• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stuck Take-down Pin in EA Pre-ban Lower

Anybody have one of those cast pre-bans from EA JR-15?

I bought it on Gunbroker and the LPK looks pretty shabby, put on my M&P 15 low-pro upper, and couldn't get the rear-take down pin all the way through.

Is there a mil-spec compatability issues?

I'll be able to get it off, but wonder what upper (an evil feature on) I should look for it.

Thanks...j

I would open up the hole on the upper a little with a file or try another upper on it. Wouldn't be a mil-spec issue just different tolerances from then and now I would assume just a little off.

Do you have access to an arbor press? ....non-hydraulic?
I sincerely hope you're not talking about pressing the take down pin through the upper using a press.

OP, Don't modify anything yet. Get another AR or 2 and play mix n match and see what parts don't work with what, then fix the receiver that's out of spec.

Last edited:
Make sure it's not the pin itself. I had a few DPMS LPK's where the pins had raised ridges on the edges of the detent pin slots. Pins would not go in. A light filing of the rough areas on the pins took the edges off.

I used to have one and if I remember it was a tight fit. I would try another upper before you mod anything. and I would mod the upper vs a preban lower.

Its the E.A. lower. I had one and a few XM15-E2s lowers, what fit on the Bushmasters didnt work on the E.A. ( not even close). Follow the words of wisdom from the others: Find a new upper to take a file too.
PS: Just picked up my BANE billet lower , nice fit on the uppers that I have here and the finish
is great. They need to make a billet upper now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom