striker fired weapon question

I was hoping that those of you with a lot of experience with striker fired handguns can answer this. I have a Ruger SR9C, and carry with 1 in the chamber, as well as leaving it in this condition by my bedside in case the need should arise. Anyhow, this got me thinking that being kept locked and loaded all the time basically, can't be good long term for the springs. Is this something I should be concerned about? I haven't really had any time to go to the range lately, so it hasn't been fired, just stays locked and loaded as I mentioned.

Springs wear out when they are stretched and compressed over and over, not when they are kept in either state over a period of time.

I don't know the details of the SR9, but if it's like Glocks the firing spring is only partially compressed. Pulling the trigger compresses it fully. And anyway, like Mr. Weebles said, keeping the springs compressed doesn't hurt.

Thanks, you guys have made me feel a lot better about it. I was thinking that maybe I should unchamber the round whenever it wasn't being carried, but then what good would that do me, if I needed it at night to help me get to my bigger and better guns?[wink][laugh]

I was thinking that maybe I should unchamber the round whenever it wasn't being carried
Every time you manipulate ammo into or out of a firearm you are increasing your chances of having an ND.

Just leave it alone and unload it if there is a good reason for it.

I was thinking that maybe I should unchamber the round whenever it wasn't being carried
Why?

All that would is to cause extra wear and tear on that round, possibly increasing setback of the bullet, increasing chamber pressure. There is also, as Jose mentioned, the added risk of an ND -- you would be decreasing safety, not increasing it.

Back
Top Bottom