• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stripping Springfield 1903

Anyone have a how-to video or any guides for stripping a Springfield 1903? I'm interested in taking the wood off and fixing a crooked rear sight.

My google fu is strong and I came up empty handed. I exhausted my efforts before posting here. There is a detailed video on youtube about the bolt disassemble, but nothing further than that.

Loosen screws in bottom of barrel bands. Take middle screw out of front barrel band. Slide bands forward. Remove screws from bottom. It's very simple except moving the bands forward sometimes is difficult because they are tight. be careful not to scratch the stock..

Last edited:
You don't need to take the stock off to do anything with that sight. If the adjusting screw is frozen I would put some penetrating oil on it and work it loose. Add oil, let it soak, wiggle it back and forth, Repeat.

Cool thanks. I wasn't sure if there was anything hidden I couldn't see.

Here is a photo of the bottom of a 1903 sight. The screw runs along the grooves at the back causing it to turn left to right. It pivots on the hole on the bottom. There isn't much to these so either the screw is stuck or the "stud/pivot hole" is corroded.

1903Rearsightbottom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom