent to violate gun laws you do not like.

This is like talking to the police when you are a suspect - nothing you can say will help you, but it can hurt you.

A great example from the civil arena: The demise of Flea, who live-blogged his medical malpractice trial
Those threads are the best, everyone posting what their stupid elaborate story will be when they shoot someone in their house.

Those people are a prosecutor's wet dream.

I have posted this in many threads and here goes once more --- I dated a MA prosecutor, she told me most of the people that walked away where the ones that STFU.

But we are talking about gun owners here, people that talk about buying the biggest safe to protect their guns yet advertise there are guns in the house with signs and stickers.

I wonder why they don't advertise they own gold and jewelry.

NES can never be fully erased. Every single thing posted here is stored in multiple locations so that it is never fully deleted even if Derek dumped the servers into a volcano.
Yaaaa…well I didn’t think I’d need to say it out loud but that was sarcasm. lol

person present at the Jan 6 riots was sentenced in Boston yesterday
any thoughtcrime will be punished mercilessly.
the deal is - at some point people get too tired to remain afraid, and it stops making too much difference of what the tyranny will do to you.
as no matter what you do or do not do, say or do not say - they will find a way to put you in a labor camp.
"give me a man - i`ll find you a crime".

Your honor the court would like to call Alexa to the center stage…er… stand. It was privy to the terrorists plans to support the constitution from day one and made daily recordings of the insurgents getting ready for work and plotting to celebrate the 4th with exuberance and very small explosives.

This is like talking to the police when you are a suspect - nothing you can say will help you, but it can hurt you.

A great example from the civil arena: The demise of Flea, who live-blogged his medical malpractice trial
It’s crazy how some things like “political persecution” can be used against you. At first I was wondering how on earth that could be used in court. But now I think about it, I can see it. It makes the defendant look like he or she is not accepting that what they did was wrong. It makes them look dangerous like they haven’t learned their lesson and are likely to repeat it without a stiff sentence.

But unfortunately I think we’ve all said things that could be used against us if something that small can. Perception is everything. I think we all need to be smart about what we post. But also, unfortunately we live in a world where whatever we say can be used against us in many cases.

The right to remain silent should be practiced beforehand as well with regard to certain statements/language, IMO. Some people just cannot help themselves though. May not bite you in the ass someday, but then again it might. I like to excersise all my rights but I also like to fly under the radar until it would be absolutely necessary not to. YMMV.

The right to remain silent should be practiced beforehand as well with regard to certain statements/language, IMO. Some people just cannot help themselves though. May not bite you in the ass someday, but then again it might. I like to excersise all my rights but I also like to fly under the radar until it would be absolutely necessary not to. YMMV.
They’d turn that into an admission of being in a sleeper cell somehow.

It’s crazy how some things like “political persecution” can be used against you. At first I was wondering how on earth that could be used in court. But now I think about it, I can see it. It makes the defendant look like he or she is not accepting that what they did was wrong. It makes them look dangerous like they haven’t learned their lesson and are likely to repeat it without a stiff sentence.

But unfortunately I think we’ve all said things that could be used against us if something that small can. Perception is everything. I think we all need to be smart about what we post. But also, unfortunately we live in a world where whatever we say can be used against us in many cases.
There are different phases and types of admissibility. I doubt that a statement like this could be used as evidence at trial, but it certainly was used in the government's pleading in an attempt to make the defendant look unrepentant as part of arguing for an increased sentence. The government also appears to have been attempting to insinuate that soliciting donations to cover legal fees incurred while one is under the presumption of innocence is an attempt to avoid accountability.

SCOTUS has upheld the right of judges to use information like "not guilty findings" on charges as the basis for sentence enhancement for a crime one is convicted of. The court rules that exclusion at a proceeding under one standard of admissibility does not preclude use of the same information in other state actions (such as sentencing) where a lower level of proof is required such as preponderance of the evidence. This is typically applied when a defendant is only convicted of a subset or charges, however, the court uses the ones for which there was no conviction in considering the sentence.

It’s crazy how some things like “political persecution” can be used against you.
Why it is so dangerous to vote by mail or vote early and give your address. You are telling people who you voted for.

Those that call me paranoid need to read a few history books and learn what happens in Venezuela when people vote for the wrong party.

Sooo…erase all of NES and start over?
Pretty much. Rob of right, of course, and taken to it's safest conclusion in today's crazy world, we all need to stop talking here and elsewhere immediately and delete our accounts and stay silent. Nothing less will suffice. :cool:

Of course, I am an old man, dirt poor and in poor health without much left in life to lose, so I'll keep on posting and take my chances with corrupt leftist nanny government. Too late now to turn back the clock and take back everything I've ever said. Besides, I like to talk. ;)

If I were a younger man, I might feel differently. 🤔

They’d turn that into an admission of being in a sleeper cell somehow.

I definitely like to get my sleep, I can be very cantankerous if I don't, rather not do it in a cell though.

But, an example that comes to mind would be that I would not be telling everyone I am going to shoot any unsavory person that comes on my property and then someday have to do it (even if I was threatened and it was justifiable), that would not go over too well in court. Another example, a neighbor has a sign on a half sheet of plywood part way down the driveway stating "Trespassers will be shot, not kidding", that sign does not seem like a great idea, IMO.

Last edited:

Those threads are the best, everyone posting what their stupid elaborate story will be when they shoot someone in their house.

Those people are a prosecutor's wet dream.

I have posted this in many threads and here goes once more --- I dated a MA prosecutor, she told me most of the people that walked away where the ones that STFU.

But we are talking about gun owners here, people that talk about buying the biggest safe to protect their guns yet advertise there are guns in the house with signs and stickers.

I wonder why they don't advertise they own gold and jewelry.
More importantly was she hot?

Then we should all post how we would never do anything illegal right now so that we can show them that in court!

Better yet, make a disclaimer in your sig.

" My views and comments are sarcasm and or comedy, not to be taken seriously at any time. Nor do they reflect the opinions of others who may be participating in the same discussion or the administrator of this website"

There is one guy on here who I am seriously worried about regarding some of the stuff he posts, openly advocating certain activities.. Guy seems smart in certain areas, but completely oblivious in others, don't want to insult him by pointing it out and he is a big boy making big boy decisions.. But I am really surprised he hasn't gotten a visit. And if he did get a visit, I couldn't blame the visiting agency for doing so.

Back
Top Bottom