• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Struggling with my new AR!

So, pretend for a minute that I just bought my first AR and some things to go along wit it... I seem to be doing just about everything wrong, and now I am forced to beg for help...
1sm134plead.gif

Alright... Some info:

Stag Model 8

Things I bought to put on it...

Magpul MOE AR-15 Carbine Stock, Commercial

Magpul Grip

I have a bunch of other things, but so far, they are unrelated to my issues.. Probably because I haven't touched them yet...

So, here's how the story goes... We're sitting on the deck yesterday and my buddy says, hey, let's check out the stuff you got for the AR. Cool, I say... Anyway, we end up trying to put the stock on. FAIL. The new stock will not work with the gay Mass buffer tube. (no holes on the bottom). Alright, we'll need a new buffer tube. Next!

Let's put the grip on he says... How hard can that be? So, without the wife's supervision, we proceed. To make the story short, the wife reads the directions and the first line reads: Be sure not to lose the selector spring. And... We did... [hmmm]

So, with all that being said, here are my questions... If you feel the need to make fun of me, I can understand... I would probably make fun of me...

The Stag website says the Model 8 is Mil Spec. So am I really looking for a Mil spec buffer tube and did I buy the wrong stock? Will the internals transfer from tube to tube?

I obviously need a new selector spring.. Are they all pretty much the same or do I need to go to Stag? I still have the little brass/bronze pin in the lower, is there another pin?

Again, sorry for being so ignorant... I wouldn't ask if I didn't really need the help... It's sad to see my new gun as a pile of parts in a box... [thinking]

If you purchased a commercial stock, you will need a commercial tube. The internals will be the same. Be sure to pin it once installed.
Zero hour arms in Easton should have the spring you need, and probably the tube also.

You have the wrong stock. Milspec is milspec, commercial is commercial, they dont interchange. There should have been a paper in your magpul box explaining the size differences. Your lost spring, it doesn't have to be Stag. Those springs will interchange.

First here is a selector spring from Midway.Selector Spring

You can get one anywhere. Hell even some gunshops (if they have gunsmithing available all the more likely).

Second here is how you can tell the difference between Commercial and Mil

Buffertube_Specs.jpg

The Stag Model 8 is not what is stated in the manual. They modified the gun to meet the pitiful Mass laws. The stock does in fact fit the bigger diameter commercial tube but there is only one hole in the stag tube because we can't have adjustable stocks here in Mass.

Those little springs in the lower are easy to lose and you should work on your lower in-doors so you can find them when then shoot across your room. Welcome to the world of AR's [grin]

Thanks guys. Especially the part about indoors... [rofl] Here's one more question. As it appears that I need a new tube, will the commercial thread into the Model 8? Based on what I see above, it looks like the Model 8 came with a modified Mil-Spec.

If I'm understanding correctly, I should probably just return the stock, and buy a Mil-Spec tube and stock?

The threads in the receiver are only one size, either tube will fit. The stock and tube have to be compatible

SJan is correct. The receiver thread will accept a mil spec or commercial tube. I am fairly sure that the Mass compliant Stag uses a modified commercial tube. I bought a nice adjustable mil spec stock for my model 8 and could not get it to fit on the tube because the tube was too large in diameter, so I bought a mil spec tub and called it a day! By the way when you unthread the the tube....be careful!!! There is a small spring loaded stop pin in the reciever that prevents the tube from threading in too far and also stops the buffer weight from popping out. That pin and the spring tend to come out flying (don't take it out while on the deck).

Good Luck, the Stag is a nice shooting AR.

If you lost the selector spring, you might have also lost the detent that goes with it. Probably a good idea to check before you order.

I know it is a drive for you, however I have all the parts in stock and will install no charge for you.
If you want to take a Saturday drive out to the shop.
John
413 579 1994

(don't take it out while on the deck).

Thanks! I've learned my lesson! [laugh] I think I may do some reading from now on...

If you lost the selector spring, you might have also lost the detent that goes with it. Probably a good idea to check before you order.

In all of my looking, I figured that might be the case... I will check.

I know it is a drive for you, however I have all the parts in stock and will install no charge for you.
If you want to take a Saturday drive out to the shop.
John
413 579 1994

We're actually out there quite a bit with the Jeep Club. I will see if I can work it into the schedule... A million tanks for the offer! [grin] This is you? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Default.aspx Funny, it was one of the first sites I ran across trying to solve my problems... It's destiny! [rofl]

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for all the help! I know sometimes the new guys can be annoying....

