Striker Fire or Hammer Fired for EDC?

Lmsoul

NES Member
I have been around firearms since I was a teenager. I stop shooting about 20 years ago- I consider myself new to firearms. I did a ton of googling on striker-fired vs. hammer-fired for my EDC.

I am not going to go into all the details of my research. We can have a good conversation on striker-fired and hammer safety mechanisms, the ease of training with a striker-fired, the trigger pulls on a DA/SA, or the sweet trigger pull on a SA/an opinion on EDC and safety.

I am asking for everyone's opinion on why did you choose a striker-fired or hammer-fired for EDC. I am also interested in the ratio of striker vs. hammer EDC.
MY EDC is my Bertetta Elite compact LTT

I would glady carry either but prefer striker guns because i prefer carry guns that don't have shit hanging off them like spurred hammers or safety levers etc. I carried things like Sig P239, HK USPc 40, 45, etc.... but once i touched a Gen2 G19 that was the end of most of that stuff, outside of a year or so brain disease where i thought a colt officers model was a great carry gun in the middle of all that....

I've carried both gone back and forth between large and small guns.

Finally I said f*** it and carry either a glock 17 or czp10f

I gave up on hammer fired really for capacity reasons more than anything. The only hammer fired I've had without needing mag exts was a p09 cz. However those mags are identical to p10f mags and the early gens didn't have a second window cut for interchangeability.

My hands outgrew a beretta somehow... used to love them but now my palm hangs off. Sigs weigh to much to carry. I don't like hk so that kills your big 3 hammer fired market as well.

Pocket carry for me is a Glock 43. IWB carry is a Sig P220 Compact. OWB carry would be Glock 20 or 23, or rarely a Colt Delta Elite. I like and carry both types.

I think you will be best served by figuring out which gun is most comfortable and intuitive for you to shoot with reasonable accuracy under duress.

Pretty much glock 19 these days because of the no snag design of the block.

Were i in a free state with open carry. A double stack 9mm 1911 would be in my future.

I am asking for everyone's opinion on why did you choose a striker-fired or hammer-fired for EDC. I am also interested in the ratio of striker vs. hammer EDC.
some like hammers, some don`t. :) i see no reason to deal with the hammer as modern striker designs are perfectly safe.
if you feel uneasy about carrying a striker design with one in the chamber - there is a sig p365 with an external safety now - in fact i just got one of those last month, and it is more than adequate - a gun in a G43 form factor but with 10 rounds capacity - that is difficult to beat. to each his own.

I've carried a DA/SA with safety (PPK/S), 3" 1911 SA cocked and locked, 38spl snub nose revolver and a S&W Shield no safety. I switched back and forth with them. I have finally settled on the Shield for the last 5 or 6 years. It's small enough, it just works, I can hit what I aim at with it and it never snags on anything. I carry the 8 round magazine plus one in the tube and a second magazine for a total of 17. If I need more shots than that I am probably in way over my head.

I dunno. I made the switch to striker solely cause single action pistols were not allowed in a division in one of the sports. I figger if I going to draw, shoot, reload and reholster a gun about thousand billion times every day of my frickin life might as well carry one or one very similar.

I'm not sure it really matters. Yup, 1911's jam, striker guys shoot themselves in the leg.....blah blah blah.
I'd say buy a quality gun that fits in your hand and naturally points for you, then shoot the crap out of it until you are confident that it runs and you can hit stuff with it.
Pretty quickly running the controls and trigger pull (well...with in reason) becomes a non issue.
Personally I wouldn't buy or carry another DA/SA......but then some guys that know way more and are much much better shooters than I, and could use any pistol they wanted for free have won National championships with them.

Last edited:
I have been around firearms since I was a teenager. I stop shooting about 20 years ago- I consider myself new to firearms. I did a ton of googling on striker-fired vs. hammer-fired for my EDC.

I am not going to go into all the details of my research. We can have a good conversation on striker-fired and hammer safety mechanisms, the ease of training with a striker-fired, the trigger pulls on a DA/SA, or the sweet trigger pull on a SA/an opinion on EDC and safety.

MY EDC is my Bertetta Elite compact LTT
Ask many religious questions? Next you will ask 9mm or 40SW... This truly is a personal preference. Anyone who says there is a "RIGHT" answer is full of shit. There are wrong answers. S&W Bodyguard 380 is a wrong answer.

