Student shoots firearm instructor in VT

B9317919026Z.1_20150630185157_000_GL3B7PUEH.1-0.jpg

"CRAZY? No I'm not crazy. Why, do I look crazy???"

Who knows WTF happened, a lot of missing parts on this one, true detective material.

Only valid cop out there that I'd back up are detectives: The one who figures out what happened, not some union thug claiming he's important to "my safety".

Worse than the two shots to the face?

Crazy as it sounds, the abdomen has TONS of blood vessels and not so many bones to redirect the projectile. Tearing through all that vasculature usually leads to massive blood loss in a very short amount of time. The face has bones that can possibly redirect the projectiles away from the brain, depending on different factors.

Crazy as it sounds, the abdomen has TONS of blood vessels and not so many bones to redirect the projectile. Tearing through all that vasculature usually leads to massive blood loss in a very short amount of time. The face has bones that can possibly redirect the projectiles away from the brain, depending on different factors.

In addition to the above, the bullet puncturing the intestines releases bacteria that can infect other organs and the peritoneum (lining of the inner abdominal wall), that requires prompt treatment to prevent peritonitis, which is potentially life-threatening.

In addition to the above, the bullet puncturing the intestines releases bacteria that can infect other organs and the peritoneum (lining of the inner abdominal wall), that requires prompt treatment to prevent peritonitis, which is potentially life-threatening.

Yeah, you do not want a perforated bowel. Bad news.

Yes. Just received this message from Gun Owners of Vermont:
As you may have heard in the news, the Vermont Federation of Sportsmen's Secretary, Darryl Montague, is in critical condition after being shot by a student on 6/29.The blood at the University of Vermont Hospital has depleted their supply for his surgery and are in need of blood donors.
Blood is being flown in from New Hampshire.
To give blood in Darryl's name to replenish the supply please visit either of the following locations.

Littleton, NH on July 2, 2015
Elks Lodge; Route 302; Littleton, NH 10:00am to 3:00pm

Brattleboro on July 7, 2015
VFW; Black Mountain Road; from 11:30am to 5:00pm

Please donate blood and offer prayers to Darryl and his family in this time of crisis.

**** If you cannot donate blood, please consider a monetary donation to the family. ****

http://www.gofundme.com/yau56pw

For other donation locations:
http://www.redcross.org/blood Type in your zip code.

Please pass this on to others that can help.

Give blood in Littlton NH or Brattleboro? Those places are a heck of a distance from where this happened.

I had a firearms instructor start off on the outdoor range first thing he said to the group was "if you shoot me, I'm going to shoot you back." He had a dead serious look on his face too.

We all looked at each other puzzled, we all thought it was odd. Who would want to shoot the guy that was training you to save your own life. My feelings mirrored my fellow classmates, we all felt indebted to the instructor, who would want to shoot their instructor we thought?

Now I understand.

VT the death penalty? Sure. Besides that, SCOTUS (thanks to another Kennedy ruling several yars ago) decided you cannot get the DP for anything less than a murder. If no one dies, could be thousands seriously injured, there can be no DP. I think the case they decided was Louisiana's DP for the rape of a 4 month old child.
I'm hoping the man recovers well enough to testify against her.
He's still critical, lost a lot of blood.

Before, I didn't understand this scene from the Ben Affleck movie The Town. Now, it all makes sense.

Last edited:
Just a sad update......continue to pray for him and his family!

Darryl just took a turn for the worse, and may have an infection. He remains on life-support in a coma, and needs a ventilator (breathing machine) to breathe for him. Please keep your prayers and thoughts with him and his family as they continue this long journey.

update #4 gofundme site

Last edited:
I do not think the two to the face were any picnic either....miracle the guy is alive

I agree. That must've been pretty nasty.

It sounds like he's in septic shock and definitely on a ventilator. This is where it gets scary because there really is no way to know how it's gonna go.

As long as he can maintain a solid blood pressure, ventilate/oxygenate his lungs, have his tissues get the blood they need to function, get the right antibiotics to work in his system, and not develop a clotting condition known as DIC; then there is hope.

Godspeed, Mr. Montague. Saying a prayer for you.

This was posted yesterday. http://www.gunownersofvermont.org/update-on-darryl-2/

The post on the previous day mentioned he was in a medically induced coma to aid his recovery.

