• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Straw Purchases and gun trafficking

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I see Harry Reid is going to bring the gun bill to the floor that will make it illegal to do a straw purchase and also to traffic in guns.

I thought that straw purchases were already illegal? Am I missing something, or are they going to make it "more" illegal?

They will make it double plus secret illegal - this time they mean it! Then they can claim they "did something" and not actually get anyone mad ... at least not anyone who might change their vote.

Isn't it already "double illegal". First felony for the straw purchase and second felony for lying about it on the 4473?

They will try and hide and sneak in a clause that makes FTF sales illegal!

Charles.

They will make it double plus secret illegal - this time they mean it! Then they can claim they "did something" and not actually get anyone mad ... at least not anyone who might change their vote.

Isn't it already "double illegal". First felony for the straw purchase and second felony for lying about it on the 4473?

Dammit! Stop getting your logic all over this! They're doing something about it, you heartless bastards! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Straw Purchases and Gun Traffiking are both already illegal, but the democrats need something to frame their bill around that will generate public support so they can push through the other pieces of their legislation - An effective ban on face to face transfers via "universal background checks" and expanded federal record keeping and tracking authority.

Rest asure they will just stick something else in the bill..and think we are not paying attention.
Hopefully it will get read, before passing.
OH wait maybe the can get an Emergency Passage???

all they have to do is redefine these terms and who knows what will become illegal.

Well its no different that what they have done with the Banking regulations. They got rid of Glass Steagall only to re-implement the same rules on the books again ( of course this time more in the favor for the banking cabal ) it's the fine print one must concentrate on **** the noise.

If you've got a good lawyer, the 4473 is a non-issue actually. Assume that you've got a straw purchaser attempting to purchase a firearm for resale. They are in the process of committing a felony, and to require that they disclose this fact on a 4473 is a violation of their fifth amendment rights against self-incrimination, and the supreme court has held as much. So literally the paperwork can only make a criminal out of an otherwise law-abiding citizen. Food for thought.

Straw Purchases and Gun Traffiking are both already illegal, but the democrats need something to frame their bill around that will generate public support so they can push through the other pieces of their legislation - An effective ban on face to face transfers via "universal background checks" and expanded federal record keeping and tracking authority.

THIS

I think the original bill from Feinstein had something to make it illegal to sell to a prohibited person.

It probably is already illegal to KNOWINGLY sell a gun to a prohibited person, but I'm sure the gun grabbers would love to remove that word, to expand the realm of liability as far as they can!

-Mike

I looked this up in another thread about this. Suffice to say that a straw purchase is not illegal by name but you are lying on the form and people have been convicted for straw purchases. So that bill will not make it "double illegal," it will just make it illegal by name and add a 15 year felony to it whereas now it is not a felony to lie on a form 4473.

I'll try to find the thread and post.

ETA: Found it.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ckdown-clandestine-gun-sales.html#post2998917

Technically, straw purchases are not explicitly spelled out as being illegal.

However, the ATF (thanks to the GCA and possibly FOPA) has listed 6 laws that are violated when you perform a straw purchase.
18 U.S.C. §2 –Aiding & Abetting
18 U.S.C. §371 –Conspiracy
18 U.S.C. §922(a)(6) –Deceiving Statement
18 U.S.C. §924(a)(1)(A) –False Statement
18 U.S.C. §924(a)(3) –FFL False Statement
27 C.F.R. 478.128 –False Statement
http://www.atf.gov/publications/fir...etecting-avoiding-illegal-straw-purchases.pdf

Even though this technicality exists, congress is still full of retards.

Especially since people have been convicted of a "straw purchase" even with this technicality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom