Striper season coming soon, who's ready?

Get a wetsuit and come swimming with me at night some time...those splashes you'll hear are propbably only seals playing around in the water.

NO THANK YOU SIR!!!!
[laugh]
You sure? This guy thought he had a decent fish on the cape while in a wetsuit..until something wanted it more. https://www.facebook.com/saltycape/posts/450848278421471
For those without FB , guy out wetsuiting tied into a decent fish until something at the top of the food chain wanted it more.
11219547_450848128421486_7888402424286342474_o.jpg11831710_450848125088153_2034752557971252189_n.jpg

There's plenty of fish to be found outside the commercial fleet. I got 348 lbs by myself for the most part yesterday. There's plenty of fish you just have to find them. If you think the amount of boats has anything to do with the lack of fish you catch you are sadly mistaken.

Nailed this 45" 36lb slob Thursday morning
fda150e12268467e9891bdc158177c0a.jpg
3b8b2b761929985ea6eb4d5b665378d3.jpg

There's plenty of fish to be found outside the commercial fleet. I got 348 lbs by myself for the most part yesterday. There's plenty of fish you just have to find them. If you think the amount of boats has anything to do with the lack of fish you catch you are sadly mistaken.

Nailed this 45" 36lb slob Thursday morning
fda150e12268467e9891bdc158177c0a.jpg
3b8b2b761929985ea6eb4d5b665378d3.jpg
Nice catch!!
I have not had a problem finding a fish or two to catch,just spoiled by being alone most of the summer.When the word gets out that fish show in numbers,I try to stay home on commercial days! That's when the ramp is jammed up with boats and it takes forever to get on and off the water.Or so many boats show up,the town closes the launch ramp when the lot is full.One of the town ramps that I used fishing and clam digging,was closed to non residents,after the fleet parked their trailers for a half mile along the roadside.This created a problem for the town residents,who voted in the change a few years back.

Ryder's cove, barn hill etc. i don't have an answer, except maybe issue tags based on history so we can fish whenever we want..... Funny thing is 10% of us catch 90% of the comm fish landed. The rest just follow us around looking for a bent rod and delusions of getting rich.

Last edited:
Funny thing is 10% of us catch 90% of the comm fish landed. The rest just follow us around looking for a bent rod and delusions of getting rich.

[laugh] I've been out on my buddy's cousin's charter boat many times and he always has a few choice words to holler out to the followers in their little whalers when they drift right through the rip that Capt is trying to put us on. I sometimes wonder if he'll start hucking filet knives at them.

Ryder's cove, barn hill etc. i don't have an answer, except maybe issue tags based on history so we can fish whenever we want..... Funny thing is 10% of us catch 90% of the comm fish landed. The rest just follow us around looking for a bent rod and delusions of getting rich.

I hear ya! I don't go to that area any longer! There are days I'm sorry I gave up my commercial slip and storm mooring in two of the best deep water harbors in the area.

I hear ya! I don't go to that area any longer! There are days I'm sorry I gave up my commercial slip and storm mooring in two of the best deep water harbors in the area.

You aren't missing much by the way of bass fishing. Funny how they re-wrote all the rules to "fix" the fishery because of the chatham aggregation... Those fish don't come anywhere near shore anymore, I don't blame them with the amount of seals, sharks and fishermen.

At the cape this week. Surf casted the last two nights around high tide on the bay side without a bite.

Rain tonight but gonna give it a a go on the ocean side tommorrow, hopefully with some live, fresh bait. Been mainly using poppers, Bombers and Fin- s so far.

any tips on the Eastham area? Think I'm gonna give Nauset Harbor inlet a try.

I only get to surf cast 1 week a year while on vacation and even then it's usually after the kiddos go to bed at night for a couple hours

At the cape this week. Surf casted the last two nights around high tide on the bay side without a bite.

Rain tonight but gonna give it a a go on the ocean side tommorrow, hopefully with some live, fresh bait. Been mainly using poppers, Bombers and Fin- s so far.

I only get to surf cast 1 week a year while on vacation and even then it's usually after the kiddos go to bed at night for a couple hours
I'd upgrade your gear and throw some chunk seal..maybe hope for a great white!!
On a serious note, I'm not fmiliar with that area, but scout aorund at low tide during the day with the kids of course, then go at night to try it. Eels are always a favorite of bass, darters in sweeoing current and the typical swimmers you are using will also work.

the fish off nauset are about 2.5 miles from the beach, nothing comes inshore anymore mainly because of the seals. youll get schoolies in the spring though.
as for fishing in the bay, sandy neck to the canal will be productive during a NORTHERLY wind, it pushes them up on the beach, otherwise they hang out in 30-50 ft of water. that slob i posted was taken in 9 ft of water 50 yards from the beach after a hard NE wind. live eels on a fishfinder rig with 6 ft of 40lb floro leader and a snelled 6/0 octopus hook would be what i would use from shore... good luck!

Had a awesome night last night, didn't catch sh!t.

Hit Coast Guard Beach for a couple hours. Wasn't going to make the walk to Nauset Inlet after running around on the beach all day with kiddos, plus the south end of CG beach was closed off due to some nesting birds and high tide.

Spend a few hours chucking sand eels, watching a cool meteor shower, having a couple beers. All while watching my surf casters tip bounce around.

Perfect relaxation.

Had a awesome night last night, didn't catch sh!t.

Hit Coast Guard Beach for a couple hours. Wasn't going to make the walk to Nauset Inlet after running around on the beach all day with kiddos, plus the south end of CG beach was closed off due to some nesting birds and high tide.

Spend a few hours chucking sand eels, watching a cool meteor shower, having a couple beers. All while watching my surf casters tip bounce around.

Perfect relaxation.
That is what its all about.

Ahhh so your the 2 surf casters Paul was talking about!

Yes sir.I'm the dashingly handsom individual on the right. Paul's been a friend of mine for a while. I've always been more comfortable in my wetsuit on a rock somewhere, but I'm getting the hang of this boat thing..and boat guys dont mind me putting fish on their deck at all.

I received a PM asking where my cousin caught that fish. He lives down by Cape Cod Canal and was likely in that area.

Im staying at the Oceans Edge. I'm gonna hit the Brewster flats tonight with some pencil poppers. Probably mostly Blues and schoolies from what I hear, but I don't care.
The wife and daughter want to go shopping in P-town, so the boy and I are gonna tag along and throw some lines in while we wait.
We usually do a charter too. I'm thinking I may see if I can get something out of Chatham tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom