Stripped lower assault weapon

hillman

NES Member
First, I have no intention of doing this, just curious. Looking back through a few old threads it seems that if I wanted to turn in my stripped lower that I purchased pre 7/20 but never fa10d within the 7 day period right after, at a gun buy back, I would get the full "assault weapon" gift card, right? Since the AG's office calls it an assault weapon?

And then, all of those polymer 80% lowers that I purchased for $50 each?

Your gunna get blasted for even suggesting it.
Id wanted to turn in 5 gallon pales of unsafe ammo.

The only legit issue i see with anything other then turning in homemade guns to mock the buyback is.....
By using a buyback for a legitimate purpose it legitimizes the entire concept that buybacks serve a legitimate purpose.
Instead of buybacks a PSA about turning them into ffls and making a legal exemption for immunity if transporting to an ffl after calling

Um... maybe, but why tho? You just give them more room to crow about how successful their buyback was and remove several usable lowers from circulation.

Just because you didn't FA10 it doesn't mean it's illegal, especially if you have the pre-7/20 receipt.

Re: Clarification on NFA Form 1

"We have discussed this issue with the ATF, but we don't control the licensing choices they make.

In General, our position has been that you can build out a non-compliant receiver and register your rifle, provided you retain evidence that the receiver was acquired before July 20, 2016*

Best, Garry Klien"

*retained evidence can = a copy of the 4473 on file from your dealer.

Len or Comm2a probably has more info.

First, I have no intention of doing this, just curious. Looking back through a few old threads it seems that if I wanted to turn in my stripped lower that I purchased pre 7/20 but never fa10d within the 7 day period right after, at a gun buy back, I would get the full "assault weapon" gift card, right? Since the AG's office calls it an assault weapon?

And then, all of those polymer 80% lowers that I purchased for $50 each?

If a stripped polymer lower qualifies for a buyback, I'll cast up a few cases of them and bankrupt the a******s.

It costs maybe fifty cents in material for each one...

If a stripped polymer lower qualifies for a buyback, I'll cast up a few cases of them and bankrupt the a******s.

It costs maybe fifty cents in material for each one...

Now that I can get behind, but Polymer80 lowers are f***ing expensive for the piece of shit plastic you get. I had one that the f***ing buffer tube just would not fit into. I gave up on it.

Re: Clarification on NFA Form 1

"We have discussed this issue with the ATF, but we don't control the licensing choices they make.

In General, our position has been that you can build out a non-compliant receiver and register your rifle, provided you retain evidence that the receiver was acquired before July 20, 2016*

Best, Garry Klien"

*retained evidence can = a copy of the 4473 on file from your dealer.

Len or Comm2a probably has more info.

I have a copy of the receipt from the gun store, not a copy of a 4473. And like I said, I wasn't planning on turning anything in, just curious if they qualified for an "assault weapon" buyback. But hell if I can get money for the polymers I have, I'd consider it.

Now that I can get behind, but Polymer80 lowers are f***ing expensive for the piece of shit plastic you get. I had one that the f***ing buffer tube just would not fit into. I gave up on it.

There's an excellent thread somewhere here by our own Boris walking through the process of casting lowers (use a 100% lower as the original and avoid the fun of completing them).

I've cast a couple on my own** from the info in that thread and some conversations with him. I'll eventually try shooting one, but I have to acquire the "rest" of the parts first. Not going to try a 3d printed barrel on a rifle.

** Don't cast the serial number of the original! Rub some clay into any etched lettering / logos you don't want.

Last edited:
If you want to turn something in a "buy back" , do the Boris Lego mold approach. Or buy some pipe, and end caps, drill hole in end cap, stick a nail through and say this is a dangerous slam fire gun you would like to get off the street. But please, no real guns.... That just legitimized the whole sham.

Back
Top Bottom