1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Street justice in Philly

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kicker96FS, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Kicker96FS

Kicker96FS NES Member

2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i thought both the father and mother were arrested....

i would say a good lawyer could get them both off...."i was in fear for my kidnapped three children's lives..."

Fixxah, slugworth and xjma99 like this.
  3. tuna

tuna NES Member

Turns out witnesses said the guy slipped.

Repeatedly.

Fixxah, Mountain, Bt74 and 1 other person like this.
  4. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

On soap? In the shower?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

6. robjax

robjax

"the children's mother and father were in a store" - They will be charged with something.

"I'm not a fan of street justice," Philadelphia Police Capt. Jason Smith said at a press conference Friday. "I think everything should play out through us as it comes to criminal actions." - He wants someone charged...that will probably happen because...

"Police have video footage of the encounter and are trying to identify the people who assaulted Hood, Smith said."

7. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

That's the way to do it Chief , go after the ones that stopped the crime. Putz.
    Way better to let the guy get away so we can see news coverage later of your boys recovering three little corpses .
    It played out exactly like it should have and if it went down like this more often our streets would be much safer.
    It's a sad state of affairs when street justice is the only justice that you are going to get, but it is what it is.

8. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

We’ve seen in the past that a car thief has stolen a running car without knowing there was a kid in the back seat and then returned the car/kid because he didn’t know the kid was there. They grab the car quick and then realize later that the kid was there.

Such as this case earlier this month:
    Burlington car thief takes off in SUV with children inside

Chances are that this guy is a car thief, not a pedophile/kidnapper/murderer and he should have been held for the police, not beaten to death by an ignorant, angry mob. If he was a pedophile/kidnapper/murder, then tough shit pal.

new guy likes this.
  9. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

One perspective:

10. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

It’s nearly impossible to infer intent from a single written statement, but that strikes me as a lukewarm at best condemnation of street justice. But like I said, nearly impossible to infer from written text.

robjax likes this.
  11. tuna

tuna NES Member

Sorry, we’re gonna have to disagree.

I don’t buy into “all lives are precious”. I don’t care if he was “just” a car thief, he got what he deserved.

If this happened more, to all crimes against people short of trespassing the world would be a better place.

Yes, my property is worth a lot more than some dirtbag’s life.

Sadly, those who act out and make the world a little better by ridding it of oxygen thrives tend to feel the wrath of justice more than your career criminal.

Christian, Howland, Alien and 4 others like this.
  12. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Accidents happen...

Christian, Spanz and JoseyWales like this.
  13. mjbitt

mjbitt NES Member

Happy endings give Me a warm fuzzy feelings in side when the bad guy loses

Fixxah, EJFudd and xjma99 like this.
  14. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

If I ended up on a jury for this, not guilty. Don’t be a thief and you won’t get your head kicked in. It’s really very simple.

Christian and EJFudd like this.
  15. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

Mother was highly negligent. Leaving her young kids in the car, unattended, unlocked, and running... WTF was she thinking. If you're only going to be a minute at least take the keys and lock the damn doors.

I don't agree with street justice. Because angry mobs often do not take the time to do important things, like examine the evidence, preserve due process, preserve the presumption of innocence, etc.

16. JRT

JRT NES Member

I don't live too far from Strawberry Mansion, I drive through it on the reg to my kids place in North Philly. I can assure you Strawberry Mansion is not as nice as it sounds. There is another hard ghetto here called Nicetown, yeah its like Greenland and Iceland, don't buy that BS.

17. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

f*** car thieves too!

Hetzer likes this.
  18. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

so you are saying, he was just now turning his life around?

Hetzer likes this.
  19. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Not sure I would use the word negligent. Stupid- yes. But negligent? That seems more appropriate for a situation such as leaving a toddler with unattended access to a swimming pool. This issue is completely the dirtbag perp's fault.

Sure, there are cases when street justice goes awry. However, in this case I think the greater good was served.

Bt74 likes this.
  20. JRT

JRT NES Member

I'm all for street justice and if the time and place presented itself I would gladly mete it out. This guy is not a good person, he had over 30 priors, did he deserve a death sentence? He stole a car and I'm making the assumption inadvertently kidnapped three kids. The father retrieved the car within minutes. The guy is a shitbbird but did he deserve death? If I thought for a minute the people who beat him to death were thinking about justice I would probably feel better about this, my guess they just joined in on an opportunity to beat the f*** out of a neighborhood nuisance.

21. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

No, he did not deserve to die. However, the fact that he did die will serve as a much greater deterrent than the revolving door of justice that allowed him 30 priors. I'd wager that his death was not the intent of the mob that meted out the street justice.

vicorjh and JRT like this.
  22. Howland

Howland

The report I read said that the police arrived an hour after the beating.

I don't know whether that was due to their response time or whether it took that long for someone to call it in.

The whole neighborhood probably either watched or participated, and those who only watched were likely 100% supportive once they knew what he had done.

It shows that even in the most wretched environments, some civilization can be found. Maybe it's just below the surface, maybe it's covered with layers of debris, but it's there.

It probably only got called in at all when someone realized trash pickup isn't until Tuesday in that neighborhood and he was going to get pretty ripe if he laid out there until then.

23. tuna

tuna NES Member

Why not? Why didn’t he deserve his end? What good was he? At least in death he can serve as a warning to leave other people’s stuff alone.

For the record, I would never participate in vigilante justice. But if it were legal to defend property with violence, the world would be a much nicer, and more pollute place.

24. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Sometimes street justice is the only justice you'll get. Good riddance & he shall not be missed.

Bt74 likes this.
  25. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Exactly, he probably stole the car to get to church or save a child from a burning building .

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Spanz and Bt74 like this.
  26. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

So true! He’s still a POS.

27. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

I don’t buy into the all lives are precious crap either but I disagree with the rest.

28. Pete85

Pete85

How old were the children? Babies? Young teens? The article linked to in the OP makes no mention of it and we know to the left, children refers to anyone up to 26 years old. I don't see a problem with leaving the kids in the car unattended for a few minutes if at least one of them was reasonably mature enough.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Hood struck someone in the "mob" first. My WAG would be that one or more told him he was waiting there until police got there to sort that shit out and he reacted violently toward them prompting the beatdown. I could be way off on that part though.

29. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

I can’t condone or condemn this.

On the one hand I have absolute zero faith in the court system.

On the other hand I still believe in the principles of due process and a presumption of innocence. These things are difficult to impossible to get via street justice.

I can easily invision a scenario in which a woman starts yelling that “someone is stealing my car and my kids are in there!”, and this happens, when the reality is the alleged car thief is actually the custodial father and she’s the estranged wife, without custody, and was trying to take them. Now because of the mob mentality and administering street justice the father is dead. That’s the worst thing that could happen.

Obviously that didn’t happen here, it just goes to show of the perils of vigilantism.

30. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Allow me to clarify:

Technically, stealing a car plus kidnapping does not result in a capital offense. That said, I could care less that the POS died. Did you somehow miss my comment that his death would serve as a better deterrent than the catch and release crap that kept putting him on the streets?

I do agree with you that defending one's property with violence could lead to a pretty messy / polluted yard. :D

tuna likes this.