I dunno. I made the switch to striker solely cause single action pistols were not allowed in a division in one of the sports. I figger if I going to draw, shoot, reload and reholster a gun about thousand billion times every day of my frickin life might as well carry one or one very similar.

I'm not sure it really matters. Yup, 1911's jam, striker guys shoot themselves in the leg.....blah blah blah.
I'd say buy a quality gun that fits in your hand and naturally points for you, then shoot the crap out of it until you are confident that it runs and you can hit stuff with it.
Pretty quickly running the controls and trigger pull (well...with in reason) becomes a non issue.
Personally I wouldn't buy or carry another DA/SA......but then some guys that know way more and are much much better shooters than I, and could use any pistol they wanted for free have won National championships with them.
And after you've become proficient with that one buy the other kind and shoot the shit outta that one too.
If it ever happens the balloon goes up other kind might be the one lying around on the floor....no?

Ask many religious questions? Next you will ask 9mm or 40SW... This truly is a personal preference. Anyone who says there is a "RIGHT" answer is full of shit. There are wrong answers. S&W Bodyguard 380 is a wrong answer.
I would add the S&W Shield 9mm as a wrong answer, too. I hate that POS. I concede some people like it, though.

That is a good intro- 9mm, .40. .45 .357 what is better lol

I've yet to find any striker fire pistol with a trigger (out of the box) that wasn't complete crap. I've carried my Desert Eagle 1911C without issue both IWB and OWB. I've also carried my FrankenPara OWB.

Until I find a striker fire pistol that has a good trigger (right from the box) I can't see getting one. There might be something out there, or maybe eventually, but it's sure not mainstream.

I also hate DAO pistols with a passion. Pretty much the same with any pistol that has a polymer lower (above 22LR). I had one for a while. Didn't like it. Sold it.

My Beretta has a spurless hammer so it not will snag on my clothes-- getting back to the shooting after a long layoff- I had to understand what was best for me as all members stated. in my opinion understanding the nuances of a striker vs hammer was important- one thing when I pull my beretta out my thumb is on the hammer- Re-holstering the same "thumb is on the hammer- I added safety protocols to my system-

That is a good intro- 9mm, .40. .45 .357 what is better lol

this is easy. Go with the 9mm, unless of course you are counting on the gun to help save your life one day. In that case go with 40 or 357

Last edited:
I liked the idea of the bodyguard when they came out. Then a fried got one and I tried it. Awful. He paid extra for the laser too. Didn't help.

I've carried both gone back and forth between large and small guns.

Finally I said f*** it and carry either a glock 17 or czp10f

I gave up on hammer fired really for capacity reasons more than anything. The only hammer fired I've had without needing mag exts was a p09 cz. However those mags are identical to p10f mags and the early gens didn't have a second window cut for interchangeability.

My hands outgrew a beretta somehow... used to love them but now my palm hangs off. Sigs weigh to much to carry. I don't like hk so that kills your big 3 hammer fired market as well.
You must have some giant hands. I bet that P10F works well for you though. I like my P10C and S, but the S is a c-hair too small and they f***ed up the grip design.... pinky finger gets a blood blister unless i move it under the mag.

Were i in a free state with open carry. A double stack 9mm 1911 would be in my future.
Lol in MA i carry whatever i want, and I would carry a rock before i picked that. I can hear it jamming over the internet, even.

Glock 19 IWB appendix. I put that shit on everything.

Reliability is key for an EDC gun imho.

I used to carry a 92FS and now switch between a P365 ad 45C depending on various factors. Carry what you feel most comfortable with and what you have the most practice/confidence with.

I've yet to find any striker fire pistol with a trigger (out of the box) that wasn't complete crap. I've carried my Desert Eagle 1911C without issue both IWB and OWB. I've also carried my FrankenPara OWB.

Until I find a striker fire pistol that has a good trigger (right from the box) I can't see getting one. There might be something out there, or maybe eventually, but it's sure not mainstream.

I also hate DAO pistols with a passion. Pretty much the same with any pistol that has a polymer lower (above 22LR). I had one for a while. Didn't like it. Sold it.
TP9SFx. Best out of the box striker fire trigger I have seen in a cheap fully production gun. It is only one of two striker fire guns I own and that is why.

Back
Top Bottom