• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Student shoots firearm instructor in VT

I'm hopeful. It is amazing how a person can recover despite very serious injuries. It sounds like his condition is stable and ot life threatening anymore and now they are starting to bring him our of the sedation and build his strength.

Hopeful here too! Concerned for the risk of respiratory complications while he is still vent dependent. Sincerely hope some aggressive restorative therapies can begin soon- the massages and passive ROM the wife is doing is a start, but by God- she must be exhausted on all levels. Seeing some new interventions may help alleviate some of the help of the helpless feelings she must have, and fortify her hope.

Hadn't heard anything new about the POS that did this to him, until.....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ooting-suspect-visited-funeral-home/30826997/

Six days before shooting and almost killing a firearms instructor in Westford, Veronica Lewis visited a Burlington funeral home to ask questions about being a mortician, an affidavit for a search warrant in the case shows.

Lewis, 31, of Worcester told the owners of Boucher and Pritchard Funeral Home that she had been referred to them by the Community College of Vermont as part of a career development program. One of the owners later told police that Lewis “struck her as odd,” the affidavit states.

Lewis was charged almost a week later with the attempted first-degree murder of Darryl Montague, 48, after police said she shot her firearms instructor three times. Lewis has pleaded not guilty.

The owner of the funeral parlor, Carol Pritchard, said she had seen Lewis on the news following the woman’s arraignment on June 30, one day after the alleged shooting. She asked an employee of the funeral home to call the Vermont State Police so she could share her information, the affidavit states.

Pritchard told police that “Lewis was insistent about seeing an embalming and curious on how to do facial reconstructions on bodies,” the affidavit states. The owner said Lewis had also asked to work for her.

“At one point during her conversation, Lewis stated, ‘I have some ideas about death and I need to explore them,’” the owner told the police.

The next day, Lewis sent the owner an email asking if she could come back and meet her again, but Pritchard replied that she didn’t have time. Lewis came anyway, the affidavit states. Again, Lewis was “very insistent” about seeing or preparing a body.

The information about Lewis’ funeral home visit was used to show probable cause for searching Lewis’ room at the Hundred Acre Homestead in Worcester. The homestead is described on its website as a “ licensed therapeutic community residence ... for people who are challenged with mental illness or struggling with life’s emotional stress.”

From her room, police recovered several targets, a box cutter and a drawing of a grave stone, among other items.

Police also contacted Lewis’ parents as part of their investigation. Lewis’ father told police that Lewis has been diagnosed with a bi-polar disorder. Lewis’ mother said Lewis suffered from an undiagnosed mental illness. Both said Lewis is medicated for her conditions.

The people of vermont most be thrill POS like this are going to drug rehabs in vt from their shlthole NY. This woman is batshlt crazy but she absolutely knew what she was doing was wrong and she should rot in a cell forever.

The Montague family/friends should be allowed to ventilate her and watch her suffer; quid pro quo. She did clearly have premeditation....she needs to burn for this!

My heart goes out to him and his family.
He's got a long road ahead of him.
The animal that did it need to be put down like a rabid dog.

http://www.gofundme.com/dmontague

Positive Progress! Update #15, 4 days ago

By Laurie Montague - 21 minutes ago
We may be at day 44, but we have had the most progress just in the past 48 hrs!
Physical Therapy started with him yesterday and today. Those ladies are awesome, there of them surrounded him and coerced him into standing! D was up and standing for a few minutes this afternoon, then back to bed. Those tired legs just got a taste of the work ahead. More daily PT, more strength building, all a very good thing.
He is still struggling daily with nausea, pain control and fevers to 101+. This will be the new normal.
Wow, I'm overwhelmed with hope and promise...as well as just how much still has to happen, but we are finally on the road of RECOVERY, heading in the direction of home.
It's a good day...
Laurie

This whole thing is going to get a lot more interesting rather quickly methinks. Her brother was shot and killed about a decade ago. The shooter was acquitted of murder (shooter claimed self defense). The sister (and alleged shooter in this case) said this: "Is Vermont gonna give everybody a chance to murder somebody and get away with it?" asked sister Veronica Lewis. "What kind of world is this? I mean, just kill someone and act as though it's self-defense when it's not? We all seen on the stand that it's self defense when it's not?! We all seen on the stand that this kid was lying. We all seen it. And he was just let free of murdering someone. My brother. My brother is not an animal." Linky to article from 2007: http://www.wcax.com/story/7497725/jurors-underhill-ortiz-not-guilty

So we shall see....

