Striker Fire or Hammer Fired for EDC?

I carry a Springfield Armory XDE, which is their hammer fired, DA/SA, single stack. There is a decock, so you can rack it, have 1 in the chamber, and then press the decock. If you top off the mag, you have 7 x 230 gr .45 rds at the ready. The first DA pull will be longer, but it's ready to go and it's probably safer. It has a 3.3" barrel, and is quite concealable. Finally, and importantly, it's been 100% accurate.
I have one of them. The ambi mag release was an issue for me carrying AIWB, the fabric in my jeans where the button overlap is kept hitting the lefty (right side, outside) mag release and every time I bent over the mag would drop on the floor. Happened a couple of times and I stopped carrying it. Also, when I bought it SA would send you 3 extra mags, I have 7, 8 & I believe also a 9 capacity mag.

I have one of them. The ambi mag release was an issue for me carrying AIWB, the fabric in my jeans where the button overlap is kept hitting the lefty (right side, outside) mag release and every time I bent over the mag would drop on the floor. Happened a couple of times and I stopped carrying it. Also, when I bought it SA would send you 3 extra mags, I have 7, 8 & I believe also a 9 capacity mag.

Gee, that could be embarrassing, or worse. That hasn't happened to me....knock on wood that is doesn't.

Gee, that could be embarrassing, or worse. That hasn't happened to me....knock on wood that is doesn't.

If you carry IWB at 3-4 oclock it shouldn't be an issue. I bought the gun specifically for AIWB and that little piece of fabric overlap in my jeans where the button is would just hit the release right and a little pressure and it popped. Happened twice at my kids pool both times. Once it fell right out on the ground and I scrambled to pick it up before anyone saw it. Actually thought it was the spare mag that fell out of my pocket but afterwards I realized I had two mags in my pocket. Took me a little while to process what might have happened (wasn't entirely sure if I had perhaps not seated the mag correctly). The second time I caught it before it hit the floor and realized exactly why it happened and never carried it again.

I could have looked into another holster that covered the outside (lefty) mag release but I kinda like the holsters I use plus I found the 365 so that ended my fascination w/ the DA/SA Decocker carry size gun. It was a little bigger than the Shield & 938 that I had been alternating carrying before I got it and then 365....

If size wasn‘t an issue and I could carry any gun I wanted without thoughts of concealmen, it would be either be a 92FS, Sig 226 or a 1911 since I prefer metal hammer fired guns.
My favorite cool weather carry is a full size 1911. Get a decent shoulder holster. I will even carry in warm weather with a short sleeve button down.
Two spare mags gives me plenty of ammo. It is a little easier to conceal a big gun if you are not small framed.
Shoulder rig.jpg
shoulder rig2.jpg

My favorite cool weather carry is a full size 1911. Get a decent shoulder holster. I will even carry in warm weather with a short sleeve button down.
Two spare mags gives me plenty of ammo. It is a little easier to conceal a big gun if you are not small framed.
View attachment 433365
View attachment 433366

I'm not small framed, but I don't want to wear a tent to conceal my carry gun plus I prefer to carry AIWB. I work in an office, I don't wear dress shirts untucked/unbuttoned (I do have a few Untuckit shirts I'll wear to the office but they're not big enough to pull off the shoulder holster, they're fine for IWB though). I can easily and comfortably conceal my 365 & don't see any real benefit carrying anything bigger from a comfort & size/weight standpoint. But hey, if it works for you that's great too.

I'm not small framed, but I don't want to wear a tent to conceal my carry gun plus I prefer to carry AIWB. I work in an office, I don't wear dress shirts untucked/unbuttoned (I do have a few Untuckit shirts I'll wear to the office but they're not big enough to pull off the shoulder holster, they're fine for IWB though). I can easily and comfortably conceal my 365 & don't see any real benefit carrying anything bigger from a comfort & size/weight standpoint. But hey, if it works for you that's great too.
Instead of a tent, you might try a jacket.
FWIW a 365 IWB is my every day as well. The pic was more of a weekend thing

Instead of a tent, you might try a jacket.
FWIW a 365 IWB is my every day as well. The pic was more of a weekend thing
I know you EDC the 365. The jacket thing is fine as long as you don’t take it off, I don’t wear a jacket all day. Certainly not enough to warrant training for a different carry method.

Now, if I could open carry I’d have a 92FS on each hip, lol.

Back
Top Bottom