Strip that used-gun purchase

Always a GOOD IDEA to dis-assemble any gun you buy used.

Glad I didn't fire this Iver Johnson s.s. M1 Carbine. Check the gas block!

IJ-gasblock01.jpg

I can see daylight!
IJ-gasblock02.jpg

IJ-gasblock04.jpg

IJ-gasblock05.jpg

Last edited:
LoginName: I'm checking on it, but unlikely. I bought the rifle in mid- August, just before moving the household from the Great Northeast to New Mexico.

When moving, I typically pull the bolts/firing pins on all guns, and hand-carry the small parts. I didn't notice this when I disassembled the gun & packed it away; probably because I was in a hurry to pack all the guns to meet the movers' deadline.

I just today got to the point in unpacking where I could open up the rifle crates & put them (the rifles) in their safes. I noticed this when I started to put the bolt back in the carbine.

Looks like a weld-fix that just split again... and not surprising that it did!
I'm not so sure it was a repair. It does look like the gas block is a welded-on assembly, at least for this commecial IJ, not machined as in a military barrel.

Edited to add: Did you notice the little flecks of brass material in & near the joint?

You should be able to find a replacement.

Also, if you use advanced edit, you can change the misspelling "Stip" in your title to "strip" which would be cool.

Well I said it looked like a repair because of the bubbled and eneven appearance of the weld... if thats original it was VERY shoddy work to begin with!

It looks like the original weld was defective. No penetration on the gas block.
It is probably safely repairable if you can find someone who is handy with TIG.

Jack

Well I said it looked like a repair because of the bubbled and eneven appearance of the weld... if thats original it was VERY shoddy work to begin with!

Understood & I agree on the poor quality weld. It could very well be a repair. I thought it might be original work from the evident fit-up between the block and the barrel. Substituting welding for machining is a typical commercial cost saving re-design. Don't really know if IJ did this on their commercial carbines.

Yep, always a good idea to completely disassemble and inspect before firing any used gun. Never know when you'll get something with bad pitting or a crack in the receiver. Not to mention a gas tube full of crud or worse a stuck firing pin.

Back
Top Bottom