• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stripped A2 upper options for service rifle build?

I'm putting together a service rifle, but finding most of the standard vendors (RRA, WOA, CLE, etc.) have very little in stock for completed uppers, and stripped uppers are on somewhat infinite backorder.

I've got most of the components either in hand or found in stock (in queue for a barrel from White Oak, got a float tube from Compass Lake) but I haven't found too many options for a stripped A2 upper in stock.

Brownells has two options in stock, DPMS which I'm not super fond of, and High Standard which looks a bit more appealing (made in USA, 7075 T6).

Anyone have any opinions good or bad on the High Standard A2 upper?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ipped-hsa-15-a2-upper-receiver-prod24111.aspx

Alternately, anyone have another source, or a lighly used one kicking around?

Thanks in advance!
Greg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/390591/dpms-upper-receiver-stripped-ar-15-a2-matte
Dpms is $99 on midway I have seen one on model1sales.com web page before around 100 good luck.
Complete for $135

Thanks for the pointer. Brownells has the DPMS for $93 with a C&R discount, but their description just says "aluminum." Midway's description says 7075-T6, so that seems like a plus. Neither description says where it's made so I'm guessing it's not 'Murika.

That's why I'm looking at the High Standard option.. $104 with C&R discount, worth the extra $9 to support manufacturing in this country if it doesn't suck. I'm guessing it's good to go, but wondering if anyone has any experience with their stuff.

Just a question why didnt you just order a upper from white oak? The wait for the barrel is close to the wait for a upper?. Did you happen to call RRA to see if they have a A2 NM upper in stock? When I tried parting out a service rifle build I found it cheaper to buy the rifle. Once you add in the shipping even with C&R discounts I couldn't build for less or even with in a few hundred bucks. I know a lot of manufactures are waiting on barrels. Good thing is the demand for A2 "service rifles" is not in high demand vs the other ARs

Just a question why didnt you just order a upper from white oak? The wait for the barrel is close to the wait for a upper?. Did you happen to call RRA to see if they have a A2 NM upper in stock? When I tried parting out a service rifle build I found it cheaper to buy the rifle. Once you add in the shipping even with C&R discounts I couldn't build for less or even with in a few hundred bucks. I know a lot of manufactures are waiting on barrels. Good thing is the demand for A2 "service rifles" is not in high demand vs the other ARs

Good question. At the time I started looking, it looked like I could get a barrel from White Oak much more quickly than I could get an upper. Plus I already had some of the parts.. a flattop upper and a carry handle I was thinking about using. But the more I thought about it and read about it, the A2 upper made more sense. Even today, WOA says barrels averaging 4-6 months, complete uppers averaging 6-8 months, complete rifles 10 months behind with no orders being taken. At least they are taking orders for uppers now.. back in October I don't think they were.

I kind of enjoy putting things together as well, knowing how they work, understanding the various trade-offs and differences between the decisions each manufacturer has made. In the long run, the savings of buy vs. build is small compared to the cost of the rounds that will go down the barrel.

I'll keep my eye out for another month or so and if I don't find anything else I'll grab the HS upper from Brownells and report back. I suspect it's good to go. Barrel should be here before spring hits.

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

I have done a few A2-ish builds with DPMS stripped uppers, never had an issue with them.

Thanks! This is the kind of input I was hoping to find.

I was so frustrated trying to find parts for my varmint style upper I said screw it. Ordered a A4 NM upper and just going to mount a scope and bipod mount to that.

The ammo can be expensive especially if you don't reload. Unless your funds are deep most of the HP guys I met reload. Substantial savings there if you reload.
Even if you buy expensive bullets.

I was so frustrated trying to find parts for my varmint style upper I said screw it. Ordered a A4 NM upper and just going to mount a scope and bipod mount to that.

The ammo can be expensive especially if you don't reload. Unless your funds are deep most of the HP guys I met reload. Substantial savings there if you reload.
Even if you buy expensive bullets.

Definitely reloading already, but those Sierra Match Kings don't grown on trees :^) Eddie Coyle was right.. reloading won't save you any money. But it will let you shoot more!

If you are on AR15.com, check out the Equipment Exchange over there. You can often find brand new or very lightly used A2 uppers for sale at very good prices. I've pick up a few going that route and have gotten some pretty nice ones for around $75 complete with rear sight.

Back
Top Bottom