No sir, apparently we shall seen.

Another mental health issue involved firearms incident..The only kryptonite for the national press to exploit it was apparently the color and perhaps sex of the offender.

It's great to read that Mr. Montague is still advancing in his recovery.

Last edited:
Nice! I'm assuming if he's standing, then he's off the ventilator. The more he moves the better chances of warding off pneumonia. Hoping for a kickass recovery.

ETA: Nvm, he's off the ventilator! Looks like he's got a tracheal tube. As he gets better, the can downsize that tube, eventually take it out and the hole left will close up. This is definitely good news.

Last edited:
Update #16

By Laurie Montague - 4 days ago
Hello everyone, sorry to be a little quiet on the home front. I've had to work...a lot of time to catch up for.

Darryl is now totally off the vent and the sedation, He greets me immediately on walking into the room, a welcomed sight. We can have light conversation now. By light, I mean ...how's the pain, do you want, need a drink...but this is interactive. We have the same conversations daily, as each day is a new day. Yes, we are living the '50 first dates' life right now.

Old, secured memories are intact. Those are stored in deep areas of the brain, but new or recent memories are not sticking. The memory loss is a combination of illness, ICU sleep deprivation, various medication and the effects of traumatic brain injury(TBI). As time progresses, this will improve but it will take many months to years. Patience, repetition and time is our new motto. There is a lot of information on TBI, but there is so much more that no one knows. It is my new crash course night reading. Not a big part of my previous practice, I have a lot of information to sort through. As we move forward, frequent interactions with friends and family are important to reform those connections. Darryl will have his own IPAD (thanks to a wonderful gift from a very dear friend) and I will let everyone know when active to chime in on facetime.

Darryl's number one frustration is his jaw wired...no surprise to anyone! Well, CT yesterday showed slow healing and another 4-6 wks will be needed. This is not unexpected. His body has been taxed hard. His nutritional status is poor and not going to improve for a long time. It will heal, just will take more time. He can talk through this, a little muffled but understandable. Not being able to open his mouth will help deter his desire to drink and eat.

The nausea continues, I fear this is not going to get better. Meds do little to ease the sensation and movement intensifies it. Going to be a very long 6 months.

We are facing the hurdles of healing...

Have a great week

Laurie

http://www.gofundme.com/dmontague

Last edited:
Update # 17
Darryl has made it out of ICU and onto a regular hospital floor. He is working daily with PT and has taken 12 steps with a walker and assistance! He is able to be up in a chair for a couple of hours a day, but is plagued with dizziness. The injury to his left ear has damaged the balance center and he has permanent spinning sensations with intense nausea. Hopefully, with time and therapy, he can learn to work through the sensations. He is also struggling with short term memory retention, a consequence of his illness and his brain trauma. Time will tell as to how permanent this will become. Daily communication with friends and family help stimulate new brain connections and pathways.
He is able to venture outside for 20 minutes or so, a couple of times during the week. This always lifts his spirits, but he is exhausted for the entire next day. All small steps forward. This is the new 'normal' for the next few months.

Any behind the scenes update on Darryl's condition?

In other, but related news:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ng-suspect-now-faces-assault-charge/72832664/

From a couple of days ago...

Hello everyone.
Sorry for the quiet. Times have been a bit rough on the homefront. Darryl has just crossed the 100 day mark in the hospital and is doing fabulous...just fabulous. The infection has cleared and he is feeling better these days. The nausea has quieted..some, and PT is working hard with him. His memory is improving slowly, short term recall is still a struggle, esp name recognition. His overall health is improved, which helps his mental health.
We were blessed with the opportunity to bring Emma into the room this weekend for the first time. A dog is truly man's best friend, and she was great therapy for him. Instant recognition and love.
Time on the computer is also progressing nicely as well. Anyone that would like to facetime him on his Ipad is welcomed to call in. His address is [email protected] and his room phone is 802-847-9105. If he is not answering the facetime, then try calling his room phone and remind him to turn on his computer. He does much better with facial recognition than voice. Every interaction stimulates brain health and improved mental health. These are long days for him, as he is not able to venture out of his room or even out of his bed.
The winding road of recovery continues.
Hugs to all...Laurie

Back
Top Bottom