Last edited:
Keep in mind these are precison made and unlike AKs you can't make parts from a soup can.

Whenever you take things apart, do it in a white room with nothing else in it but you and the gun. It will help you find those missing things in a couple of hours.

Fixxah said:
Keep in mind these are precison made and unlike AKs you can't make parts from a soup can.

Whenever you take things apart, do it in a white room with nothing else in it but you and the gun. It will help you find those missing things in a couple of hours.

You could also have a four year old find it for you. My son found one of my detent springs and detent in a minute. I had been searching for an hour. Kids are like a bloodhound for small parts that they can put in their mouths. Trust me, I know.

Thanks guys... Normally my wife can find the parts that I lose. I guess she used all her magic powers making fun of us for not reading the directions... [smile]

Here's my next question...

I currently have these...

512__39047_zoom.jpg

burris-ar-tact-3x32-ball-cq-matte.jpg

We started with the EOTech and weren't really big fans of the no magnification, which is why we bought the Burris. After that, I discovered this...

41%2BcvcKBFGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Which setup would you run? Given those choices?

I highly recomend a O.S. kit It comes with a few extra parts. basically I got a bolts parts kit some detents/springs. did you look to see if the spring was still in the old grip? So far all the grips I have the spring stays put pretty well in the hole on the grip.

Another thing I do especially with unknown firearm disassembly. Find a large clear tote cut holes on long side big enough for hands and arms to fit. cover what ever your working on. This contains those parts that go TWANG PING PING CLICK CLICK gone.
Kids also work as noted for finding parts. My daughter has found several parts i deemed lost for ever.

As for your optics.....I like them all. I have strayed away from the "dot" styles. I dont do any up close or 3 gun style shooting so rapid target shooting is out. I much rather have a multi aim point crosshair scope or " mildot" scope

Last edited:
I highly recomend a O.S. kit It comes with a few extra parts. basically I got a bolts parts kit some detents/springs. did you look to see if the spring was still in the old grip? So far all the grips I have the spring stays put pretty well in the hole on the grip.

Yeah, it's long gone... [crying] The detent actually stayed in though!

Another thing I do especially with unknown firearm disassembly. Find a large clear tote cut holes on long side big enough for hands and arms to fit. cover what ever your working on. This contains those parts that go TWANG PING PING CLICK CLICK gone.
Kids also work as noted for finding parts. My daughter has found several parts i deemed lost for ever.

I told my buddy about this and he said..."That guy is definitely making fun of you!"

As for your optics.....I like them all. I have strayed away from the "dot" styles. I dont do any up close or 3 gun style shooting so rapid target shooting is out. I much rather have a multi aim point crosshair scope or " mildot" scope

I would say that that's the path I'm on....

View attachment 33232Jeep Club please tell me more.

www.capecodjeepclub.org

The Jeep Club is actually how Kris(my wife) and I got into shooting. We're were talking about guns one night at a meeting. Next thing we know, there is a pile of guns on the table. Unbeknownst to us, half of the Club folks are gun folks.. Never would have guessed it. Needless to say, here we are...

I would like to join the clubs next meeting is in October so it look as though I will have to visit you at Dr. Wheels.
I will also bring out your AR parts at the same time. What are your hours?
Thanks
John

You don't need to come see us... That's more of a way to weed out any sh@t bums... If you are interested in joining, you can call or e-mail [email protected]. She'll get you all straightened out... Just let her know who you are... I'll give her a heads up...

And no worries on the parts... Dan has hooked me up... But, no worries, we're still coming out there. A buddy of mine showed me a lower that you made him... Nice stuff!

Last edited:
no fun, lost to many parts from fling'n springs and such. Heck even a large clear plastic bag works wonders......I generally do my AR work in the basement at late hours when everyones asleep. In my underwear sitting on the floor. I dont have much of a work space.

no fun, lost to many parts from fling'n springs and such. Heck even a large clear plastic bag works wonders......I generally do my AR work in the basement at late hours when everyones asleep. In my underwear sitting on the floor. I dont have much of a work space.

WTMI.

That's pretty much awesome...
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom