• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Strange market observation on GunBroker regarding Noveske upper receivers

Reptile

NES Member
I am have been studying the availability of Noveske uppers for the past few years.
In the past 6 months, there have been next to none of the premium uppers available on GB.
Although they are not available from dealers anymore due to Noveske being a low volume company.
I know there are people who own some of these uppers.
Why not charge what the market will bear?
Surely there are people who would pay double or triple the retail for these uppers.
Yet, there are no such listings.
Are there not people out there who want to satisfy the demand and flip some of their unused uppers?
That is what is going on with ammo. People are selling for 4x retail and it's selling out.
In any crisis there are profiteers but, for some reason - people are holding on to their Noveske uppers.
To search past sales - go to advanced and completed auctions.

There is a insatiable desire for some products yet nobody is stepping up to meet the demand.

This makes no sense to me.

I am have been studying the availability of Noveske uppers for the past few years.
In the past 6 months, there have been next to none of the premium uppers available on GB.
Although they are not available from dealers anymore due to Noveske being a low volume company.
I know there are people who own some of these uppers.
Why not charge what the market will bear?
Surely there are people who would pay double or triple the retail for these uppers.
Yet, there are no such listings.
Are there not people out there who want to satisfy the demand and flip some of their unused uppers?
That is what is going on with ammo. People are selling for 4x retail and it's selling out.
In any crisis there are profiteers but, for some reason - people are holding on to their Noveske uppers.
To search past sales - go to advanced and completed auctions.

There is a insatiable desire for some products yet nobody is stepping up to meet the demand.

This makes no sense to me.

Makes perfect sense to me, if the items are, as they end up in the market, going to shooters as the first consumer and not ending up in the hands of flippers. People buying Noveske products are building fighting guns and running them, not buying them for relatively gay pedestrian pleb stuff like sitting on them and flipping. It's literally that simple.

It's functionally no different than the reason I have like a small pile of 9mm and I'm not selling much, if any of it. I would rather have it to use it than make a few hundred bucks here and there flipping. Even if I flipped the entire pile its only going to net me well under 10 grand. That's simply not "life altering" money for me. Also most people who can afford a Noveske product are not really "excited" by the notion of making (basically) relative table scraps flipping a couple of guns that they REALLY don't want to get rid of. In big kid world a working gun that's been set up ends up being worth more than the sum of its parts as a system. Selling it for the sake of making a few grand? Meh. That juice is not worth the squeeze, and is basically a fools errand.

Or let me put it this way.... if a person that has a few sets of those things sells them, the money they get is not "life changing" money. So unless they're actually a gun dealer and moving
volume of stuff, the interest level isn't going to be too high because the transactional costs are stupid. A gun dealer can justify it because that's their job and they're moving shit all day, every day, or at least 3-5 days a week or more. Even at higher profit levels volume is still the name of the game. They dont have an investment in the item other than its temporary lifespan in their inventory, either. I could also put it this way- your question is insane given this kind of context. Say you know a guy who owns a Ferrari. He bought it a few years ago as a gift to himself for surviving a nasty divorce from his ex wife. He really likes his particular ferrari. You discover an interesting fact... his ferrari is now worth $15,000 more than he paid for it when he bought it, regardless of mileage. You tell him this. He tells you "That's cool, it's great that its worth more, but I don't care, I'm still not selling it. " That's functionally what is happening here. This is exactly the same reason why I won't sell anyone the G3 19 thats on my side for anything less than $2000, despite there not even be anything special about it. There is an intrinsic value proposition of the item that transcends the market value, at least for the possessor. That type of thing tends to happen a lot with a Noveske product.

I have trouble grasping the concept of scooping up pban mags, with the only intent being to flip them. Who's got time for that crap?

Reptile. Reptile has time for that crap.

😉
My rate is minimum wage. $13.50 in Mass. For all the time I put in networking, bumping ads, answering emails, packing, shipping, and tracking - I make about less than $10.00 per hour. But, when I consider the thrill of the hunt, the fun I get from packing packages, and the excitement of meeting new people - it's all worth it.

I have a line on some items that would pay $10 per hour after expenses. It's worth it because I can work for home on my own schedule and do what I want.

It all averages out. Sometimes there is a windfall and other times you lose money due to time spent.

If you like what you do, you don't have to work a day in your life.

If you earn less than $12,000 you don't even have to pay taxes. You still have to file and account for everything but you wont owe anything after taking into account expenses.
The UPS store does not allow ammo to be shipped from there. Only hubs do and they are an hour away. But, at least the UPS drivers pick up!

Cash right now I can replace, ammo and gun parts not as easy. Yes with enough cash you can buy anything, I get that.

We are all making money, but we are all not stocking ammo, gun's and parts like we used to. Never thought I would see the day when cash isn't king but 9mm is, well maybe we are not there yet but, but darn close.

Cash right now I can replace, ammo and gun parts not as easy. Yes with enough cash you can buy anything, I get that.

We are all making money, but we are all not stocking ammo, gun's and parts like we used to. Never thought I would see the day when cash isn't king but 9mm is, well maybe we are not there yet but, but darn close.
If 9mm goes to a buck a round I'll have a hard time not selling my stash in the basement... even i can't pass up 5k lol

As to the Ops point.

People are very weird about higher end stuff.

I could've and should've bought a dd last year for 1200 off armslist but that same dude held out and is now asking 2k for it... but the gun itself is 1800ish new. At the same time rugers and Smith and wessons which were 450 all day last year around this time are going for 8-900.

I think there isn't as much of a high end market as you think. That's because the guys who would buy that shit.... already have a bunch and know it'll come back down. And the guys selling aren't making a good mark up on it. But can make good money off their ars they bought for cheap. Just my observation.

How many new gun owners did the democrats succeed in adding in the last year ? So if you bought a gun in the last 12 months & it's no ammo no shoot locally; well the law of supply, demand dictates you'll pay...ammo hyper-inflation in the age of woke.

This sounds like a troll post to justify someone paying $1,500 for a stripped lower in the WTS ads... build enough hype around an URG makes the newbs drool over the matching lower to build their dream gun? No thanks.

I have nothing wrong with good old American capitalism. It’s just at those prices it’s too steep for my blood...

😉

Better hop on these with the quickness!!!

Heeeyyyyy. Wait a minute!

This sounds like a troll post to justify someone paying $1,500 for a stripped lower in the WTS ads... build enough hype around an URG makes the newbs drool over the matching lower to build their dream gun? No thanks.

I have nothing wrong with good old American capitalism. It’s just at those prices it’s too steep for my blood...

😉
Maybe I should make them into complete lowers.

Some Knights Armaments (complete lowers) are going for $3,350.00 starting bids on GB.

Knights uppers going for $4,000.00.

When the government bans things - prices go up 10x.

Free state Noveske lowers cost $700.00.

Makes perfect sense for their Mass versions with papers to cost more.

not that long; still didn't read it anyhow. . . . .

Here's the sitch.

I buy Upper X for $1,200. I shoot it a grand total of 1.5 times on average per consumer. Put it in my safe.

Said upper is now worth $3,000. (or whatever)

I should sell, right???

BUT. . . . . . . . . . . . . what if the price never goes back down. Now I don't have an upper anymore. Not that I shot it or anything, but I don't have it.

In my mind, my upper is now worth $3,000 instant cash, so no reason to sell unless I need $3,000 in cash FAST.

So in this crazy "gimme a gun!" world right now, only those who HAVE to sell are going to sell - which makes those that are out there even MORE rare and worth MORE money.

not that long; still didn't read it anyhow. . . . .

Here's the sitch.

I buy Upper X for $1,200. I shoot it a grand total of 1.5 times on average per consumer. Put it in my safe.

Said upper is now worth $3,000. (or whatever)

I should sell, right???

BUT. . . . . . . . . . . . . what if the price never goes back down. Now I don't have an upper anymore. Not that I shot it or anything, but I don't have it.

In my mind, my upper is now worth $3,000 instant cash, so no reason to sell unless I need $3,000 in cash FAST.

So in this crazy "gimme a gun!" world right now, only those who HAVE to sell are going to sell - which makes those that are out there even MORE rare and worth MORE money.
IDK...

Noveske and KAC (Knights Armament) are the top tier guns.

Noveske is not listed or being sold to anyone.

KAC uppers are going for $6,000.00 and complete rifles are going for $7,000.00.

They are plentiful and people are buying and selling KAC.

There were probably 1,000 uppers Noveske uppers made the year before covid hit but nobody is selling.

