• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Striper fishing 2016

Anyone doing any striper fishing? Been to the canal twice and seen a couple fish caught but haven't hooked up myself. Going to try going to Westport tonight.

I started a second thread cause all the post seam to be centered on fresh water.

I am mostly surf fishing, I sold my kayak a couple years ago but am thinking of picking up another. I miss it now that it's gone. Walked/ fished around Gooseberry Island last night till the rain got the best of my fishing partner. It seemed to have come in a lot earlier than they said it would. Got one slamming hit shortly before leaving.

The Bay was hot last week with birds and good top-water action.Got out yesterday in a North West wind with fog.Jigged some macks for bait,not sure if the bass moved or the wind killed the fishing.Fished among a ton of boats.They had a few keepers,not enough to keep me on the water.After a 90 degree day,we froze and were home early!

Hit the merrimack river friday afternoon for shad and landed 12 micro schoolies.

Went out in the yak this morning and landed two small schoolies, 4 in the 22-25 range and a 27.5

I need to get a boat bad. I have a 18' Donzi bow rider I need to clean up a little and sell this summer so I can hopefully get a smallish center console next year. My wife would rather fish than sunbath and my son is getting old enough to start to fish.

caught a schoolie at plum island Saturday night with a black bomber from shore. I have always wanted to learn how to fish the canal and am determined to do so this year.

Went out to one of our usual spots near Barnstable Harbor last night and while I got skunked, my buds caught a couple that were just over 28/ 29". A keeper's a keeper!

Sand eels are the go-to bait, but chunk mackerel works well too. Biggest striper I ever caught from shore was 42", using chunk mackerel.

Canal has been weird for me the last few years. Used to be easy with a lively eel at night or even a bare jig would catch if you let it bounce around on the rocks. Been in this long slump where I have been only occasionally catching a couple of small schoolies near shore and not the bigger guys down deep.

I drove along the Cape side early yesterday,heading off cape.There were about 4 cars/trucks parked in their fishing spots.Not may for this time of year,it might have ben due to the bad weather moving in!

Planning to head down to the Cape next weekend for some Striper fishing with my uncle. Need to get some serious casting practice in before then - Fly rods are his go to.

Going to soak some clams off Plum Islamd for a couple hours tomorrow morning. Won't catch anything, but it'll be good to get out for a bit.

Spent the past week in Maine, fishing at least twice a day, from the beach. Using fly and plugs, and sometimes chunked bait. Picked up fish every time out, except the last day. The quality of fish was mostly small, but I did manage a PB fish of a 44" taken during the first couple hours of sunlight one morning. Fishing was sporadic, as the number of fish and their size varied greatly. And there were some WINDY days. The only signs of bait were a few crabs and a bunch of sandworms -- no baitfish. Fly fishing in 40mph winds was an experience, but I did land my largest fish on a fly that day, 24". The winds did seem to blow out the seaweed though. Not a bad week.

I was down the Cape fishing for stripers on the 11th. No keepers or trophies, but lots and lots of schoolies. My first experience with stripers. Lots and lots of fun to catch.

Back
Top Bottom