To All:
Mary and I would first like to thank you for all showing such support for Darryl and his family by either donating blood, the monetary donations that have been made and the good thoughts and prayers going his way.

According to Darryl’s family, he “continues to remain in critical status with no changes and no set backs after his surgery this morning. This is a fabulous thing!”. The family is hoping this weekend will be uneventful since they are anticipating more surgery on Monday.

Since Darryl’s mother, Ann, does not have access to the internet and does not know all the support you all are giving, if you would take a moment and send her a card, this would be appreciated.

Mrs. Ann Montague
173 Pettingill Road
Essex Jct., VT 05452

If you wish to make a donation on the web site the address is: http://www.gofundme.com/yau56pw

If you prefer to write a check instead of utilizing the web site, Jessica (Laurie’s daughter) has requested to please make the

checks out to:

Darryl Montague Fund
c/o Jessica Guay
32 Jonathan Drive
Wilmot, NH 03237

If you wish to donate blood in Darryl’s name please visit the Red Cross Web site for a site near you. Or if you are in the Burlington area, they are located at 32 N. Prospect St; Burlington, VT; hours are 9AM to 6PM Monday – Friday and
9AM to 2PM on Saturday.

As always, please keep Darryl and his family in your thoughts and prayers and please include the medical team that has been entrusted to care for Darryl.

Thanks,
Clint and Mary

Clint Gray,
Northern Vice President
Immediate Past-President

Vermont Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, Inc.

Last edited:
I just got back from VA and was wondering why the media wasn't all over this. I mean they love stories where they can stress the need for more gun laws etc. Then I saw Ms. Lewis and all was clear.

Update:

With the highs of triumphs, come the lows of set backs. Darryl has been running a high fever for the last several days, indicating he has an infection. He has been diagnosed with pneumonia and an infection in his belly. To help heal the infection, Darryl underwent his seventh abdominal surgery today. The doctors have put him back into a medical coma to optimize his healing. He continues on a breathing machine, and many antibiotics. Darryl continues to fight. He proves each day just how strong he is! With every set back comes a longer hospital stay, a longer recovery time, and higher medical bill. Let's stand behind Darryl, with lots of prayers, good thoughts, and a donation! Thank you for all your continued support!

Continued prayers for him and his family!

By Laurie Montague - 3 hours agoThree full weeks have passed since we entered into this nightmare. The body is slow to heal, time is our only friend.
Darryl is calm today. He still struggles with the fevers, but the intensity has diminished. As his consciousness breaks through the sedation, I get a brief glimpse of recognition from him with a head nod or a thumbs up. He still requires full assistance for moving, breathing...well, everything.
Slow sailing at this point is optimal...slow, smooth sailing.
Hugs to all...
Laurie

From the gofundme site posted above in this thread. Continued prayers for his recovery and his family!

Hello everyone.
I'm honored to have such wonderful support from you. I struggle with the reality and gravity of Darryl's situation. As it is our nature to always focus on the positive, the reality is not so rosey.
Darryl has been bed bound and sedate for a month now, the only the smallest of voluntary movements. Every muscle in his body has atrophied - a fancy term for deterioration from non-use. He has lost 1/3 - 1/2 of his muscle mass. This has left him with no control over his muscles and he will have to relearn everything. Even reflexive movement, such as breathing requires time to rebuild his strength to breathe without the machines. In other words, he is as weak and helpless as a newborn. He needs complete assistance to raise his arm up, to lift his head off the pillow or even roll over to his side. Just as a newborn needs time to grow, Darryl will need time to regenerate his lost muscle mass and regain his independence. With his level of illness, we are hopeful to believe he will be walking independently by springtime. For now, I give him daily messages to stimulate blood flow through his muscles and move his joints so they don't stiffen and freeze up. Hospital Physical Therapy can not begin (per insurance) until he is awake and completely interactive for three continuous hours...so for now, I do it as often as possible.
Our first goal...to be alert and able to sit upright in bed before the first kick-off of the Patriots...go Pats!!

Just a new update... God bless him, his devoted wife, and family!

I'm hopeful. It is amazing how a person can recover despite very serious injuries. It sounds like his condition is stable and ot life threatening anymore and now they are starting to bring him our of the sedation and build his strength.

Back
Top Bottom