Somebody I sold an N4 and N6 matched receiver set and all the factory parts to build out right before just sold both guns for $7500 plus shipping to give you a number to work with. Both are going to the same guy so rationalize those numbers into whatever fashion you like.
There are plenty of things that are available that just aren't for sale or aren't yet . I got in four LMT MLC 11.5" barrels and uppers to go with them and haven't even posted yet. The barrels alone have been selling for $750-900 and the MLC monolithic uppers are $800 when you can find them at LMT, Primary Arms, or Titan.
As TPNES said at this point it's more just squirreled away with no driving force to want/need to sell. I've got a couple Noveske sets squirreled away and having seen the price that he just pulled on his complete guns I might sell mine.
KAC is driven mostly by the clone community and you can still get those for normal'ish prices so I don't give much attention to those.
1611758384179.png

You have such a small market though for those lowers.

99%+ people are going to have no idea what a Noveske lower even is, so they see the price and pass right on by.

When you have stripped lowers from places going for as low as $200 and most people just want to build an AR its not gonna get a lot of looks.

I thought it was kinda funny people wait in line for a $400 aero lower, but won't look twice at the $450 KAC.
They are only invested as much as it takes to enter the game and not a dollar more explains that well enough.
You fail to accommodate for skinflint. Yes, if I'm going to overspend I might as well go all out for just a tiny bit more.
TPNES would love one of those uppers and barrels :)
You & I have worked plenty out before I'm sure we can arrange something. I'm keeping at least one for me. I actually want a SR15 complete lower because I'm running out of projects. Also wouldn't mind something from Triarc. ;)
Just finished the MARS-L as a URGI gun. Waiting for Jason to get me in my Vortex Razor 1-10 to put on it. He added it to last month's order.

I still am tempted to buy something just to meet you. You could be a retired old guy with all sorts of time. A 30-something basement dweller with all sorts of time. A billionaire hedgefund manager who just enjoys the thrill of the hunt. A secret Agent who sells firearms stuff when he's not on a mission. Inquiring minds want to know!

I still am tempted to buy something just to meet you. You could be a retired old guy with all sorts of time. A 30-something basement dweller with all sorts of time. A billionaire hedgefund manager who just enjoys the thrill of the hunt. A secret Agent who sells firearms stuff when he's not on a mission. Inquiring minds want to know!
It's far easier to meet him at one of the NES meets. I've met Reptile a couple times now. Which we need something because this lockdown lite™ is getting old.

Remember the good ol' the days pre-7/16 of being at the mill and seeing multiple dealers with cases of lowers going for rock bottom prices....

Makes perfect sense to me, if the items are, as they end up in the market, going to shooters as the first consumer and not ending up in the hands of flippers. People buying Noveske products are building fighting guns and running them, not buying them for relatively gay pedestrian pleb stuff like sitting on them and flipping. It's literally that simple.

It's functionally no different than the reason I have like a small pile of 9mm and I'm not selling much, if any of it. I would rather have it to use it than make a few hundred bucks here and there flipping. Even if I flipped the entire pile its only going to net me well under 10 grand. That's simply not "life altering" money for me. Also most people who can afford a Noveske product are not really "excited" by the notion of making (basically) relative table scraps flipping a couple of guns that they REALLY don't want to get rid of. In big kid world a working gun that's been set up ends up being worth more than the sum of its parts as a system. Selling it for the sake of making a few grand? Meh. That juice is not worth the squeeze, and is basically a fools errand.

Or let me put it this way.... if a person that has a few sets of those things sells them, the money they get is not "life changing" money. So unless they're actually a gun dealer and moving
volume of stuff, the interest level isn't going to be too high because the transactional costs are stupid. A gun dealer can justify it because that's their job and they're moving shit all day, every day, or at least 3-5 days a week or more. Even at higher profit levels volume is still the name of the game. They dont have an investment in the item other than its temporary lifespan in their inventory, either. I could also put it this way- your question is insane given this kind of context. Say you know a guy who owns a Ferrari. He bought it a few years ago as a gift to himself for surviving a nasty divorce from his ex wife. He really likes his particular ferrari. You discover an interesting fact... his ferrari is now worth $15,000 more than he paid for it when he bought it, regardless of mileage. You tell him this. He tells you "That's cool, it's great that its worth more, but I don't care, I'm still not selling it. " That's functionally what is happening here. This is exactly the same reason why I won't sell anyone the G3 19 thats on my side for anything less than $2000, despite there not even be anything special about it. There is an intrinsic value proposition of the item that transcends the market value, at least for the possessor. That type of thing tends to happen a lot with a Noveske product.
Mike brain work good...

It's far easier to meet him at one of the NES meets. I've met Reptile a couple times now. Which we need something because this lockdown lite™ is getting old.
I haven't been active here long enough for a meet and when my dad and brother went years ago I wasn't around.

better buy @Reptile a beer... it would be cheaper 🤣

Back
Top Bottom