• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stripped Lowers in MA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spt_1955

NES Member
Is the market dead in MA for stripped AR style lowers even though they are not defined as firearms under MA law? Have FFL's been told not to do ATF 4473 transfers on them?

Interestingly enough even though MA does no consider them firearms the ATF does and treats them as frames which need to go through an FFL in your resident state.

Anybody?

It's all a huge pile of insanity. I know of no dealer that will touch an AR15 stripped lower with a ten foot pole. Most won't even deal with true pre-bans ('94) which are explicitly legal as far as I can tell.

Can anyone point out where Fuhrer Healey says stripped lowers are now assault weapons? Is it the interchangeability test dealio?

This ought to be good.[popcorn]

If there is an FFL out there with the cahones to sell them I will be shocked. They, and rightfully so, are just as confused as we are. Was just in my local shop (where I purchased several receivers prior to the 20th) talking about how much this BS sucked as I really enjoyed the process of piecing together my own rifle.

What good is buying a lower if you can't turn it into a working rifle?

Well, you could, but then it's getting screwed for FA10ing a AR post 7/20 or not FA10ing and commit a felony. Lose-lose situation.

Well, you could, but then it's getting screwed for FA10ing a AR post 7/20 or not FA10ing and commit a felony. Lose-lose situation.

We are already felons in waiting. Healey is just nice enough to give us a pass for now because we didn't know any better!

You can build it into a pistol.

What gets me is a stripped lower is not a firearm per MGL, but somehow it's an AW per MA AG.

Would people let her get away with this if she moved it to include all stripped lowers (rifle and pistol)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most FFL's are terrified of getting in trouble. You could make a stripped lower into a pistol, a bolt action, and I think a pump- But no-one is willing to take any sort of risk. Hell, even semi-auto's that clearly aren't assault weapons are getting hard to come by new.

Is the market dead in MA for stripped AR style lowers even though they are not defined as firearms under MA law? Have FFL's been told not to do ATF 4473 transfers on them?

Interestingly enough even though MA does no consider them firearms the ATF does and treats them as frames which need to go through an FFL in your resident state.

Anybody?

Why do you ask ???
Are you sitting on a bunch that you're trying to get rid of ???

AR's seem to be the problem - and AK's.

There are "alternative" black rifles that dealers will transfer - I just did one this weekend (dealer handled the transfer for a private sale).

It's because the action was not the same.

I'd suggest people go read Boston's Gun Bible:

https://www.amazon.com/Bostons-Gun-Bible-Boston-Party/dp/1888766069

Because his conclusions are that what you really need is a battle rifle - and not a small calibre (AR or AK) rifle anyway.

This way you won't feel so bad that you can't get an AK or AR - and you'll go out and buy yourself a nice M1A and be happy with it. Which is what you should have anyway - and it's legal.

I don't see how you can bring in new ones "legally" at this point.

No FFL will transfer them in, and buying out of state is not possible[STRIKE=undefined] if you're a MA resident[/STRIKE].

FIFY

Per Fed Law, buying lowers/frames can only be legally done in your state of residence.

Most FFL's are terrified of getting in trouble. You could make a stripped lower into a pistol, a bolt action, and I think a pump- But no-one is willing to take any sort of risk. Hell, even semi-auto's that clearly aren't assault weapons are getting hard to come by new.

Most aren't afraid of "getting in trouble" because if it goes that far, she'll likely lose in court. Just like Boston is concerned that their AWB will be stricken down in court, so is she.

However, just like your LTC is a May Issue, so is a Massachusetts Firearms Dealers License. Any FFL who wades into this water runs the risk of losing their livelihood. Unless you're willing to put your money to support their families, it's unfair and unrealistic to expect them to put themselves in jeopardy like that.

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect most are supporting the lawsuit(s) that are coming/been filed in response to this, attending the rallies, and other public awareness events. Some are losing money by shutting their doors to send their employees and still paying them.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, OP, get some 80s and mill them yourself if you absolutely need to build an AR right now. Of course, you'll be violating the Re-Interpreted AWB and/or violating the FA10 law if you claim it was completed before 7/20

I would argue that if you owned the lower in the state pre 7/20 you can build it, but not transfer it since she said it is an assault weapon already. To be extra safe build it after the statute of limitations for the FA-10 runs out and claim you built it out right at date of purchase.

I heard a rumor she will be cracking down on personal transfers at 90 days from 7/20.

I heard a rumor she will be cracking down on personal transfers at 90 days from 7/20.

Sorry but I give that "rumor" just as much credibility as a (non) rumor that the AG is going to join GOAL and work with them to delete the AG Regs CMR!!! [rofl]

You'll get better odds for both buying lottery tickets.

Myself, Rob Boudrie and I think a few others have laid out why she isn't likely to go after individuals. I'll not repeat that info as those convinced otherwise won't bother reading and trying to understand it anyway. [thinking]

Len, do you have a link to this discussion on 'individual sales'? i'd like to give it a read.

Sorry but I give that "rumor" just as much credibility as a (non) rumor that the AG is going to join GOAL and work with them to delete the AG Regs CMR!!! [rofl]

You'll get better odds for both buying lottery tickets.

Myself, Rob Boudrie and I think a few others have laid out why she isn't likely to go after individuals. I'll not repeat that info as those convinced otherwise won't bother reading and trying to understand it anyway. [thinking]

Len, do you have a link to this discussion on 'individual sales'? i'd like to give it a read.

Sadly I believe that it is in the AG Dumpster thread. I think you can search that thread for specific posts by myself and Rob Boudrie and find it without wading thru ~7K posts. Use advanced search of the thread.

A call to the AG's office a couple days ago, I was told I could absolutely sell a stripped lower that I've owned before 7/20. Take it for what it's worth. I personally would feel fine buying or selling a lower or rifle purchased before that date. YMMV.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A call to the AG's office a couple days ago, I was told I could absolutely sell a stripped lower that I've owned before 7/20. Take it for what it's worth. I personally would feel fine buying or selling a lower or rifle purchased before that date. YMMV.

That's great but without it in writing on some sort of MA AG letterhead, it probably doesn't mean much...

I would feel comfortable doing so as well, because it complies with the actual law. But note that the AG says it's illegal, and an intern's phone conversation doesn't grant you immunity from the AG or a local DA. The internal contradictions of her ramblings never cease to fascinate me, in a scary way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom