Street justice in Philly

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i thought both the father and mother were arrested....

i would say a good lawyer could get them both off...."i was in fear for my kidnapped three children's lives..."

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
"the children's mother and father were in a store" - They will be charged with something.

"I'm not a fan of street justice," Philadelphia Police Capt. Jason Smith said at a press conference Friday. "I think everything should play out through us as it comes to criminal actions." - He wants someone charged...that will probably happen because...

"Police have video footage of the encounter and are trying to identify the people who assaulted Hood, Smith said."

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"the children's mother and father were in a store" - They will be charged with something.

"I'm not a fan of street justice," Philadelphia Police Capt. Jason Smith said at a press conference Friday. "I think everything should play out through us as it comes to criminal actions." - He wants someone charged...that will probably happen because...

"Police have video footage of the encounter and are trying to identify the people who assaulted Hood, Smith said."
That's the way to do it Chief , go after the ones that stopped the crime. Putz.
Way better to let the guy get away so we can see news coverage later of your boys recovering three little corpses .
It played out exactly like it should have and if it went down like this more often our streets would be much safer.
It's a sad state of affairs when street justice is the only justice that you are going to get, but it is what it is.

Hetzer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
We’ve seen in the past that a car thief has stolen a running car without knowing there was a kid in the back seat and then returned the car/kid because he didn’t know the kid was there. They grab the car quick and then realize later that the kid was there.

Such as this case earlier this month:
Burlington car thief takes off in SUV with children inside

Chances are that this guy is a car thief, not a pedophile/kidnapper/murderer and he should have been held for the police, not beaten to death by an ignorant, angry mob. If he was a pedophile/kidnapper/murder, then tough shit pal.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It’s nearly impossible to infer intent from a single written statement, but that strikes me as a lukewarm at best condemnation of street justice. But like I said, nearly impossible to infer from written text.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
We’ve seen in the past that a car thief has stolen a running car without knowing there was a kid in the back seat and then returned the car/kid because he didn’t know the kid was there. They grab the car quick and then realize later that the kid was there.

Chances are that this guy is a car thief, not a pedophile/kidnapper/murderer and he should have been held for the police, not beaten to death by an ignorant, angry mob. If he was a pedophile/kidnapper/murder, then tough shit pal.
Sorry, we’re gonna have to disagree.

I don’t buy into “all lives are precious”. I don’t care if he was “just” a car thief, he got what he deserved.

If this happened more, to all crimes against people short of trespassing the world would be a better place.

Yes, my property is worth a lot more than some dirtbag’s life.

Sadly, those who act out and make the world a little better by ridding it of oxygen thrives tend to feel the wrath of justice more than your career criminal.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mother was highly negligent. Leaving her young kids in the car, unattended, unlocked, and running... WTF was she thinking. If you're only going to be a minute at least take the keys and lock the damn doors.

I don't agree with street justice. Because angry mobs often do not take the time to do important things, like examine the evidence, preserve due process, preserve the presumption of innocence, etc.

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't live too far from Strawberry Mansion, I drive through it on the reg to my kids place in North Philly. I can assure you Strawberry Mansion is not as nice as it sounds. There is another hard ghetto here called Nicetown, yeah its like Greenland and Iceland, don't buy that BS.

Bt74

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

f*** car thieves too!

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

so you are saying, he was just now turning his life around?

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Mother was highly negligent. Leaving her young kids in the car, unattended, unlocked, and running... WTF was she thinking. If you're only going to be a minute at least take the keys and lock the damn doors.

I don't agree with street justice. Because angry mobs often do not take the time to do important things, like examine the evidence, preserve due process, preserve the presumption of innocence, etc.

Not sure I would use the word negligent. Stupid- yes. But negligent? That seems more appropriate for a situation such as leaving a toddler with unattended access to a swimming pool. This issue is completely the dirtbag perp's fault.

Sure, there are cases when street justice goes awry. However, in this case I think the greater good was served.

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not sure I would use the word negligent. Stupid- yes. But negligent? That seems more appropriate for a situation such as leaving a toddler with unattended access to a swimming pool. This issue is completely the dirtbag perp's fault.

Sure, there are cases when street justice goes awry. However, in this case I think the greater good was served.
I'm all for street justice and if the time and place presented itself I would gladly mete it out. This guy is not a good person, he had over 30 priors, did he deserve a death sentence? He stole a car and I'm making the assumption inadvertently kidnapped three kids. The father retrieved the car within minutes. The guy is a shitbbird but did he deserve death? If I thought for a minute the people who beat him to death were thinking about justice I would probably feel better about this, my guess they just joined in on an opportunity to beat the f*** out of a neighborhood nuisance.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm all for street justice and if the time and place presented itself I would gladly mete it out. This guy is not a good person, he had over 30 priors, did he deserve a death sentence? He stole a car and I'm making the assumption inadvertently kidnapped three kids. The father retrieved the car within minutes. The guy is a shitbbird but did he deserve death? If I thought for a minute the people who beat him to death were thinking about justice I would probably feel better about this, my guess they just joined in on an opportunity to beat the f*** out of a neighborhood nuisance.
No, he did not deserve to die. However, the fact that he did die will serve as a much greater deterrent than the revolving door of justice that allowed him 30 priors. I'd wager that his death was not the intent of the mob that meted out the street justice.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The report I read said that the police arrived an hour after the beating.

I don't know whether that was due to their response time or whether it took that long for someone to call it in.

The whole neighborhood probably either watched or participated, and those who only watched were likely 100% supportive once they knew what he had done.

It shows that even in the most wretched environments, some civilization can be found. Maybe it's just below the surface, maybe it's covered with layers of debris, but it's there.

It probably only got called in at all when someone realized trash pickup isn't until Tuesday in that neighborhood and he was going to get pretty ripe if he laid out there until then.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
No, he did not deserve to die. However, the fact that he did die will serve as a much greater deterrent than the revolving door of justice that allowed him 30 priors. I'd wager that his death was not the intent of the mob that meted out the street justice.
Why not? Why didn’t he deserve his end? What good was he? At least in death he can serve as a warning to leave other people’s stuff alone.

For the record, I would never participate in vigilante justice. But if it were legal to defend property with violence, the world would be a much nicer, and more pollute place.

Hetzer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Sorry, we’re gonna have to disagree.

I don’t buy into “all lives are precious”. I don’t care if he was “just” a car thief, he got what he deserved.

If this happened more, to all crimes against people short of trespassing the world would be a better place.

Yes, my property is worth a lot more than some dirtbag’s life.

Sadly, those who act out and make the world a little better by ridding it of oxygen thrives tend to feel the wrath of justice more than your career criminal.
I don’t buy into the all lives are precious crap either but I disagree with the rest.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

How old were the children? Babies? Young teens? The article linked to in the OP makes no mention of it and we know to the left, children refers to anyone up to 26 years old. I don't see a problem with leaving the kids in the car unattended for a few minutes if at least one of them was reasonably mature enough.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Hood struck someone in the "mob" first. My WAG would be that one or more told him he was waiting there until police got there to sort that shit out and he reacted violently toward them prompting the beatdown. I could be way off on that part though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can’t condone or condemn this.

On the one hand I have absolute zero faith in the court system.

On the other hand I still believe in the principles of due process and a presumption of innocence. These things are difficult to impossible to get via street justice.

I can easily invision a scenario in which a woman starts yelling that “someone is stealing my car and my kids are in there!”, and this happens, when the reality is the alleged car thief is actually the custodial father and she’s the estranged wife, without custody, and was trying to take them. Now because of the mob mentality and administering street justice the father is dead. That’s the worst thing that could happen.

Obviously that didn’t happen here, it just goes to show of the perils of vigilantism.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Why not? Why didn’t he deserve his end? What good was he? At least in death he can serve as a warning to leave other people’s stuff alone.

For the record, I would never participate in vigilante justice. But if it were legal to defend property with violence, the world would be a much nicer, and more pollute place.
Allow me to clarify:

Technically, stealing a car plus kidnapping does not result in a capital offense. That said, I could care less that the POS died. Did you somehow miss my comment that his death would serve as a better deterrent than the catch and release crap that kept putting him on the streets?

I do agree with you that defending one's property with violence could lead to a pretty messy / polluted yard. :D

Top Bottom